• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the Fanboys: 2011 Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 hot-laps

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Here are the numbers from the article: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

If you're just going strictly by numbers alone. There is no way you would ever choose the M3. Mustang has slightly better performance numbers throughout. Way better gas mileage. Warranties are similar. But the 302 would be way less to work on. The as tested price the M3 was $27k more!

But, the average consumer who wants more of a status car would chose the M3 any day.

I was thinking that the M3 might be a better car around town, but with the mustangs torque numbers it would probably be more fun and lively.

Mustang is going to be cheaper to mod, but I'm not sure how many more bolt-ons the 302 could take before it reaches its limits.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I've really been enjoying my M Coupe, but I do find a major fault to be the dearth of low-RPM torque, and the concomitantly very low 1st. The car is very 'tense' and nervous to get along with. Driving the car is an effort.

On the other hand, I've driven a number of Mustangs, and even the cheapest rental had gobs of low-rev torque that has you tweaking the rears casually and without thought. They're very little work to get along with, like a lap-dog, always smiling, and tail-wagging. But, as Clarkson would say, the interior is "not a nice place to be." Just a big load of meh.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
If you're just going strictly by numbers alone. There is no way you would ever choose the M3. Mustang has slightly better performance numbers throughout. Way better gas mileage. Warranties are similar. But the 302 would be way less to work on. The as tested price the M3 was $27k more!

But, the average consumer who wants more of a status car would chose the M3 any day.

I was thinking that the M3 might be a better car around town, but with the mustangs torque numbers it would probably be more fun and lively.

Mustang is going to be cheaper to mod, but I'm not sure how many more bolt-ons the 302 could take before it reaches its limits.

I definitely would not base a car purchase solely on numbers, but as a whole, I was very surprised, especially with the lateral Gs comparison.

The M3 is a more refined car. Is someone willing to spend $25k more for that? Its up to the shopper.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
I definitely would not base a car purchase solely on numbers, but as a whole, I was very surprised, especially with the lateral Gs comparison.

This article has a great example of why the traditional car specs, like lateral g, are really meaningless. The BMW recorded 0.95 g on the skidpad, but 1.32 g on the race track. That's because the skidpad g is like an idealized, mid-corner lateral acceleration. It doesn't tell you how the car turns in, nor how the car accelerates out of a corner --- basically it doesn't tell you how the car feels to get to the 0.95 g, and how it feels to hold that 0.95 g. It could be pretty hairy to get that number, or it could be really easy. An old Porsche 911 may have the same measured skidpad numbers as a contemporaneous BMW M3, but they will feel very different approaching that limit.

Also, change the tires, and you can change the character of the car entirely.

Trying to boil down something as complex and multidimensional as a car's handling to a single number can only produce false impressions. Drive the car instead of racing them on paper.

--Andre

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
But, as Clarkson would say, the interior is "not a nice place to be." Just a big load of meh.
The interior of the 2010-2011's really aren't that bad. It might not be comparable to that of a fully optioned M3, but they are available with a host of features (comfort or performance), and the fit and finish has greatly improved over the previous generations.

....I'm interested in seeing what the 302 Boss is capable of doing. Especially considering Ford chose the M3 as it's car to beat, rather than the typical competitor (Challenger or Camaro).

M. Charles

Reaction score
I come to this thread a bit late, but I'll add my 2 cents re: the 2012 models. (Caveat: I've only seen the exterior of the Mustangs and interior photos). I never thought I would have an interest in owning an American sports car, but this new model has caught my attention. I very much like the exterior styling, and the fact that it has come to resemble its 60s predecessors more than other models that held no appeal for me. In short, I always viewed the old 60s Mustang as an American icon, and I'm thrilled that an American car company can produce *anything* these days that competes with something like the M3, even if the latter has been watered down. I wouldn't be considered a typical Mustang driver these days, but at this point I like the idea of it better than German cars, which frankly I see more of day to day than Mustangs in my part of the world. It certainly seems anti-yuppie to the core, which I like.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
man, i have hated the last 40+ years of Mustangs, as well as the stupidity that seems to have afflicted Ford for all these years, but i have to give respect to this new Mustang. and it's the GT model! no Cobra, no SVT.

i've driven the M3 but only sat in the Mustang...the M3 definitely feels like the more expensive car. so perhaps the $25k difference can be justified somewhat in the appointments, if not in performance. i would be very surprised also if the Mustang can even approach the scalpel like feel of the M3, which btw the M3 manages to deliver while also maintaining a luxurious ride if you're not pushing it.

anyway, i might need to drive the Mustang just to see what it's all about.

gateslion

Reaction score

I cant speak on the GT but the 2011 v6 models are terrible. The interior is ugly, drives like a boat, poor visibility and feels cheap. Again this is the current v6 not the gt model. I still feel the interior cant be a drastic change though so its probably still cheap in many ways.

Which trim level are we talking. The base feels cheap, because it IS cheap. The premium is supposed to be better though to me it still doesn't seem very nice. Flop down another 500$ or so for the premier accent trim and its a world of difference though. Better quality leather, upgraded dash insert, retro style billet aluminum shifter, its totally worth it and takes the interior to a whole nother level IMHO.

I'm a big fan myself, (which is why I just bought one). Now, is it an M3 competitor? No, but then I don't think it should be. The fact that if can compete mechanically is certainly a nice accolade, but in terms of fit and finish, BMW has it. Then again, if you are planning to spend the money for a brand new M3, I'd be surprised if the 5.0 GT is on your cross shop list.

For the Challenger? Ugh. Dear god no. I like the look of it, its a beautiful car, but thats it. It drives poorly, handles poorly and is slow. (when compared to the Stang and the Camaro, its direct competition) Worse yet, the interior is god awful. I mean horrendous. Its bland, cheap, poorly thought out, no scratch that. Its just NOT thought out. Its as if the interior design guys showed up at lunch the last day before sales and hadn't brought their homework, so they just sketched up something and tossed it in. Hard cheap plastic EVERYWHERE.

I'm not asking for E class styling here, but I should never pay 40,000$ and feel like I am sitting in college freshman's dodge avenger base. But hey, don't just take my word for it

gateslion

Reaction score
The problem with the Boss is, it really wouldn't make for a daily driver. If you are looking at the Boss you had better have something else for the daily commute, beause the Boss doesn't have ANYTHING in it. 41,000$ and you've got no sat nav, no ford sync, cloth seats? They arent just not included, they are not even available as options. You could have a satnav unit installed I guess, but if its going to be a sat nav radio, and one that doesn't suck, then you're going to have to upgrade the speakers and amp too. If you want better than those cloth seats you can check the 1000+ $ recaro box, or you can pay whatever god awful cost to have leathers custom installed. The point is, if you start spending the kind of money to make this car comfortable to drive off the racetrack, you'll probably spend enough to wish you would have just gotten the Shelby in the first place.

Of course I am a bit nitpicky on these things. I would rather spend the 1000$ bucks on a factory installed integrated NAV kit than spend 250$ on a Garmin, and have it suction cupped to my dash, looking out of place and sloppy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads