• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the Fanboys: 2011 Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 hot-laps

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Did I miss the part where the lap times were pretty close? I hate American cars as much as the next German-loving-car-guy, but give credit where its due. Ford is the only American car manufacturer that understands what people want, unlike GM and Chrysler who covered their ears and went "la la la" into bailout hell.

The Mustangs 'Coyote' V8, is something of a marvel to me. At no point can anyone say that particular engine is old-tech. In addition, I've yet to drive a 2011 with the track pack, but I've heard nothing but good. Sometimes I miss the low-end torque of a large displacement V8, but my more practical takes over, and I understand the reasons I had to trade my '03 Cobra in.

With that said, If I had the cash, I wouldn't oppose having an M3 in my garage, but the 5.0 GT is a great alternative for the money.

BTW....GM is finally starting to turn it around, unfortunately I can't say the same for Chrsyler.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I had to drive a domestic car, it'd either be the new Mustang, or one of those Challengers..

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
If I had to drive a domestic car, it'd either be the new Mustang, or one of those Challengers..

the challenger is so fun to drive. its kinda ridiculous but once you're inside and driving its really really fun to drive. i'm happy that they are commonplace in rental car lots now.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The real story is how the M3 has become more like the Mustang over the years, not vice-versa. Added weight, added power, added size. Convergence is hardly surprising. It's not for nothing that the M3 is often called a "German Mustang."

The E90/92 has been a real disappointment. Along with the weight/size increase you mentioned, the interior went from a driver-centric cockpit to an iDrive-centric canvas of boring. I'd much rather own an E36 or E46. Then again, I'd rather own older models of most cars.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a Corvette? That or one of the Caddy CTS would probably be my only domestic choice.

--Andre

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind one of these Mustangs in a few years when they come off leases and are super cheap...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Not a Corvette? That or one of the Caddy CTS would probably be my only domestic choice.

--Andre

Nah, I have never been a Corvette fan.. The older Stingray versions are way cool, and there's no denying current Corvettes are fun cars to drive, they just have never appealed to me..

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Nah, I have never been a Corvette fan.. The older Stingray versions are way cool, and there's no denying current Corvettes are fun cars to drive, they just have never appealed to me..

you must not be 78 years old.

Sherlockian

Reaction score
I can't see why anyone wouldn't like the Mustang. I imagine the interior and other aspects of the perceived quality must explain the $25k saving against the M3, but the only Mustangs I've seen on the road here are near an RAF base in Norfolk...they're a rarity, and as such are more exotic than a Beemer. Plus, if lineage is of any matter, the Ford has secured its legendary status more than any specific model of...well, most cars.

spencers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's not for nothing that the M3 is often called a "German Mustang."
I have never, ever, heard that before.
Originally Posted by bkk
The E90/92 has been a real disappointment. Along with the weight/size increase you mentioned, the interior went from a driver-centric cockpit to an iDrive-centric canvas of boring. I'd much rather own an E36 or E46. Then again, I'd rather own older models of most cars.
I absolutely cannot wait for the 1 series M

Racove

Reaction score
i bought the m3. this is styleforum after all.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spencers
I absolutely cannot wait for the 1 series M

As far as latest-gen BMWs are concerned, this seems to be the best option. Then again, the 1-series looks like an E46 with a womanly back-side.

kruze

Reaction score
I cant speak on the GT but the 2011 v6 models are terrible. The interior is ugly, drives like a boat, poor visibility and feels cheap. Again this is the current v6 not the gt model. I still feel the interior cant be a drastic change though so its probably still cheap in many ways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads