• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For sale thread?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just wanted to propose a new HOF thread idea and see what the opinions of the other members are. I think that something that would be a useful service to the forum members would be a thread dedicated to the sale of clothing. I know that there have been a few various topics similar to this (the great deal on Vass shoes and the Dunhill shirts), but this could be a more perminant thing. It would be a good alternative to ebay (no fees) but would have to rely on the trust of the forum members. Any thoughts/comments, please reply.

I have 2 Zegna shirts I want to sell, one I bought new online but never wore (doesn't fit me right) and the other is pre-worn but in excellent condition. The new one is creamy white with thin blue vertical stripes and the other is a shimmery light blue with a great texture and French cuffs. 17.5, 34-35 and 17.5, 36

Eric

Reaction score
VersaceMan, Thanks for the offer. I have no idea what size I wear, lol. All my current dress shirts are from Structure or Banana Republic, both of which size by S, M, L, ect. I'll try on some shirts and figure out what size I am and get back to you. My email is [email protected]. Eric

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Eric. I didn't mean to come across as soliciting, or try to use the forum for comercial purposes. I just thought it would be a useful service for the members.

Eric, the shirts are tagged a size 'Large' in addition to the numerical measurements. The stated size is 17.5 but they fit more like a 17. My problem is that I take a 16.5 or 17" neck, but I only have a 31" waist so dress shirts are always very baggy on me. I can post pictures if you are interested. However, I would have to wait until monday since the pictures are on my computer up at school.

-Eric

shoefan

Reaction score
I think this would be a very useful service, whether it is a thread or a separate page, akin to what the watch-related web sites do. I have a bunch of really awesome items that I may be selling on e-bay (brand new Kiton, Barbera Sartoriale, SaintAndrews, Lauren Purple Label, Belvest, etc.), and I assume the participants on this site would find them interesting, but I don't want to violate the non-commercial aspects of the site.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think as long as the members who choose to participate in buying/selling remain active users on the forum (instead of use the site for the only purpose of buying/selling), then there wouldn't be any problems.

Shoefan, what watch sites were you speaking of?

shoefan

Reaction score
Watchnet.com has a "trading post" page to post items for sale and wanted-to-buy

timezone.com has a "sales corner" within its "community" section for the same purpose.

Both of these sites have a level of detail, contributor expertise, and participation that are impressive.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea for a post topic. I'm looking to sell a Canali Proposta suit, size 40R American. Three button, no vents, Three piece (high button vest), in brown twill. The trouser waist is narrow, about 30-31"; I'd let it go for $100. Superb condition.

vero_group

Reaction score
This idea has come up several times before. The last I heard about it, Steve B. was going to talk to the mysterious "J." who owns the board to get his or her opinion on the matter. I may also remember hearing that this feature might end up on Steve B.'s www.MensSpecialtyRetail.com site instead of here on The Style Forum. Either way, I do remember Steve B. saying that it would be likely that sellers would have to pay for the privilege to advertise. Perhaps they are still trying to sort that all out. Steve?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the idea too. And I wouldn't mind spending a bit for the right to mention some of my nicer items on the forum. And I'm guessing I'd buy a lot too.

I spoke to Steve about this not too long back. He is working on it but his hands are tied until he can speak to J about it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Well- my hands aren't THAT tied. We could do a HOF thread, but I'd prefer to add a separate category to the six we have now. This would allow for more expansion and separate subcategories (e.g. shoes, tailored clothing, jewelry/cuff links) as I think it would be a very popular category...

How about I e-mail J again, and the we just start the HOF in a couple of days if I don't hear back?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Fair enough idea, but I'd suggest taking some of the other HOFs off before putting a new one up. Some of those haven't been updated in a while, and they are cluttering up the top of the forum.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I love the idea of having a sales thread. I do not have anything to post but it would save someone such as myself a great deal of time in terms of not having to search the net for certain items. By the way, if anyone has any suits in a 42 long or any winter jackets in a similar size, please do post.

Eric

Reaction score
I would also like to alert you all looking to sell that I may be interested in suits in size (elusive 38L) and 40R American, with slacks W31-32 L32. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

mrprlover

Reaction score
I feel the idea is a good one.

However, there has to be some way to "update" and keep the "ads" current. In the current format (in the form of threads) things could get rather confusing. After a while the topic would get very long, as there will be no way of determining if an item is still in inventory, sold or in the process. (For instance, how would I know that the shirts being sold on page 1 are still available?) Yes I could email every single person individually, but it might be a good idea to know this without/before inquiring further. I guess one could simply do a search in the "For Sale" category, but often times I am just perusing around looking for nothing in particular, willing to buy if something nice became available.

That's the only concern that comes to mind. I would trust someone here 100-times more than someone on ebay.

shoefan

Reaction score
However, there has to be some way to "update" and keep the "ads" current.
The watch sites do this by having the listings automatically expire after 7 days; further, each listing is a separate thread, to which the seller can add "SOLD" when the item is no longer available.  If an item is not sold after 7 days, then the seller can relist it.  A simple search function can also help an interested party look for  items based on listed size, color, or maker (assuming the seller provides this information in the listing).  While not being a programmer, it would seem this should not be too difficult; certainly, other sites have done it, and they don't charge anything.  That being said, the watch sites do have a much higher level of overall activity and participation than this site.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads