Footwear Etiquette

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kenwhite, Feb 14, 2012.

1. kenwhite

kenwhite New Member

As we head into warmer weather, I usually begin to wear loafers and canvas sneakers without socks, particularly with shorts or cuffed up jeans. Where I live, many of my neighbors and friends ask guests to remove their shoes in their homes. I was wondering if you ever have encountered similar situations and if you usually go barefoot in such situation or make sure you are wearing socks if you go to a "shoes-off" house?

2. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

I request "no shoes" in my house, and I always give folks a heads-up about that when they're invited over; I also provide "house shoes" (a Japanese custom I picked up living there).

If I *know* I'm headed someplace where shoes will be removed, I certainly wear socks. That said, I've been ambushed with it a few times, and I just happily complied with my bare feet :)

DH

3. Marko6969

Marko6969 New Member

We are a shoes off house. We all wear slippers.I wear stylish leather slippers.guests are warned in advance that we are a shoes off house so they can bring slippers or socks with them if they choose. When visiting I take my slippers. Not everyone like their guests to go barefoot or in socks.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

wear no-show socks (that cover more foot and don't get mistaken for peds) such as Falkes; problem solved.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Where's that thread on this same subject that got pretty heated?