• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the more experienced members: how many times did you switch careers?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I read that an average person switches career 3-5 times throughout their working life.

I would like to know for those who are working for quite a few years now, did you switch careers? If so, did you take a pay decrease to pursue a new career?

I can honestly see myself switching careers several times throughout my life so this is why I'm interested.

As always, any and all help are appreciated! Cheers.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I switched careers just once, for a number of reasons, but one of them was an effective pay increase.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I switched careers just once, for a number of reasons, but one of them was an effective pay increase.
Really?

From the posts I've seen you posted in, I always thought you were a dude in his early 20s who chose to pursue higher learning in Asia.

My BS and MS are pretty much in a different field than what I want to use my MBA for so I can definitely see myself switching around.

Jangofett

Reaction score
What do you mean by switching careers?
You mean from being an engineer to be a realtor?
Or do you mean from being a civil engineer in the offshore industry to a civil engineer in the automobile line?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Really?

From the posts I've seen you posted in, I always thought you were a dude in his early 20s who chose to pursue higher learning in Asia.

My BS and MS are pretty much in a different field than what I want to use my MBA for so I can definitely see myself switching around.

I am, but it isn't my first career and it's not related to my undergrad. I used to be a strength and conditioning coach/personal trainer, then decided to get out of it.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
What do you mean by switching careers? You mean from being an engineer to be a realtor? Or do you mean from being a civil engineer in the offshore industry to a civil engineer in the automobile line?
Definitely the former than the latter. I don't really see the latter as switching careers. My field ranges significantly. Some people jumped into county jobs and worked at water plants, become food inspectors, QA techs right after getting the BS. Some people went into Environmental, Health, & Safety (EHS). Some eventually transitioned into environmental engineers and consultants. Even the head honcho at my corporation jumped field. He used to work at a petroleum refinery and was recruited by my current employer. I'm talking about jumping from this to becoming a businessman or something along that line.
Originally Posted by Eason
I am, but it isn't my first career and it's not related to my undergrad. I used to be a strength and conditioning coach/personal trainer, then decided to get out of it.
Ahh, gotcha. I take it you got into it because you're into bodybuilding? This just reminded me of a funny story a personal trainer at my gym said to me. He tried to sell me a package and tried to convince me he can get me to 0% body fat.
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
=floor(sqrt(age)-2,1)

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Edit - Thought you meant experience in post count
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads