• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear

Jason762

Reaction score
Hello.

Well, I never did buy new pants, I've decided to hold off on that. Why? Well, usually in my first moth on dieting, I lose a lot of size (the diet I use is naturally diuretic in nature resulting in rapid size loss).

But one thing that is consistent throughout weight gain/loss is shoe size.

So I think I want to get new kicks to start. Then as every month progresses, buy an article of clothing as a "reward" for the loss I've made.

Anyway, here are the kicks I already own.

MyShoes.jpg

Here are the kicks I'm thinking of getting.

ConverseChuckTaylorAllStarSeasonalS.jpg

GiorgioBrutini-BeigeVeg.jpg

GiorgioBrutini-BlackBrushoffKid.jpg

GiorgioBrutini-BrownBrushoffKid.jpg

GiorgioBrutini-BrownToscano.jpg

ReefLeatherSmoothy.jpg

TedBakerLargo.jpg

Zengara-BlackFullGrainNappa.jpg

Zengara-BrownFullGrain.jpg

I've included the color variations in case one would work better than the other.

What do you think?

And what are rules for buying shoes online? I'm a size 12, should I go with that and order all my shoes in a 12? Any tips for online shoe shopping?

Thanks!

Jason

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Honestly, i'd never even consider buying or looking at any of those shoes. I'd look at the other shoes/boots threads and at the recent purchases and WAYWN thread and see if you like any of the shoes you see. If you're set on getting some of those, then i won't stop you though. For online shoe shopping i'd go look through www.zappos.com and www.shoes.com . I've used both and they've been good. Free shipping and returns which is really nice for buying shoes. Plus, they have user reviews and ratings for how true to size and width they are.

Jason762

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Honestly, i'd never even consider buying or looking at any of those shoes. I'd look at the other shoes/boots threads and at the recent purchases and WAYWN thread and see if you like any of the shoes you see.

If you're set on getting some of those, then i won't stop you though. For online shoe shopping i'd go look through www.zappos.com and www.shoes.com . I've used both and they've been good. Free shipping and returns which is really nice for buying shoes. Plus, they have user reviews and ratings for how true to size and width they are.

Hmm, disappointing to hear that. I need to do more reading on these boards. But there's so many topics and pages! It's all overwhelming.
crazy.gif
Argggg

What shoes do you usually go for, just to get some extra ideas?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I honestly couldn't advise you as i don't know your style, personality, environment, etc... and there is a new "help me find shoes" thread each week so i'm not going to start a list from scratch or anything. I desperately need some new shoes too as i hate all the ones i own but seriously, you have to just take the plunge and look at the threads. I know it's hard, but just browsing WAYWN is really good to get ideas.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No square-toe montrosities, please.

Personally, with the possible exception of the ankle boot 3rd from bottom, I'd never go near any of those shoes.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, we're not trying to be dicks, but just say "no" to everything you posted there. Some of those are straight up pimp shoes. Not sure what to recommend, as I don't know enough about your general style/wardrobe, but RM Williams are a truly great chelsea. A bit too narrow/dressy for my general aesthetic; I'm more of a straightleg and Frye guy. Throw out some more details about yourself. Oh, as far as the shoes you now own, I actually owned a pair similar to the one on the right back in '02/03, so it's all good.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick around and you'll understand why those Kenneth Cole-esque shoes you listed are monstrosities, even the laceless Chucks. You'll also ditch your own shoes inside of a couple of weeks, if not sooner. Ditto on the WAYWT thread for shoe inspiration. Double ditto on the RM Williams.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The forum hath spoken.

A good rule to follow is to stay traditional. Classic sneakers, classic boots, classic dress shoes. You won't get compliments for being avant-garde or edgy, but you will look good.

Square toes are a fad and they look ridiculous. I'm pretty sure most people here have bought them in the past and gave them to the Salvation Army afterwards. I know it happened to me.

Jason762

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yaz
Regarding your boot selections, there is an Australian brand called RM Williams that makes good quality pull-on chelsea style boots. There is a huge thread in the Men's Clothing forum you could take a look at

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=rm+williams

Here is a site where you can check out their line:

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/

I checked it out. I like the French Veal Calf Turnout

Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Yeah man, we're not trying to be dicks, but just say "no" to everything you posted there. Some of those are straight up pimp shoes. Not sure what to recommend, as I don't know enough about your general style/wardrobe, but RM Williams are a truly great chelsea. A bit too narrow/dressy for my general aesthetic; I'm more of a straightleg and Frye guy. Throw out some more details about yourself. Oh, as far as the shoes you now own, I actually owned a pair similar to the one on the right back in '02/03, so it's all good.

I'm asking for opinion, no one is gonna come off as a dick, just opinionated.

You stated you didn't know my general style/wardrobe, and asked me to throw out some more detail about myself... Straight up, I don't know my style. I like Saucemaster's style and a lot of Berlin Report's stuff. I've been collecting pics from the What Are You Wearing Now thread. Should I put 'em up in a photobucket album?

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Stick around and you'll understand why those Kenneth Cole-esque shoes you listed are monstrosities, even the laceless Chucks. You'll also ditch your own shoes inside of a couple of weeks, if not sooner. Ditto on the WAYWT thread for shoe inspiration. Double ditto on the RM Williams.

Hmm, alright thanks. Straight up, I like the looks of the square toe. Am I doomed?
frown.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
The forum hath spoken.

A good rule to follow is to stay traditional. Classic sneakers, classic boots, classic dress shoes. You won't get compliments for being avant-garde or edgy, but you will look good.

Square toes are a fad and they look ridiculous. I'm pretty sure most people here have bought them in the past and gave them to the Salvation Army afterwards. I know it happened to me.

Alright thanks. I'll keep an eye out for "classic" shoes. I'm not sure what "classic" means, but I'm sure as I keep reading these boards I'll find out.

Thanks fellas! I'm gonna spend some time reading and researching and hopefully I'll come back with better shoes.

atroopan

Reaction score
The French Veal Calf Turnout is the ****. Let me repeat that - the French Veal Calf Turnout is the ****. I have never wanted to keep touching my shoes as I have when wearing these puppies. I like my Kangaroo Craftsmens too, but it does run narrow in the toebox to be wearing all day - more for dressing up jeans for a night out kinda thing for me.

I see all types of people wearing those square toed turning up boots, and I always thought it looked silly. Thats just an opinion though. I dunno if you wanna look into the Alden shell cordovan boots too - they look pretty good, but may be better for crappy weather wear - especially with that commando sole. I'm seriously considering getting a pair for the upcoming season.

troop

p.s. - a calf has 'donated' its skin for you so make sure you respect the French Veal Calf turnouts if you do decide to get them.

Jason762

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
p.s. - a calf has 'donated' its skin for you so make sure you respect the French Veal Calf turnouts if you do decide to get them.

How should I take care of them? You mean like polishing and buffing and stuff?

I always get scuff marks on my shoes. Is it just something that happens, or is it avoidable?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jason762
How should I take care of them? You mean like polishing and buffing and stuff?

I always get scuff marks on my shoes. Is it just something that happens, or is it avoidable?

It's gonna happen sometimes, but you can take off a scuff with a good polishing. I agree with everyone else about the shoes. If you post some pics of what you typically wear we might be able to better recommend some shoes to you, be they desert boots, dress boots, oxfords, or sneakers or whatever is appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads