• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

for all you nycers

itzamazing

Reaction score
I don't understand the numbered streets. Can you give me a dummies version of NYC? Which numbers are bad, which are good? I'm talking downtown core.
It's very simple. Â Odd numbered streets are bad, even numbered streets are good. Below Houston, where the numbered streets end, the streets are good while the avenues are bad. Â Any thing without 'street' or 'avenue' behind it, e.g. The Bowery or Broadway, should be avoided entirely. If you have any other questions, just ask
devil.gif

I never know on this board if somoene is being sarcastic, so I'm thinking you are? If so, forgive me for responding. I'm not understanding the odd streets are bad/even are good??? I'd agree that the Avenues with the letters on the LES are especially sketchy. It's a big nightlife area, but there's some projects nearby.....They've even cleaned up Tompkins Sq Park. The Bowery was once the bowel of downtown. Bums and seedy bars everywhere. Those bars have been replaced by celebrity lounges (people who grew tired of the Soho/Tribeca scene). A giant Whole Foods is coming in to complete the gentrification and 2M condos are popping up everywhere now.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never know on this board if somoene is being sarcastic, so I'm thinking you are? If so, forgive me for responding.
"
devil.gif
" means sarcasm. Â Although I do live on the intersection of an even numbered street and an even numbered avenue. Â It's a very exclusive address.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Although I do live on the intersection of an even numbered street and an even numbered avenue.  It's a very exclusive address.
While I don't doubt that your address is more exclusive than mine - West 25th street, represent. - I can't think o f a "very exclusive" address that would be on an even numbered avenue. Park, 5th, CPW maybe, but 8th? 6th? Or even (gasp) 2nd? I don't see it...

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take Â
devil.gif
to be more of an evil, mischevous joke, not necessarily sarcastic tho'. Â Such was my intention in my previous post. Btw, for unknown reasons, the smiley that the software designates as 'sarcasm' is this: Â
sarcasm.gif
 No, I don't know why.

itzamazing

Reaction score
(dah328 @ April 28 2005,15:57) Although I do live on the intersection of an even numbered street and an even numbered avenue. Â It's a very exclusive address.
While I don't doubt that your address is more exclusive than mine - West 25th street, represent. - I can't think o f a "very exclusive" address that would be on an even numbered avenue. Â Park, 5th, CPW maybe, but 8th? Â 6th? Â Or even (gasp) 2nd? Â I don't see it...
Central Park West is 8th Ave, although I can't imagine anyone living on CPW referring to it as such. Maybe the exclusive address is in Gramercy Park? Do you have a key to the park Dah?
biggrin.gif
J/K.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Central Park West is 8th Ave, although I can't imagine anyone living on CPW referring to it as such.
Yes and no. 8th Ave turns into CPW, but 55 CPW and 55 8th Avenue are very different addresses.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I don't doubt that your address is more exclusive than mine - West 25th street, represent. - I can't think o f a "very exclusive" address that would be on an even numbered avenue. Â Park, 5th, CPW maybe, but 8th? Â 6th? Â Or even (gasp) 2nd? Â I don't see it...
I was extrapolating the exclusivity of my address from mack's "even numbers are good" heuristic. Â I probably should have included more emoticons of the Â
devil.gif
Â
sarcasm.gif
variety.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still homeless. Anyone care to throw me a bone for afforable student housing with access to lower Manhattan?
confused.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to throw me a bone for afforable student housing with access to lower Manhattan?

In the past, NYU would provide cheap student housing to people taking summer courses. The courses were inexpensive, and the housing was too. They had much more housing stock than students in the summer, and therefore someone who paid for a double/triple/quadruple might have it to himself.

Perhaps worth investigating. Not a very long term option, though.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I'm still homeless. Anyone care to throw me a bone for afforable student housing with access to lower Manhattan? Â
confused.gif
Affordable student housing does not exist the way it used to...There's an article in the New York Sun today about students and recent graduates venturing into once-dangerous neighborhoods that are now gentifrying. People are even moving into Bushwick (which, the one time I've been there, at night, was pretty scary) since Queens and the rest of Brooklyn are getting so expensive. My advice if you want to be able to afford NYC housing? Study hard and get a good job, ideally something in the banking/legal industries. Assuming you don't have a trust fund, you literally will not be able to have (quick) access to Lower Manhattan without "selling out." Which is what I essentially did, and that's why I'm typing this at the office at 9:45 pm.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They had much more housing stock than students in the summer, and therefore someone who paid for a double/triple/quadruple might have it to himself.
You can count me as someone lucky enough for this to happen to. I had a corner room in Water Street all to myself (with my own bathroom), Basically floor to ceiling windows on two walls overlooking NY Harbor and the Brooklyn Bridge. I took two of the beds and duct-taped them together forming one giant bed as well.

Not bad huh? It will be a looooong time before I can ever afford anything like that.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice if you want to be able to afford NYC housing? Study hard and get a good job, ideally something in the banking/legal industries. Assuming you don't have a trust fund, you literally will not be able to have (quick) access to Lower Manhattan without "selling out." Which is what I essentially did, and that's why I'm typing this at the office at 9:45 pm.

Wondeful. Just wonderful. I qualify for the "study hard" part, except you can exclude me from the banking/legal industries. Actually, I will be supporting the legal industries quite substantially next year, and much more in the future... It's nuts that Residents (MD variety) can't afford to live in the city when they work 80/hr weeks, and their sleep, or lack thereof, can potentially affect the outcome of a patients' life.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sympathy from me.  A NYC resident doesn't have to live in choice parts of Manhattan any more than a DC resident has to live in NW west of Rock Creek Park.  What about the other boroughs and New Jersey?  Doesn't the NYC area have a great subway and train system that makes getting around very easy?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No sympathy from me. Â A NYC resident doesn't have to live in choice parts of Manhattan any more than a DC resident has to live in NW west of Rock Creek Park. Â What about the other boroughs and New Jersey? Â Doesn't the NYC area have a great subway and train system that makes getting around very easy?
Absolutely. New York city is expensive, but some of this stuff is total BS. What do residents make? $30,000 - $40,000? A lot of people live here on a lot less, so no sympathy from me either. And there's a reason why NYC is expensive: it's one of the greatest--if not THE greatest--cities in the world. Supply and demand. Housing is expensive, but there are ways NYC can cut you some slack. For example, you do NOT need a car (or the insurance, gasoline, and maintenance that goes along with it). How much is that a month? I'm guessing (never had to pay these) at LEAST $300/month. NYU is a good idea for summer housing, but it's more expensive if you aren't taking classes, which are VERY costly. Also, if you're willing to do without AC (buy a fan), they have cheaper buildings, still in great locations. itzamazing is right in that NYC is still somewhat segregated, and it's a shame. I live in Sunset Park, a predominantly Latino neigborhood, which, sadly, seems to scare of a lot of my friends who feel better in "Park Slope." Even if where they live is actually worse than my area. And my neighbors are wonderfully friendly. My commute is only 45 mins door to door, and costs $76 a month. Also, people complain about ridiculous apartment costs, like $1,000,000 for a studio. Sure, but no-one says you need to do that. You could always buy a townhouse in Bed-Stuy. Okay, enough ranting.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Im no longer homeless... I sacrificed space for location and transport, but its all good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads