1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Foo goes skiing. Sartorial disaster?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

wear some goggles that have the correct lens for the conditions, it will cut down on the glare of the sun coming off the snow. It can be almost blinding at times.

2. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

You definitely need eye protection - either sunglasses or goggles.

If it's bright but not snowing, you need a pair of sunglasses for the glare.

If it is snowing you'll want goggles.

It's not shown in my picture, but I generally carry both.

If you get a helmet, go ahead and just buy a pair of goggles to go with it.

P.S. If you haven't skiied in a while, take a lesson your first day - either a half or a full day to get your form back or improve it. The ski instructors at Vail are all really good.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Will a regular pair of aviator sunglasses work, or do I need special sport frames?

4. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Damn, you got there before me!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

they do until the first time you fall and they go flying off or poke you in the eye. (not that I have ever done that.....)

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The get-up looks fine to me, too, and I'd also recommend a helmet. I never wore one, but I guess I got lucky. I wouldn't go without one now.

7. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Oakley or Bolle, polycarbonate and wraparound. Of course you'll find you can't wear them anywhere else since while they won't shatter they will scratch. If you have a flat nose bridge issue Oakley makes models specifically for this.

8. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Aviators work, but you'll probably want to get a cord or a croakie to keep them from flying off.

The biggest problem with sunglasses is that snow and water can get on both sides of the lens and its a bitch to clean them off while you're on the slope.

Goggles seal tighter to your face so you can usually just wipe off the front and be able to keep going.

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I disagree that sunglasses are okay to wear. Wind will still get behind the lenses and make your eyes water which can be dangerous for you and others. Everybody wears goggles so don't worry that it will look out of place.

1 person likes this.
  11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Goggles aren't for eye protection so much as they are to keep the wind out of your eyes and cutting down the glare. Buy a pair, you'll be grateful. Better than sunglasses by far. Much more critical than a helmet too, IMO. I've never taken a fall or even seen a fall where cracking the head was a big concern; when you fall skiing, you don't just hit a wall (well, a lift pole or tree if you're really bad at it), you tumble down the slope. With that kind of fall, you're not risking your head as much as risking getting limbs caught at awkward angles that break things. Unless you're doing crazy jumps or going down slopes that are way beyond your capability, you don't need a helmet. File that one as a nice to have.

I have, on the other hand, come close to breaking a leg (as a sidenote, this is why you need to make sure your bindings are at an appropriate setting- if the ski doesn't pop off, it can fuck up bones and joints when it caches against something while your body is still moving) and have separated my shoulder.

Oh, and I like the gloves. If there's ever a time for bright colors and silly coordination, skiing is it.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Don't forget the hat.

[​IMG]

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I mostly wore sunglasses and I never had a problem. Goggles for the really bad weather.

Foo, you might want a knit hat and you definitely will want sunscreen. A ski slope sun burn makes a beach sun burn look and feel like a light singe.

14. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Are you just doing downhill, or will you also be doing biathlon? You will need a small bore rifle for the latter.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

What do you think about one of these?

[​IMG]

Mostly, I'm thinking so that (a) others can see him on the slope and (2) to make him easier to find when digging him out of the big drifts.

16. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

The foundation of all alpine skiing is one's psych-up routine before hurtling down the slopes like a runaway train.

I am happy to share mine.

Visualization is a key tool, so here is the video that plays on my retinas just before the earth tilts:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

17. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

OCBD and a sweater as undergarments are not going to keep you warm. I'd recommend a moisture wicking performance long underwear top and either a quarter or full zip fleece under your jacket.

18. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I live in Colorado and ski Vail regularly.

As far as your fit, you did well. The uber-coordinated outfits will get you treated like a Californian, or worse, a Texan.:)

Get a helmet and goggles and you won't have to worry about the sunglasses. None of us wore helmets as kids, but 90% of the people out there wear them now. Not just for falls, but crashing into trees, ski hitting you after a crash, some idiot beginner snowboarder crashing into you (most likely). Plus they are the best at keeping you warm.

Don't wear any cotton. Polypro base layer, fleece or wool mid layer under your shell, depending on conditions. Get ski socks.

Get a lesson the first day at least.

Peppermint Schnapps for the Hot Chocolate. Look out for Manton's aforementioned hot assed girls.

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Foo, I mostly skied in Tahoe but I went to Vail (and elsewhere in Colo and Utah) and one thing to note is that it can get dramatically cold there, much colder than Tahoe. The mountains are also typically higher elevation. So, yeah, no street clothes. You need serious gear for this unless the conditions are unusually spring-like.

20. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Bradford's right. EMS has Icebreaker and I think Ibex as well.