• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the love of god help me pick a coat already

likeitaloud

Reaction score
It's +5 here and slight rain 6 days out of the weak. For the past week I just can't pick a new coat. Can someone suggest something I can look at?

I don't really want a hoodie, or leather. I would wear it to class, and just generally outside.

This might sound ridiculous but I want the jacket to convey a mix between "partying like a rockstar" and "studying like an ivy leaguer." Basically something that conveys a sense of class but at the same time is trendy and cool. I guess I should be looking into something preppy?

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
This might sound ridiculous but I want the jacket to convey a mix between "partying like a rockstar" and "studying like an ivy leaguer." Basically something that conveys a sense of class but at the same time is trendy and cool.
Don't think it's posible for you to convey a sense of class, based upon the thread you recently created ragging on the Salvation Army (A few DNA strands above monkeys, or something like that.) But it may be possible for you to obtain the trendy and cool part. I know many assholes who have.​

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath

Don't think it's posible for you to convey a sense of class, based upon the thread you recently created ragging on the Salvation Army (A few DNA strands above monkeys, or something like that.) But it may be possible for you to obtain the trendy and cool part. I know many assholes who have.​

wonderful. care to suggest what your asshole affluents wear?

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
wonderful. care to suggest what your asshole affluents wear?
No. Because they're A-holes and I don't want to pass the disease along. But I'll suggest a couple of eccentricities.
I've got a sheepskin vest. It's got the still-attached wool (dyed chocolate) on the inside, the tanned skin on the out, zipper front. It's tailored very close. On super-cold days (I'm in Maine) I wear this beneath a 3/4 length wool top coat, of which I have a few, all from the 30s and 40s. I do not button the coat, but I stay very very warm. And I look, while perhaps not cool and trendy, like a mildly interesting old dood in his 60s staggering his way across the ice.​

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy Mega Sig Batman!

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
like a mildly interesting old dood in his 60s staggering his way across the ice.​

this is almost like the "preppy frat boy" look I'm going for.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Barbour Beaufort in green.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you link to the one you are talking about.

Can you google it?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
'trench Coat'.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
'trench Coat'.

I already have one remember
laugh.gif

im biased but i suggest a nice wool or wool blend slim navy peacoat.

it can be very ivy leaguish, and it can also be rockish. i think i have seen a photo of James Dean wearing a slim peacoat with the collar up and slim trousers once .
Today 03:06 PM
I've been thinking about one for a while but they are EVERYWHERE from fat girls to guys wearing them with suits. They just don't stand out at all anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads