• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Food Help

Hollywars

Reaction score
I've been trying to lose weight, I'm around 5'10 and 225, trying to get to maybe 190.

I'd say I eat relatively healthily, especially compared to most kids my age, I'm 16.

I eat
Breakfast:

3 egg omelette with vegetables

Lunch:

3 clementines, a granola bar, a turkey sandwich, and a greek yogurt

What I'm having trouble doing is getting my family to help by keeping healthy food around, and dinner.

What are good things to eat as snacks, and what are some good things that are simple to make for dinner? My mom is wheelchair bound and my dad works a lot so I end up doing a lot of cooking, so simple is good, but I'd try some more labor intensive stuff.

I think the real issue I'm having is getting protein without eggs, I don't want to eat eggs for breakfast lunch and dinner and I want to stay away from processed prepackaged meat, but I don't really know what else to try.

For those of you that think I'm downing a flat of eggs a day, I don't and don't plan to, I am just trying to figure out some healthy things to eat.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Second, nobody needs more than 45-55 grams of protein a day. Your body will simply burn the excess as fuel. Nitrogen burns hotter, so you'll just make yourself uncomfortable in the coming summer months.
Third, if you abandon animal products, your weight will slowly settle down to the correct weight for your height and build. Abandoning vehicles and walking will make you burn fat and exhale it as carbon (which is what the fat's made of). But that's only if you're serious about being fit. If not, go off on some faggoty gym-rat fantasy about big, hard men, and drive to the store to buy a flat of eggs.

Nice attempt there. Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy sources of protein that aren't eggs: roast chicken (easy to do, or can buy pre-roasted) or beef, turkey, pork chops. Lean + cheap ways of getting protein: pulled pork: cover a pork butt roast in spices, then roast in a dutch oven or w.e for 5 hours on 300 or so. Remove, toss with some kind of sauce, eat on buns. Or post roast with beef. Basically, big cheap cut of meat + time + wet heat = delicious food with leftovers. Mr White vs. Everyone enclosed.
Mr White, we've had this arguement twice already but here it goes: you are an emaciated runner. Ask anyone who has actually done hard work a day in their lives, and while the more extreme protein "requirements" are, well, extreme, even Not A Virus, the most irritating troll on H&B, said that 70-120 grams was what was needed - .8-1.6 g/kg is the more commonly cited literature value, and the lower estimate in any sort of athletic circle is usually closer to 2.4-3.2 g/kg. Having a quarter of your daily intake come from protein results in 125 g/day at a minimum - which for the 75 kg "average person", is perfectly in line with 1.6g/kg. Now, you may not "need" more than 55g/day (which is a number you got from a WHO report) in order to prevent starvation, but guess what? Most people like being healthy, not "barely not starving". And while the body "does not have an infinite ability to repair", you are ignoring the fact that a) you haven't proven what this maximal rate is b) I heal way faster than some people I know. Incidentally, they eat way less protein than I do - and they're not eating less than 55g/day. N=2 and all, but still. And lastly, humans (nor hominids) are not herbivores. We, need I remind you again, hunted Mastodons and Mammoths to extinction. Chimps hunt in packs, and they are our closest relatives. We have canines for ripping into meat. We have medium length guts (in between carnivore and herbivore).

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read "Fit for Life" by Harvey Diamond . It'll give you a template for a lifestyle change. Plus, it includes dozens of easy to make healthy recipes. You'll lose weight if you follow the guidelines. Promise.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Read "Fit for Life" by Harvey Diamond . It'll give you a template for a lifestyle change. Plus, it includes dozens of easy to make healthy recipes. You'll lose weight if you follow the guidelines. Promise.

This is a very good book and it does work wonders although as Type 2 it no longer works for me but if you wish to avoid meat try Tofu, full of protein and no fat.

Hollywars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower

I read the book, and to me it seems like the whole thing is eat tons of fruits and you can only eat one macronutrient at once, which seems just a bit ridiculous.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hollywars
I read the book, and to me it seems like the whole thing is eat tons of fruits and you can only eat one macronutrient at once, which seems just a bit ridiculous.

The fruit part until noon every day is crucial, the revised editions aren't as stringent about eating only carbs or only proteins at a meal. I've been doing it for 3 years and have lost (and kept off) 55lbs. I used to wear 38 waist jeans, now I'm a 31.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can only eat one macronutrient at once,

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Do you fast for 12 hrs between each eating?

Otherwise it gets all mixed up anyways in your gut.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Do you fast for 12 hrs between each eating?

Otherwise it gets all mixed up anyways in your gut.

No, they recommend 4 hrs between starches and proteins.

Hollywars

Reaction score
I guess I'll at least try the Fit for Life, and at least the no real food until 12. Do you think it would be ok for me to modify it to fruit only until 11?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll at least try the Fit for Life, and at least the no real food until 12. Do you think it would be ok for me to modify it to fruit only until 11?
Yes, it'll be fine. Taking care of your health is the most loving thing you can do for yourself. The benefits spill into all other areas of your life. Keep us updated. You'll feel more energetic by week 1, start to see progress by week 3 and within 6 weeks you'll be noticeably trimmer. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. It's about the kinds of food you eat and how you combine them. Stay with it. It really works. The book is less than $10. http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Life-Harve.../dp/0446300152

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads