• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Food/gourmet publication - pls help

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a great newsletter, if you really love 8,000-10,000 word essays on what some might consider to be obscure food topics. i used to subscribe and have a pretty full run through the 1990s, when I realized that despite all good intentions, i never used them for research. just as a sampler, here's what's in the winter 1990 number: Bourbon, Mexican and Tahitian Vanillas; Bay Leaves; an essay on making stock and a couple of recipes. later he became a little less John Thorne-y and more international. Winter 2001 has: Southern Piedmont, Part I; The art of Making Phyllo; Darjeeling 2, brewing Darjeeling Tea.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
it's a great newsletter, if you really love 8,000-10,000 word essays on what some might consider to be obscure food topics.
Art Culinaire is similar to this, although I don't think any of their pieces get to 10k words. Between that, and its incredible food Appreciation, it is a great quarterly to have.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
art culinaire is really different. it's chef Appreciation ... pictures of dishes and recipes. this is intellectual food Appreciation kyle. meaning words. reading. you know ...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
art culinaire is really different. it's chef Appreciation ... pictures of dishes and recipes. this is intellectual food Appreciation kyle. meaning words. reading. you know ...

I'm not an idiot, please don't speak to me as one.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that wasn't my intent, obviously, but in rereading my post, I can see where you might get that impression. my intent was to poke fun at the opposite extremes of food Appreciation -- photo chic and intellectual chic. you got in the way.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
that wasn't my intent, obviously, but in rereading my post, I can see where you might get that impression. my intent was to poke fun at the opposite extremes of food Appreciation -- photo chic and intellectual chic. you got in the way.

Meh, I'm just probably overly sensitive to stuff like that. My bad dude.
cheers.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ha ha. made you cry. (remember the last time i apologized to you?)

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It's really interesting b/c you read the magazine, and then watch the PBS show, and you realize it's incredibly obvious that it's the same guy doing it. Just a nerdy, passionate food lover.

I like that the shows can be generally caught for free. I used to subscribe and need to renew.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like this?
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Lol, no I don't. Was it epic? Did you hurted my feelings?

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM \t #331
yeah, your folks and I could have talked about what disappointments our kids were. Oh, wait, mine's GREAT! sorry kwilky. have some more shrimp.
hey you know what? as soon as I posted that, I felt like an *ssh*le. it was intended in fun and you know I think you're doing the right thing. DT does not bring out the best in me.

Wow dude, admitting you're sorry ruins the joak.
I win this round!

Besides, I'm a fat kid from the midwest with one nut.
My skin is tougher than an armadillo's, and my mug is just a touch uglier.

And leave it to an editor to feel the need to revise his post

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also want to shout out some love for old editions of Fine Cooking. I had this one early Fine Cooking magazine that had a single article about fish, where I learned more about that topic than I did reading entire cookbooks about the subject.

it's a great newsletter, if you really love 8,000-10,000 word essays on what some might consider to be obscure food topics. i used to subscribe and have a pretty full run through the 1990s, when I realized that despite all good intentions, i never used them for research. just as a sampler, here's what's in the winter 1990 number: Bourbon, Mexican and Tahitian Vanillas; Bay Leaves; an essay on making stock and a couple of recipes. later he became a little less John Thorne-y and more international. Winter 2001 has: Southern Piedmont, Part I; The art of Making Phyllo; Darjeeling 2, brewing Darjeeling Tea.

Dude, those essays sound awesome. Now, I'm interested in getting my hands on this newsletter. But, if I read that essay about making phyllo, would that actually translate into the home cook making better phyllo? Is there any way of reading one of his articles first before subscribing to it?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to me it always seems to emphasize the theoretical over the practical .... not that there'sanything wrong with that .... but look for yourself.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to me it always seems to emphasize the theoretical over the practical .... not that there'sanything wrong with that .... but look for yourself.

Yeah, but there's no sample essay to read to get an idea what a 8000 word essay is going to be like. Are the essays going to be Proustian memories of his past, a travelogue like Saveur magazine, meticulous experiments like Cook's Illustrated to come up with the 'best' recipe, etc..? Other than the title of the essays, I have no idea what I'd be getting.

Who's going to drop $50, sight unseen, for four newsletters without first getting an idea of what you're getting. At least, with other magazines, you can always go to the bookstore to flip through it first or you can find some free articles to read first on the company's website.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
Yeah, but there's no sample essay to read to get an idea what a 8000 word essay is going to be like. Are the essays going to be Proustian memories of his past, a travelogue like Saveur magazine, meticulous experiments like Cook's Illustrated to come up with the 'best' recipe, etc..? Other than the title of the essays, I have no idea what I'd be getting.

Who's going to drop $50, sight unseen, for four newsletters without first getting an idea of what you're getting. At least, with other magazines, you can always go to the bookstore to flip through it first or you can find some free articles to read first on the company's website.

should have prowled further before i posted the link. this is much more in the old, Colman Andrews, Saveur mold, but even more so, though the art isn't nearly so good as Saveur used to be (sigh, Christopher Hirsheimer).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads