1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mafoofan, Jan 21, 2013.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

What would we then consider the wet farts adorning the sides of Kramer's expensive knives?

2. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i think they're just for purties -- the blade equivalent of fake buttonholes

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i love how fg frequently offers an alternative translation to the technical talk, but translates it in terms of men's clothing to fit the vernacular of the forvm.

1 person likes this.
  4. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

That makes one an excellent communicator.

5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

The metal can still be folded over on itself - and probably any Japanese knife worth anything is forged that way whether you can see the folds or not.

Forgive me if this was a rhetorical question, Matt, because you most likely already know the ins-and-outs of the metallurgical component of these knives anyway.

6. foodguy

wha, huh?

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Thanks. I actually know nothing about it. I don't science. So, what was damascus originally, if you don't mind explaining.

8. foodguy

originally, damascus steel was made by folding together different types of steel in order to get both hardness for endurance and softness for the best sharpening. kind of like a laminated dough (there! I did it again!). :slayer:

9. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

There are, one might say, three kinds of 'Damascus': There's the real damascus, which is actually a lost thing, like Greek fire. I think there was a good article on this in Scientific American about ten years ago. Then there is 'pattern-welded' steel, which is what most people call real damascus today -- where multiple types of steel (sometimes other elements are laminated in, too, like nickel; which I think Jot Singh Khalsa may have started) are placed atop each other, heated and folded and heated and folded while hammering them together -- this is called forge-welding. Then there's really fake damascus, which is merely steel impressed with patterns that may sometimes be treated or painted to enhance.

True pattern-welded steel will not fade per se, if made of carbon steel, it may patina like everything else. Some steels may be acid-eteched to bring out some of the contrasts, but this is not to common in culinary steels.
    It's pattern-welded. For a minute I was offended, thinking that you were calling very beautiful wood a wet fart.
    Yes, this is mille feuille in the steel world. Though, I don;t think if everyone is really certain it was made by folding in the beginning.

~ H

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

My opinion is that the origin of Damascus steel is along the lines of how the Japanese sword makers blended a variety of steels together to create a worthwhile steel. Blending very hard tool steels with softer steels likely allowed them to create a worthwhile, resilient blade that held and edge. The process probably fell by the wayside as better and more consistent refining techniques became available.

12. gomestar

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. SkinnyGoomba

That looks nice, can you send it to NJ for testing?

14. shibbel

shibbel Well-Known Member

Noyce! Did you go with the 210?

Edit: Oh shit, there was a price increase? Website is showing $200 now.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  15. gomestar

210. Was $180 in store.

16. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Just ordered a couple of Tojiro's DP 3 HQ knifes to see them in person. Will post pictures when they arrive. Hope I'll like them. Would be better for my budget than MAC pro knifes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  17. gomestar

i am allergic to the post office

18. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Arent we all...

19. SkinnyGoomba

Why are the traditional Japanese looking knives from the same makers more expensive?

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

They aren't always.

But when they are the typical answer is because they take more steel and are harder to make.