• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear for Rainy Commute

Booter

Reaction score
-----------

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
swims, dress boots with danite soles, or, if it is really brutal out and I want to wear something particularly nice, Timberland boots with my dress shoes in my bag.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dainite soles are great for wet weather.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I wear Aldens in the rain. Their soles (Redenbach I believe) maintain their grip and dry quickly. Also their leather is quite tough and maintains its shape - the opposite of the buttery and more comfortable leather used by EG and Weston.

Booter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I wear Aldens in the rain. Their soles (Redenbach I believe) maintain their grip and dry quickly.
I like this.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden double soled, shell cordovan. Nearly indestructable.

For torrential downpour, anything with Danite/rubber sole.

Swims are effinate, impractical, lame.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a pair of vintage storm welted bostonians I got at a thrift store for 24 bucks. Looks nice and I don't care about beating them up. Even after many days in the rain they still look quite good. They have leather soles and I haven't had any problems except in slippery snow.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Alden double soled, shell cordovan. Nearly indestructable.

This. With the rain we've had lately, my Aldens have gotten a lot of wear.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of AE cliftons as my wet weather beaters. Also have a pair of mezlans if the weather is real bad.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Booter
If an Alden is worn every other day for a short commute (less than 1 mile total) and around the office, how long can I expect it to last assuming proper care? What's the life cycle like - what repairs does one "normally" expect and what are approx costs for such?
I would imagine 2 years until you need a resole and that you would get at least 3-4 resoles out of them. If you topy they would last more or less indefinitely.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Careful with this advice Some shell cordovan can permanently stain from a single drop of water. (search the threads) Many SF'ers do not let their shell see a drop of moisture, myself included. Also, some leather soles can get utterly obliterated in the rain. Here's a good example I posted http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=160984

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads