• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

for all you nycers

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
just curious, housing seems ridiculous (stayed w/ a friend about 5 years ago and he had a small place for $3,300/month. 3,300/month here where i live would get you a 6,000 sq ft place, if not more since we pay a lot less than that and have an acre of land. do your jobs pay you that much more that the net difference is about the same as what i'd make in a similar job here in tx?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jobs pay more, but not enough more. everything seems to be more expensive here than in the middle of the country - parking, babysitters, food.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The average Manhattan salary is way above the national average, but not to the extent that housing cost exceeds the average.  The problem is that the average salary is pulled significantly up by those few (bankers, law partners, etc.) who make an astronomical amount while the high housing costs are spread pretty evenly across all income levels. The percentage of income that some lower-wage people here devote to their housing is staggering, well over 50% in many cases.

dan

itzamazing

Reaction score
I recall a recent study where the average person in Manhattan makes almost $2000 a week, far above the national average. It is true that a few powerhouse fields tend to screw it up for everyone so to speak. There's also a lot of lower level service jobs that tend to drag the citywide average down (I believe its around 40k).

I don't think most jobs pay that much more, but you are paying for the experience that is NYC. Some people are ultra obsessed with having an address on Central Park West or living in a zip code where people would say, wow, you live there.

I'd say that $3300 is far from the norm here. Whenever real estate statistics are calculated it only includes Manhattan south of East 96th/West 116th...there's a whole city here besides that area, and certainly not the ghettos. The people who are spending $2700 a month on a 1 bedroom are a minority. If you want to live in a luxury rental in Chelsea, sure, but you can certainly find something for less. If you live in Brooklyn or *gasp* Queens, its certainly doable. Also, one of the important things to remember is that you do not need a car here, so you will save on car insurance/payments. All you need is a $76 Metrocard unless you will only take cabs. People will rent a 2 bedroom apt and put 4 people in it, hold onto rent controlled apts forever

PHV

Reaction score
How much would a luxury one bed room apartment cost you in NYC near the lincoln center?

itzamazing

Reaction score
How much would a luxury one bed room apartment cost you in NYC near the lincoln center?
That's a hot area these days...well the entire Upper West Side is. I'd say a luxury 1 bedroom would run between $3000-$4000 in one of the newer buildings. A friend of mine is renting in the west 80s and paying $3800 for a 1 bedroom. You could probably find something in the upper $2000s though. Note that these prices are for luxury apartments only. The Time Warner Center has really added a premium to apts on the lower Upper West Side (which includes Lincoln Center).

PHV

Reaction score
I recall a recent study where the average person in Manhattan makes almost $2000 a week, far above the national average. It is true that a few powerhouse fields tend to screw it up for everyone so to speak. There's also a lot of lower level service jobs that tend to drag the citywide average down (I believe its around 40k).

I don't think most jobs pay that much more, but you are paying for the experience that is NYC. Some people are ultra obsessed with having an address on Central Park West or living in a zip code where people would say, wow, you live there.

I'd say that $3300 is far from the norm here. Whenever real estate statistics are calculated it only includes Manhattan south of East 96th/West 116th...there's a whole city here besides that area, and certainly not the ghettos. The people who are spending $2700 a month on a 1 bedroom are a minority. If you want to live in a luxury rental in Chelsea, sure, but you can certainly find something for less. If you live in Brooklyn or *gasp* Queens, its certainly doable. Also, one of the important things to remember is that you do not need a car here, so you will save on car insurance/payments. All you need is a $76 Metrocard unless you will only take cabs. People will rent a 2 bedroom apt and put 4 people in it, hold onto rent controlled apts forever
I don't understand the numbered streets. Can you give me a dummies version of NYC? Which numbers are bad, which are good? I'm talking downtown core.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The average apartment price in NYC is now over $1mm.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
alot of the cops and firemen live near where I do, in the suburbs

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In Manhattan, roughly speaking, avenues run north/south (the length of the island), while streets runs east/west (the width of island). Broadway cuts across the island on the diagonal, and runs from northwest to southeast. Avenues are numbered starting on the east side and progress numerically as you go west. So First Avenue is the eastern-most avenue (parallelling the East River), while 12th Ave. runs up the west side of the island (parallelling the Hudson). The numbered streets start at Houston Street and go higher as you go north. Below Houston (the older part of the city, containing the Lower East side, Little Italy, Soho, Chinatown, Tribecca and the Financial district) all streets are named & you'll need a map unless you know where you're going
lookaround.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the numbered streets. Can you give me a dummies version of NYC? Which numbers are bad, which are good? I'm talking downtown core.
It's very simple. Â Odd numbered streets are bad, even numbered streets are good. Below Houston, where the numbered streets end, the streets are good while the avenues are bad. Â Any thing without 'street' or 'avenue' behind it, e.g. The Bowery or Broadway, should be avoided entirely. If you have any other questions, just ask
devil.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's very simple. Odd numbered streets are bad, even numbered streets are good. Below Houston, where the numbered streets end, the streets are good while the avenues are bad. Any thing without 'street' or 'avenue' behind it, e.g. The Bowery or Broadway, should be avoided entirely. If you have any other questions, just ask
devil.gif

Why, that's just...just stupid. (Not that SoFLA is any better instead of street numbers or avenues we go by neighborhoods...
dozingoff.gif
) Jon.

itzamazing

Reaction score
It's not that certain numbers are bad or good. I certainly don't mean to inject race into this discussion, but here goes....96th st was once commonly known as the Mason Dixon line of NYC. Manhattan is a very segregated (much more than in the South I've found) and the brown people lived north of 96th, so realtors in their marketing excluded this part of the Manhattan as they felt that anyone desirable (read - with money) would not want to live in the area. Thus, every available statstic complied by the big real estate firms is careful, even to this day, to point out that the numbers only apply to the areas south of e96th/w116th. It was even so bad that tourists were told if they ever got lost, never go above 96th. (The reason for 116th on the west side is because of Columbia U and the gentrification of Morningside Heights...fancy/marketing name for Harlem, LOL).

These are mass generalizations of course and things have defintely changed..whites are now buying in Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood. Now people (mainly white) are *discovering* these areas and calling them potential gems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads