Football --- Euro '08, Transfers, etc.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by rdawson808, Jun 4, 2008.

1. jhao

jhao Senior member

i don't blame ronaldo on that one. the german steps on his foot on purpose, which was worthy of a card, but if ronaldo doesn't put on that act, there would have been no card given. in the end, justice was done.

yes ronaldo acted a lot in that, but clearly the german steps on his foot intentionally,so the yellow card was deserverd.

2. alan

alan Senior member

Wth? The german did not step on his foot after the foul. It was a total act.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

He stepped. The UEFA broadcasted enough revese angles.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

[​IMG]

watch the video and pause it at 00:37. one could make the argument that the german deserved a red.

5. alan

alan Senior member

He stepped. The UEFA broadcasted enough revese angles.

Oh wait. i just saw it. he did step. My bad. (at 0:37 seconds for those who missed it). And ive been telling everyone for 2 days that he didnt step lol

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Ronaldo is still a huge wuss. I don't care if it was a foul or not. Get the hell up and stop acting like a pussy.

I don't care if America never wins a World Cup, our sports never get taken seriously on a worldwide scale, and soccer dies a quiet, laughable death here if I never have to witness American sportsmen acting in such a manner. I don't care how great of an athlete you are, or how talented and how much money you make; if your skill set in the end, is worth nothing more than who can draw attention to themselves best by writhing around on the ground, you aren't an athlete, you are an actor.

The fact that soccer allows such behavior, and even in effect, encourages it, is preposterous. Even the NBA realizes that flopping is killing their sport, and have taken measures to curtail it. (We'll see how well it works next year) I haven't given a crap about basketball in a long time either, by the way.

There was a time when the strategy in sports was, no matter how tired you were, or how bad you hurt, to never show your opponent. To tough it out until you could no longer continue. Your willpower and toughness were a part of your athleticism. Christiano Ronaldo will never be tough. He will never have a moment in history like Kirk Gibson had in the 1988 World Series. He will never have a moment to truly dominate the field of play with his athleticism and prowess alone, because he's always looking for the easy way out.

7. manicturncoat

manicturncoat Well-Known Member

For all his talent Ronaldo will never have the class of a Kaka or Gerrard, players I would take over him any day.

8. Raz

Raz Senior member

Euro 2008

Croatia vs Turkey

one of the best match so far

9. benecios

benecios Senior member

Ronaldo is still a huge wuss. I don't care if it was a foul or not. Get the hell up and stop acting like a pussy.

I don't care if America never wins a World Cup, our sports never get taken seriously on a worldwide scale, and soccer dies a quiet, laughable death here if I never have to witness American sportsmen acting in such a manner. I don't care how great of an athlete you are, or how talented and how much money you make; if your skill set in the end, is worth nothing more than who can draw attention to themselves best by writhing around on the ground, you aren't an athlete, you are an actor.

The fact that soccer allows such behavior, and even in effect, encourages it, is preposterous. Even the NBA realizes that flopping is killing their sport, and have taken measures to curtail it. (We'll see how well it works next year) I haven't given a crap about basketball in a long time either, by the way.

There was a time when the strategy in sports was, no matter how tired you were, or how bad you hurt, to never show your opponent. To tough it out until you could no longer continue. Your willpower and toughness were a part of your athleticism. Christiano Ronaldo will never be tough. He will never have a moment in history like Kirk Gibson had in the 1988 World Series. He will never have a moment to truly dominate the field of play with his athleticism and prowess alone, because he's always looking for the easy way out.

Nobody outside the US knows or cares who Kirk Gibson is,thats the difference.
    Football is the biggest sport in the world,get over it!! I for one am sick of hearing your whining in the football threads.
    Baseball,Basketball and American Football bore the shit out of me thats why I don't post in the threads.
    A strange thing about your rant is that the biggest diver/play-actor we have ever had at Utd is RVN who you seem to be a big fan of.

10. benecios

benecios Senior member

The more I read your post the more ridiculous it becomes.Kirk Gibson,Kirk Gibson,who the fuck is Kirk Gibson?
    World Series? Just remind me who participates in that again?

11. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

rant rant rant rant rant...the same one we hear every time there's a football thread

TS, really, what's the point? Do you come into these threads just to bust our balls about how much you hate the sport? Why?

I'm asking you politely: please stop.

b

12. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

watch the video and pause it at 00:37. one could make the argument that the german deserved a red.

Okay, I saw it. CR was stepped on. However, to say it deserves a red implies that it was intentional. That seems harsh. They guy ran by him.

A yellow to the guy who tripped him, but no card for anyone else unless you can read minds.

b

13. romafan

romafan Senior member

USA! USA! USA! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Slim - There are 'Kirk Gibson' examples in all sports, just as there are examples of athletes acting like pussies and trying to cheat and put one over on the ref. It's ridiculous to claim that football (i.e. soccer) 'allows such behavior' - it is a (lamentable) case of players seeking an advantage within the relatively simple structure of the game. They can't steal signals, film the other team's huddles, cork bats, doctor-up the balls, etc. It's a recognized and regretable distraction from the game, and an efffort is being made to address the problem. It doesn't chane the incontrovertible fact that the beautiful game of football is the greatest sport in the world! [​IMG]

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Nobody outside the US knows or cares who Kirk Gibson is,thats the difference.

No, I'm sure you don't but if you respected heart, and toughness, and the will to win, you'd care. Instead, all you seem to want to do is want to pick fights with me when I express frustration at something that is as plain as the light of day. Let me put it this way. Half the people INSIDE the US don't know who Kirk Gibson is. Thats not the point. The point is that he has the heart of a competitor, the drive to win, and the talent and luck to get there. Tiger Woods, I assume you know who that is. He has these things too. Did you see what he did last week? I hate watching golf, and I was glued to my television because HE IS A CHAMPION... Does Ronaldo, or even Van Nistelrooy have it in them to win while playing in that kind of pain? Legends do. Competitors do.

I dunno, they've probably never tried. Ronaldo, and anyone who dives and play-acts like he does to draw sympathy, is playing like a selfish bitch. (and yes, I feel that way about Ruud sometimes too)You should be glad he's on his way out.

( I see that he's been booked for diving at least once this year with Manchester )

I understand that you are a Manc. And at the moment Ronaldo is still your guy, but he's been trying to stab you in the back all year and get transferred to Real. If he doesn't get his way, will he forget it, step up, and play quality football next season? Probably not. Cause he's not interested in winning.

Well guess what, there's no restriction that says you cant, And I don't care if you are sick of me or not. Ignore me if you want. But it just makes you someone who can't hold a conversation with someone who doesn't agree with you. I don't care if Soccer is the biggest sport in the world or not, The sport's worldwide popularity has nothing to do with the stupidity of some of its rules at the professional level.

Do you think kids playing soccer in the street in Brazil practice flopping around on the ground in agony to try and get someone punished? Do you think thats an admirable value to be teaching kids is ok? I know that If I would have tried that shit when I was playing youth soccer, I probably would have been yelled at by my coach, and probably laughed at by the other kids. Thats not how you play that game.

I agree, many times when he was at Man-U he acted like a complete ass. Thats a part of his game I've never liked, and he hasn't really been doing it as much lately, as far as I can tell. Then again, he is also the eighth all time leading scorer for Manchester, in only five years of playing there and is capable of playing hard inside the box. I've seen him do it. Ronaldo had a good year, but he plays (in Euro 08 at least) like a selfish prick. He won't be around long enough to make it up that list.

I'll be watching Ned/Rus today, and I'll be upset if Ruud starts that crap again. I have a feeling though that Van Basten would take him out of the game. Van Persie and Robben are the heart and soul of that attack anyways.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

TS, really, what's the point? Do you come into these threads just to bust our balls about how much you hate the sport? Why?

I'm asking you politely: please stop.

b

I don't hate it. I hate how some players play it. There's a difference.

I have been watching Euro 08 all week while I've been sick. Does that sound like someone who hates soccer?