• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Every Piece of Clothing I Buy, I Sell/Donate Another...

JonnyUtah

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if there is already a discussion about this.

I, like many of you, am addicted to buying clothes. Over the past year, I’ve accumulated so many that I’d say I regularly wear about 50-60% of what is in my closet. In recent months, I’ve felt compelled to rid myself of items I no longer wear, wore once, or never even wore after buying. I’m trying to edit down my wardrobe and really love a select few pieces, rather than trying to amass a huge collection that will never fit in my tiny closet.

With this spirit, I’ve decided that for every new piece of clothing I buy (with the exception of socks and underwear, you can never have too many of those IMO) I will sell or donate another piece I no longer wear, or don’t care for anymore.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Would be interested to hear your opinion. Cheers!

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have done the approach you are doing, in a sense. I have amassed way too many dress shirts that most will never see the light of day. I've since slimmed the collection down to staples and such. So now have about 30 dress shirts that I am happy with.

My next, and toughest task, is slimming down my tie collection and try to build a collection of quality over quantity.

This is no easy feat, so I wish you the best of luck on this. My suggestion would be to try and sell the stuff you don't want and with the $$ buy a piece or two to add to your wardrobe that is suits your needs that you really enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads