• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

for bespoke shirt lovers (or Kabbaz):collars, cuffs, and the chosen interlining

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you prefer edge-stitched or quarter-stitched? Or do you mix it up depending on the fabric? I must admit that I like the slight puckering effect that edge-stitching seems to create. Then again, I kinda like quarter-stitching as well. How is puckering effect created by edge-stitching affected by the type of interlining used and the method of fusing?

What about the interlining used for the collars and cuffs? My shirts will usually be worn sans-tie under a sports jacket. I have RTW dress shirts, which when worn under a jacket, the collar kinda lays down flat, instead of creating a nice roll when the top button is undone. I want the roll! Is this better achieved with a certain thickness of interlining or collar style? I've communicated to my shirt-maker what I wanted and I'll see what he comes up with for the trial shirt, but I'm curious as to what other's experiences have been.

I've also read about completely un-fused collars and cuffs and am a bit confused. Normally the interlining is fused to the visible side of the fabric and over time the back of the cuff or collar becomes quite un-sightly. With no fusing at all, what happens over time? Does anyone have any pictures? I also assume that you would only bother doing this with a more casual cloth and a softer lining...

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Bump for GQG's sake, and to add a question. In A Kabbaz' great pic from Sartorial Excellence (below), how stiff are the single cuffs? My new Jantzens aren't going to be able to hack that shape.

greatcuffs7wz.jpg

HappymaN

Reaction score
Hey Alex. I notice that your personal dress collar has no "roll", but rather, I imagine that you press your collar folds with an iron to get that "straight edge" look. Is this your personal preference, or is this traditional? Also, I notice that you opt for no tie space - is this traditional? BTW, beautiful collar you have there!

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From reading some of Alex's articles on shirtmaking, I believe that he prefers edge stitching (1/16 away from the edge of the collar) so that the collar will not bend where it touches the chest.

I personally prefer quarter stitching for anything but a herringbone or noticeable twill where the fabric itself will provide quite a bit of surface interest.

For interlining, I would recommend something pretty stiff/thick if you won't be wearing a tie and if you want the collar to look crisp.

I am trying having the first button placed half an inch below the collar band in an effort to keep a spread collar shirts from falling down when worn without a tie.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
From reading some of Alex's articles on shirtmaking, I believe that he prefers edge stitching (1/16 away from the edge of the collar) so that the collar will not bend where it touches the chest.

I personally prefer quarter stitching for anything but a herringbone or noticeable twill where the fabric itself will provide quite a bit of surface interest.

For interlining, I would recommend something pretty stiff/thick if you won't be wearing a tie and if you want the collar to look crisp.

I am trying having the first button placed half an inch below the collar band in an effort to keep a spread collar shirts from falling down when worn without a tie.

The point about the collars not bending at the tip makes sense since the stays extend all the way to the tip. I also think that you make a good point about not doing quarter-stitching on any fabric with too much going on already. As for the interlining, I think I'm just going to experiment a bit until I find the right one.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like the little bit of bending that comes from the quarter-stitching but that's with a non-fused collar (though with an interlining with some guts) that rolls somewhat dramatically.

If you prefer a smoother, flatter collar such as the one AK is wearing, I think that your should really go with edge-stitching.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'puckering' unfused collars will have a slightly puffy appearance to them (as opposed to fused collars) but that's got nothing to do with the stitching so far as I can tell.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I personally like the little bit of bending that comes from the quarter-stitching but that's with a non-fused collar (though with an interlining with some guts) that rolls somewhat dramatically.

If you prefer a smoother, flatter collar such as the one AK is wearing, I think that your should really go with edge-stitching.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'puckering' unfused collars will have a slightly puffy appearance to them (as opposed to fused collars) but that's got nothing to do with the stitching so far as I can tell.

I hope Alex doesn't mind. This is an image that was posted in his "Why bespoke shirts" thread.

ThreeCollarPix01.jpg

Look at the edges of the yellow shirt on the right and you'll see what I mean. Is that collar un-fused? If so, I think the combination of it being un-fused with edge-stitching is particularly attractive.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it is a buttondown, I would guess that collar is unfused.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are stiffer collars ever un-fused? Or is it purely a more casual thing for use with a soft interlining? I really haven't seen many un-fused dress shirts in my life-time.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can make dress shirt collars that are somewhat stiff but not fused.

I believe that just about all fused collars will be stiffer than even an unfused collar with a substantial lining.

Personally, I prefer unfused collars with a heavy interlining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads