• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Footwear for tonight in Chicago (downtown)?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Safe to wear dress shoes or stick to foul weather footwear?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty

I vote dress shoes.

OldSchoolCharm

Reaction score

Did a snow storm hit Chicago and are the outdoor walkways salted? Do you wish to ruin your dress shoes with salt and snow?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
I thought the accepted SF wisdom was that dress shoes should only be seen and not heard.

FTFY.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Where in Chicago are you going?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OldSchoolCharm
Did a snow storm hit Chicago and are the outdoor walkways salted? Do you wish to ruin your dress shoes with salt and snow?

Chicago got hit with a major snowstorm over a week ago and some of the sidewalks are still not cleared- one presumes that the loop has been done, though. I'm heading downtown later- I'll report back if things are still a mess.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Chicago got hit with a major snowstorm over a week ago and some of the sidewalks are still not cleared- one presumes that the loop has been done, though. I'm heading downtown later- I'll report back if things are still a mess.

I'm downtown, it is sloppy. Oak street has a narrow walkway carved out of surrounding snow bank. They pushed the large volume of snow onto the sidewalk to open up parking on the street. There was parking on only one side of the street for several days last week. Snow from clearing 2 lanes was piled up in the parking lane on the street.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore dress shoes , walked around or over slush/snow. Had boots in the trunk for backup.
Went downtown to the Chicago Theatre (Anita Baker) and later up north to the Green Mill (Dee Alexander).

Vigilant

Reaction score
Yep, I went out last night downtown, then headed up to Lincoln Park, Lakeview wearing Fifth Ave's....had to go to the men's room at every stop to give them a good wipe down. Hopefully after this week's warm up and subsequent rain we will be good to go

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.