• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the mature folks - Engagments

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you do it? Anybody do something simple? I'm probably going to be attempting to pull something off this week, and I'd be interested to hear stories about awesome engagements.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
congrats!

for me, we both agreed on a general timeline to get married, fall 2011. And we both knew exactly where (the big chapel at our alma mater), and a more desired date (the Saturday when students are away on fall break, so October 8). And so one night we were reading general chapel reservation info, important since it books up notoriously fast, years ahead before they switched to the online system, where we then learned "wedding reservations for 2011 will be taken on the first business day of the same month in 2010 beginning at 8 AM Eastern Standard Time. For example, if your wedding is planned for June 2011, reservations will be open June 1, 2010 at 8 AM EXT." It was September 30th, so a collective "awww ****!" rang from the both of us. We got up early, made sure the internet worked, used quick fingers to secure the desired time and date and then later on that night one of us asked "sooo - are we engaged?" "I think so". And then a week later I gave her the ring.

It's a fitting story for us, neither being bullshitters. Our friends just got married (on their first anniversary of meeting each other), and he wisked her away on a magical surprise trip to Ireland to pop the question because LOVE LOVE LOVE is so awesome. Yeah, we've heard enough.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
my most recent friend to get engaged gave the ring to his girlfriend (now fiancee) as she was waking up, so it was the first thing she saw. apparently she was having a lord of the rings dream, and so she freaked out at the sight of it and knocked it out of his hand. they spent the next fifteen minutes searching around the floor.

i'm sure that whatever you do will make a good story, so long as she says yes.

Sazerac

Reaction score
My wife and I used to play chess all the time. She always won. So I practiced and studied. One day, we went down to Battery Park (this was a few months before 9/11, so it wasn't yet a place of sadness for us.) We always made a bet which we would only tell the other about after the game. Since I nearly always lost, I nearly always had to pay.

This time, though, I won. The bet, I told her, was that she would have to marry me. I whipped out the ring I had made for her at one of the dealers on 47th and 5th. She agreed, of course.

Our doorman was the first person to find out. Sort of sweet in a New Yorkish sort of way.

BTW, a great way to get her ring size if you don't know it is to measure it with a length of string while she's sleeping. Mark it carefully and bring the string to the jeweler.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
congrats!

for me, we both agreed on a general timeline to get married, fall 2011. And we both knew exactly where (the big chapel at our alma mater), and a more desired date (the Saturday when students are away on fall break, so October 8). And so one night we were reading general chapel reservation info, important since it books up notoriously fast, years ahead before they switched to the online system, where we then learned "wedding reservations for 2011 will be taken on the first business day of the same month in 2010 beginning at 8 AM Eastern Standard Time. For example, if your wedding is planned for June 2011, reservations will be open June 1, 2010 at 8 AM EXT." It was September 30th, so a collective "awww ****!" rang from the both of us. We got up early, made sure the internet worked, used quick fingers to secure the desired time and date and then later on that night one of us asked "sooo - are we engaged?" "I think so". And then a week later I gave her the ring.

It's a fitting story for us, neither being bullshitters. Our friends just got married (on their first anniversary of meeting each other), and he wisked her away on a magical surprise trip to Ireland to pop the question because LOVE LOVE LOVE is so awesome. Yeah, we've heard enough.

This is pretty much what we did. It was a series of negotiations about something quite obvious, not a surprise. Yeah, not the most romantic...

Sazerac

Reaction score
Screw romance. Romance helps a marriage, but practicality is what makes it last.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This is pretty much what we did. It was a series of negotiations about something quite obvious, not a surprise. Yeah, not the most romantic...
When did you slip in the pre-nup?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
When did you slip in the pre-nup?
Wasn't necessary. Good estate planning is more effective.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Wasn't necessary. Good estate planning is more effective.

Originally Posted by gomestar
damn right.

I guess I didn't spend enough (on attorneys: story of my life).
laugh.gif

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See I was thinking of doing something very simple, practical, but I also know that despite my GF is very practical I'm sure there's some element of "oh I'm the princess" that should go into this. I mean, all things being equal, I think a cutsey engagement is better than a totally practical one, even if both people are very practical (as I think we both are).

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked her in our favorite park while we were walking over a bridge. I then took her to a nice restaurant that we have been wanting to try and I had both of our parents waiting there for us. That was a huge surprise for her and she loved it. That probably wouldn't work for everyone, but both our families get along very well, and I thought it would be a great way to cap off our engagement.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took her ring shopping all over NYC and pulled a ring out of my pocket (that I had made two weeks earlier) at the end of the day.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha, bit risky, though right? What if she falls for a emerald cut you went with the princess? Being practical, I just asked her what she wanted, but implicitly said that I would make up for that lack of romance by being creative in asking her. Which is hard. I'm not creative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads