• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For a good drink in San Francisco,

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hit Bourbon and Branch. I think reservations are necessary on the weekends, but they really make a fantastic cocktail Definitely the best place for a drink in SF since the Redwood Room was ruined by Starck/Schrager.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fun place with great energy is the Slanted Door at the Ferry Building. Not as under the radar as Burbon and Branch, but the drinks and bar food are terrific. I take all out-of-townies there to take in the view and to get refreshed.

After shopping around Union Square, Campton Place is quiet, elegant and has great service. I especially like the trio of olives, crisps and nuts that they give with each cocktail. We went in there last year after the lighting of the Christmas Tree and had champagne. Just a few feet away are thousands of people and good old CP becomes a quiet refuge.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
A fun place with great energy is the Slanted Door at the Ferry Building. Not as under the radar as Burbon and Branch, but the drinks and bar food are terrific. I take all out-of-townies there to take in the view and to get refreshed. After shopping around Union Square, Campton Place is quiet, elegant and has great service. I especially like the trio of olives, crisps and nuts that they give with each cocktail. We went in there last year after the lighting of the Christmas Tree and had champagne. Just a few feet away are thousands of people and good old CP becomes a quiet refuge.
Agree on Campton Place. The restaurant is quite good as well. I like Slanted Door, but as you say, lots of out of towners. I liked it more when it was in the Mission. More than anything, I wish we could have the old Redwood Room back
frown.gif
. Sadly, my neighborhood is beer and wine only unless you want to go all the way down.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, the old Redwood room, especially when the Canadian chef brought out his stash of Cohibas to enjoy with martinis.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Matt, I give you another year before you start posting "For a good time in San Francisco..."
lol8[1].gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Matt, I give you another year before you start posting "For a good time in San Francisco..."
lol8[1].gif

I think they are calling you over of FNB.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never! You're stuck with me here. I don't even read FNB.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now if they only allowed indoor smoking.

Smoking indoors must be one of the most civilized habits a man can practice.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Now if they only allowed indoor smoking. Smoking indoors must be one of the most civilized habits a man can practice.
I agree, but pipes and cigarettes only. Indoor cigar smoking reeks of leather couches from a catalog and a big screen TV (fine in your own home though).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree, but pipes and cigarettes only. Indoor cigar smoking reeks of leather couches from a catalog and a big screen TV (fine in your own home though).

And people with Corvettes.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pipes, I enjoy the smell of, partly because so few people smoke them so it's never a concentrated smell. Cigarettes diffuse an absolutely disgusting odor. They're barely tolerable outdoors, let alone indoors. Pollute your own lungs, kthx! I really don't know how anyone can make the argument that smoking a cigarette is a "civilized" habit. Maybe that was true in the 30s, but now we know better, and did I say it was disgusting?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Pipes, I enjoy the smell of, partly because so few people smoke them so it's never a concentrated smell. Cigarettes diffuse an absolutely disgusting odor. They're barely tolerable outdoors, let alone indoors. Pollute your own lungs, kthx! I really don't know how anyone can make the argument that smoking a cigarette is a "civilized" habit. Maybe that was true in the 30s, but now we know better, and did I say it was disgusting?
I love cigarettes. I can't bring myself to enjoy them anymore, but they are both elegant and enjoyable.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smoking can be a very refined habit--just look at all the beautiful accessories.

These days smoking is much more rebellious than it ever was in the past; protesting against smoking is very Political Correct Team Spirit.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I love cigarettes. I can't bring myself to enjoy them anymore, but they are both elegant and enjoyable.

As someone who enjoyed every cigarette I ever smoked, I agree. Sitting at a cafe seems to be missing something without them. Although my clothes sure smell better. I especially miss the humidor at the Dunhill store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads