Foo goes skiing. Sartorial disaster?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jan 23, 2012.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Whatever goggle he gets, they will have to fit over those.

Everyone should keep that in mind.

Maybe a diver's helmet would address everything. In percentage terms, it would not add much weight above the neck. Plus, when he smashes through the lake ice at the bottom turn, it could give him a fighting chance.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

[​IMG] needs a bespoke helmet to pair with his big brain.

3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Bradford, given your familiarity with Vail and thinking ahead about Foof's upcoming trip, what color cast should he get at the middle of the first day?

I'm thinking classic white. Good for cool sigs, and will really show off those Transformers stickers.

Thoughts?

4. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

This, only with yellow gloves. Plus, the added advantage of the goggles being built in.

[​IMG]

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

^ I think that is an accurate simulation of what the view from the lift will be on his first run as the chair approaches him.

6. rob

rob Senior member

Just like a Brown man to purchase ski apparel right before a ski week end, not to mention going to Vail over Aspen.

Rob, in Aspen

7. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

I went snowboarding once. Not skiing because I was advised it is more dangerous and that I should start with snowboard.

It was in (my) local So Cal mountains. Saw people wearing jeans and regular cotton hoodies. I think it was high 60's that day. I wore my cheap water proof but breathable Barbour rain jacket and some cheap ski pants, the fluffy kind.

I got hot as hell after a few runs and the lines to the ski lifts were long. Not doing it again for some time I reckon'.

Foo is doing everything right for someone that knows they are just going there with friends to kick it. I say be as flashy as possible without being obviously silly (the line is fine, but Foo knows about this already).

8. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

9. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

More importantly, what are you planning for walking around the Village, dinner, etc?

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

:spew:

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Won't be durable enough if he faceplants. Goggles are a must. Foo, just remember that the helmet-google gap is essential. Things can fog up easily and you want to have perfect vision

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

IMO, not really. Last time I was skiing, I wore a mock neck turtleneck on day one made from cotton, day two, one with light fleece and a scarf, day three, a cotton flannel shirt. I had a wool sweater on the first day, but it was too warm out for it and the jacket.

If you choose the appropriate number and weight of layers, you won't sweat too much. And even if you do sweat some, the jacket is where you're getting the bulk of your warmth.

I honestly wouldn't hesitate to ski in an OCBD. And I ain't exactly a scrub.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

bradford, you look very handsome in that picture. I was going to add "no homo" but the more I look at it, I wonder ...

14. Mr Knightly

Mr Knightly Member

I started skiing a few months after I learned to walk, have been to most of the major mountains in North America, and used to ski 6 days/week in high school (slalom and giant slalom racing). I never wore anything but cotton as a base layer, except in the back country. Even racing (where we used ultra high speed tow ropes and could run the gates 45 times in a practice session), I never got very sweaty. Technical fabrics mostly matter if you're going to work your tail off getting up the mountain on foot, and then head down it at high speed, with the constant threat of getting stranded in the wilderness. If you're skiing bunny hills in-bounds, you're not going to need high tech synthetic textiles.

Also, when exactly did 90% of people start wearing helmets? I'm not that old, though I went a few years without skiing in the middle of the decade. In the early 2000s, it was mostly children wearing helmets. Heck, we weren't even required to wear helmets when racing slalom--just a chin guard. Now it seems truly unusual not to wear them. A lift operator even commented on how I wasn't wearing one last year ("oh, tough guy without a helmet, huh?"). Are head injuries really that common? Based on anecdotal experience, at least, it doesn't seem like it. Not one of my friends or teammates has ever hit their head. In fact, I've never even heard of such an injury by word of mouth. You'd think that if skiing were so dangerous, then some friend of a friend would have, at some point, had a head injury. I'm all about rational safety measures, but I can't help but suspect that helmet companies are just feeding the social amplification of risk in this case.

15. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

:smarmy: