• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear with slim jeans

Empire

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding footwear to go with my slim jims. The leg opening is 16" so quite standard.My feet are a size us 9 so not particularly big, but I have tried my adidas italia and clarks desert boots and they just look too long and seem to look better with my RRDS. I also tried my spring court which although low profile they are very wide so they look a bit off against the tube leg fitted look. I'm sure theres loads of cool alternatives out there but i cant come up with anything right now. I'm sure someones gonna mention chucks....

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha, chucks!

i think spring court's look good w/ slim shoes...

any hightops

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Desert boots, like all chukkas, are generally going to look better with slight boot cuts. A chelsea would go quite well with slim jeans, however.

Empire

Reaction score
I cant put my finger on why adidas doesnt look right with slim jeans. Despite the fact all my adidas are originals and slim / low profile they just look odd with slim jeans. Is it just me ?

tangerine

Reaction score
I wear hightop Chucks or RM Williams with my Slim Jims.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monkstraps and jodhpur boots.

For an example, check out Stazy's AE Moras in this picture:

img0956cg4.jpg

bsyde82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Empire
I'm having trouble finding footwear to go with my slim jims. The leg opening is 16" so quite standard.My feet are a size us 9 so not particularly big, but I have tried my adidas italia and clarks desert boots and they just look too long and seem to look better with my RRDS. I also tried my spring court which although low profile they are very wide so they look a bit off against the tube leg fitted look. I'm sure theres loads of cool alternatives out there but i cant come up with anything right now. I'm sure someones gonna mention chucks....

most of my denim is that size and my footsize is around yours as well...

for sneaks, im a big fan of asics onitsuka mexico's...i have it in a variety of colors...and they got simple color schemes like my all off white w/ brown soles and more loud versions like a velcro/orange asics stripe type...all of which, imo, looks sick w/ all slim denim w/ 16"(ish) leg openings

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
I wear hightop Chucks or RM Williams with my Slim Jims.

RMW all the way
biggrin.gif

For a more "put together" look, I really like wholecut shoes...

oakoner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Desert boots, like all chukkas, are generally going to look better with slight boot cuts. A chelsea would go quite well with slim jeans, however.

Out of curiosity, why would you say that chukkas look better with a slight boot? I mean besides the fact that chukkas are a boot by definition.

there are many very slim ankled chukkas. would that apply?

Im not trying to give you a hard time. I just want to know what your basing this on.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainly, the shape of the top of the boot. They're relatively low cut boots with a very wide shape at the top. Slim cut jeans rarely break well over this. There are exceptions, obviously, but I find it's generally accurate.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oakoner
Out of curiosity, why would you say that chukkas look better with a slight boot? I mean besides the fact that chukkas are a boot by definition.

there are many very slim ankled chukkas. would that apply?

Im not trying to give you a hard time. I just want to know what your basing this on.

I have a couple chukkas that look nice with slim jeans.

To answer the OPs question, it all depends on how slim the jeans are and how big your feet are. For instance, some people can pull off chucks with slim jeans, but I wear an 11-11.5 and chucks w/ slim jeans make me look like a damn duck.

If jeans are really slim, like Cheap Mondays for instance, I don't know what to recommend. For regular slim jeans, however, I love to wear chelsea boots, adidas sambas, monk straps (or pretty much any dress shoes), desert boots.........

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vans Eras, Authentics and slips are pretty good bets imo.

IIRC, Rye, who's a guru as far as I'm concerned, hated when Cheap rocked the jeans-tucked-into-boots thing on WAYWN one time - I remember cause it's one of the few times I've seen it. I actually kind of like it - I think it's tricky to pull off, but killer if/when it works.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Empire
I cant put my finger on why adidas doesnt look right with slim jeans. Despite the fact all my adidas are originals and slim / low profile they just look odd with slim jeans. Is it just me ?

me too. I have a bunch of adidas originals and they *do* look awkward with slim jeans, and better with something a bit slouchy. Chucks are obvious, but they do work great with a skinny jean.

other than that, for me anyways (as evident by most of my WAYWT pics) I like boots and slim dress shoes with slim jeans.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
IIRC, Rye, who's a guru as far as I'm concerned, hated when Cheap rocked the jeans-tucked-into-boots thing on WAYWN one time - I remember cause it's one of the few times I've seen it. I actually kind of like it - I think it's tricky to pull off, but killer if/when it works.
I kind of liked it. I didn't think it was incredible, but I really disagreed with Rye.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm gonna try and work up the balls to rock it next winter...

And I think Stan Smith Vintage and/or Vulcanized might work. Also, agree with GS - imo beat-to-sh** wingtips look damn good with slim jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads