• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear Poll: conservative versus sleek

Which footwear style do you prefer: conservative or sleek?

• Conservative

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Sleek

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The footwear styling issue has been of particular interest to me of late with many conservative members chastising the sleeker of the group and the overall macro shift of the forum over the past 18 months or so. So for the sake of this poll/discussion, I thought it would be interesting to actually quantify the footwear issue. While some of the brands listed below as an example have models that cross into both areas, think of the macro codes of the brand.

Conservative: John Lobb, Alden, Allen Edmonds, Crockett & Jones, Vass, etc.
Sleek: Gaziano and Girling, Corthay, Berluti, Bontoni, Sutor Mantellassi, Carmina, etc.

Begin debate.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It all depends upon the look one seeks to present. I've never liked the idea of everyone dressing alike.

Of the shoes in my closet 78.8% are 'conservative' while 21.2% are 'sleek'.

Xenon

Reaction score
The shoe must match the outfit. As such I prefer sleek outfits and this requires a sleek shoe

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brands listed in "conservative" vs. "sleek" have their own range of sleekness - Crockett & Jones is closer in sleekness to Carmina than the conservative look of AE (or bulkier Alden).

As a matter of choice, I try to balance conservative and sleek, trying to find that middle ground in between. Whether that sends me to C & J or to Sutor Mantellassi depends entirely upon the particular pair of footwear . . .

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my recent purchases have been conservative round-toe oxfords from C&J or Church's.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
OP, please feel free to edit your original post by (generally) categorizing more brands some more brands: Church's, Tricker's, Loake, Alfred Sargeant, Edward Green, St. Crispin's, etc.

Geezer

Reaction score
Not voting, because my choice is straight down the middle.

Most of my shoes are EGs, any of which are much "sleeker" than AEs, without going to the excesses of some of the European makers.

Lasts matter. EG 202s are conservative but not blobby, 82s are sleek without being radical, and 88s and 888s are in between.

My regular rotation includes a few pairs of Churches on forgettable but inoffensive lasts like the 73 or 173 (never really checked which, I just wear the things), and a pair of Poulsen Skones of similar traditional but not excessively blobby shape. All less sleek than EGs, though not much less than a 202, and conservative without being clunky (see: Trickers). My few pairs of loafers are principally C&J made on the 69, which is a fairly sleek loafer last, at least by Bass Weejun standards, though not by French or Italian ones. And somewhere I have some old C&J punch-caps that are less "sleek" than their current offerings, but no more "conservative" than Church's current offerings.

There is a happy medium, if you look for it. It is not a bad place to be.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are shoes of classic stylings such as EG Chelsea, Asquith, Inverness, etc. on the 888 or 808 last or C&J Audley on the 337? Conservative? Sleek? Both?

Whatever - they are perfect for me.

gambit50

Reaction score
Question has way too many variables. I want to say conservative but I wear one brand on the list and really dislike 2 others.
And I don't find all of the 'sleek' brands to be so over the top.
I think I would say, I like traditional style shoes done with elegance. The wheel is good enough, I just want a racing slick.
Not that I don't fancy some new creations I see but most appear to be wacky for the sake of wackiness.
I think another issue I have with some of the one offs if you move beyond the 'sleek' into the bespoke designs is that if a shoe requires a limited range
of outfits for use, I cannot value it as highly as one that has a larger range.

glenjay

Reaction score
It might be better to make the distinction between conservative and sleek using last models rather than brands in general. I think the EG 888 last and the JLP 7000 last are good examples of sleek; and the style I prefer.

That being said, my collection is a pretty even mix because good looking shoes come in all shapes.

I would define the range as the Alden Barrie last as about the most conservative and the EG 888 as about the most sleek.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The footwear styling issue has been of particular interest to me of late with many conservative members chastising the sleeker of the group and the overall macro shift of the forum over the past 18 months or so. So for the sake of this poll/discussion, I thought it would be interesting to actually quantify the footwear issue. While some of the brands listed below as an example have models that cross into both areas, think of the macro codes of the brand.

Conservative: John Lobb, Alden, Allen Edmonds, Crockett & Jones, Vass, etc.
Sleek: Gaziano and Girling, Corthay, Berluti, Bontoni, Sutor Mantellassi, Carmina, etc.

Begin debate.

I love the 'sleek' lasts in your 'conservative' brands, i.e., JL 7000/8000, C&J 348/358, Vass U. And I love the 'conservative' lasts in your 'sleek' brands, i.e., G&G GG06.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As noted, there is a general flaw in the entire premise of this due to the variability amongst brands and the general subjectivity of what defines "sleek" and "conservative." What you consider sleek, I may consider conservative. For instance, I consider the JLP 7000 to be extremely conservative, yet glenjay considers it sleek.

One of the things that I tried to consider was the true "heart and core of the brand."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love conservative shoes with a twist (clour,patina,quirky details)...

I do qualify for both..

HughJ

Reaction score

I love the 'sleek' lasts in your 'conservative' brands, i.e., JL 7000/8000, C&J 348/358, Vass U.  And I love the 'conservative' lasts in your 'sleek' brands, i.e., G&G GG06.

Exactly. It would be better left to debate lasts than brand names.

Edit: as to the question at hand, I don't like to go far in either extreme.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads