Foo-approved

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, May 10, 2012.

1. Viral

Viral Senior member

It sure does........you just don't know it.

Stop being whiny and defensive...........this is the internetz son.

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

The personal attacks on Foo seem pretty tepid in this thread compared to the glory days.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

he's a broken record. no message involved. he tries again, though.

4. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Whilst we're on the critiquing, what do you guys think of this coat. Is the piling/creases on the back, beneath the collar normal, or is it a fundamental issue that a good tailor should address?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

So after 9 pointless pages, there is only one understanding so far, Foo only approves one outfit...

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Very punchable face. What is with this pic?

7. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

The tragedy of StyFo. Username alone sometimes warrants a like or laugh.

8. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

The tragedy of Foo is that he actually brings a perspective to this board. That perspective may not agree with many of us, or at least not all of the time. And the prickly way in which he conveys (and defends) that perspective almost always leads to a dogpile -- resulting in equal parts lulz and facepalmz. (Though, as you've pointed out, the intensity of that familiar dogpile seems to be diminishing here). But he's an original. He's got an opinion. He's got a developed and idiosyncratic aesthetic, say what you will about it. The same cannot be said for many habitues of the Styling Forvms.

I'd gladly trade 5 or 10 sycophants and bandwagoneers for another Foo. I don't care if the next Foo thinks the height of good taste is dressing in Bjork-like swan costumes; his perspective will be a welcome change of pace. And yes, I hope the next Foo is every bit as curmudgeonly and irascible as this one. Where's the fun without the fuss?

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

There is a thin line between a Foo and a Rev...

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:lurk:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

While I agree with Foo on liking the first initial outfit that he posted(fit aside)...I am not crazy about the above^^. Fit may be spot on....however, it does nothing re "pop" or makes the wearer stand out. I have seen other posts of Foo that are of course much better.....this is not one of em....Suit color with the shoes/tie combo is just "dull" to me....Just sayin...

12. Jackie Treehorn

There have been plenty of debates, over the years, about the extent to which Reev and even Foo are self-aware: precisely what percentage of their typical thread-starts are shtick and what percentage are earnest. I tend to see them as mostly earnest and unselfconscious, though obviously my interpretation is not the prevailing opinion.

The difference between them, however, is pretty clear. Foo has something to say about men's style, no matter how stridently and peculiarly he might say it. Reev does not. He's good solely for the lulz, though, thankfully, he always delivers.

13. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior member

Eliot Richardson, former US Attorney General. Stormed the beach at Normandy and won a Purple Heart, so probably not deserving of a face punch from the internet

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I think he means why da fuck is it in this thread.....Foo's suit is DB. This one is not. Foo's post is natural color. This one is not. Etc....

15. Jackie Treehorn

I can't say I completely agree. I think it's an interesting combination whose subtleties are washed out a bit by the sunlight in the photo. Certainly the easier and "poppier" choice for that ensemble would have been a bright navy tie -- echoing the dreaded Italian Businessman uniform to which Foo is so personally opposed. But it would lend a discordant darkness to what was probably intended as a bright, sunny outfit.

If anything drags this outfit down a peg, it would have to be Foo's signature One Shoes. They just don't work here; they dull the suit. I'm not crazy about the pocket square, either.