• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo goes skiing. Sartorial disaster?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Foo appears underdressed for the occasion. I would recommend a yellow knit, and a blond wig.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was much better able to handle powder than ice. Powder is a joy. True powder in the Sierras almost never happens. You have to be there literally as the snow falls and it doesn't last.
But I had some spectacular powder runs in Colo and Utah.

Really nothing like riding powder in either of those places - its like riding on a cloud.

div25sec9

Reaction score
This has been the funniest thread I've read in a long time...

The most important thing to know about ski/snowboard clothing is that functionality is key, looks secondary. Nobody cares about labels; usually you get less respect if your skills don't match the wardrobe.

You definitely need a mid-layer; I recommend a good fleece jacket. Going down the hill isn't bad, but waiting in line and riding the lift things can turn turn nasty, especially if there is a strong wind. You are in the mountains, and there is a reason why there's snow on the ground; so keep this in mind and dress warm.

...and don't worry about looking foolish; no matter how perfectly you dress, as a beginner you're gonna crash. No matter how well dressed you are; when you're eating snow, you're going to look foolish.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really nothing like riding powder in either of those places - its like riding on a cloud.

True. All you hear is the whisper of your board as it glides over the snow. Soft whisper...

div25sec9

Reaction score

True. All you hear is the whisper of your board as it glides over the snow. Soft whisper...

This almost made me cry!

...one of the best feelings in the world; the smell of the trees and fresh mountain air, and not a sound except for the powder moving underneath....just brilliant!

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ouch. Yeah, that sounds like a problem.
See, these are the conditions I learned in, on rental skis. I'm more threatened by hitting honest to god powder than I am hitting ice.
The one accident I've ever actually been injured in (the aforementioned AC separation) was in that low light, and for some unknown reason, there was a giant chunk of ice in the middle of the slope. Snowman head size, I still have no idea where it came from. I didn't see it until too late, hit it and went flying. The only other time I've ever been close to injury was a big spill where I wound up rolling down the slope, and my ski didn't come off. I got lucky as hell on that one, my leg could have been destroyed. I've never even come close a situation where a helmet would have been useful. Thought the bluetooth speakers mentioned upthread could be nice.

I over rotated off a jump, landed perpendicular to the mountain and my head smacked really hard into a patch of ice. I'm convinced I'd either be dead or at the very least horribly concussed had I not been wearing a helmet. I suppose it's not a necessity if you're just doing downhill but if you want to do anything fun I wouldn't skip it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holland and Holland, very up market.
I wear a pair of of 30 year old X-Country ski knickers in very
heavy wool with a Norwegian Sweater at Badger. I am taken
for an old Pro, which I am not. Just old.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anybody know where in NYC I can go to have ski jacket sleeves shortened?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holland and Holland, very up market.
I wear a pair of of 30 year old X-Country ski knickers in very
heavy wool with a Norwegian Sweater at Badger. I am taken
for an old Pro, which I am not. Just old.

I have a lovely SOS (Sportswear of Sweden) lined sweater, great for those sunny days you know it is not going to snow or rain.

I suppose somebody has said to take two pairs of gloves as you can never dry them out properly overnight especially if they are leather.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What? Come on.

Igacio's on the UES no good?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads