• Please help me welcome our new sponsor, Crush Store a luxury boutique and contemporary store in Southern Italy that offers its customers the a careful selection of casual and elegant fashion at excellent prices and great value. Please do visit their thread to say hi, ask questions about brands, sizing, etc... and see what is new at Crush Store. Thanks!
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Following up on job search leads

Bill Brasky

Reaction score
I'm in the process of looking for a new job, and have gotten several very promising leads thus far. However I'm looking on advice for following up with the people who are my contacts. I don't want to seem pushy, yet I need to be persistent. Since the job search is a long process (mainly waiting till positions open up), I'm wondering what is the best way to stay in touch so that I can ensure the contacts are actively helping/looking for opportunities.

Liberty Ship

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
I'm in the process of looking for a new job, and have gotten several very promising leads thus far. However I'm looking on advice for following up with the people who are my contacts. I don't want to seem pushy, yet I need to be persistent. Since the job search is a long process (mainly waiting till positions open up), I'm wondering what is the best way to stay in touch so that I can ensure the contacts are actively helping/looking for opportunities.

While you are looking for a job for yourself, keep an eye out for openings that might fit your contacts. When you see an opening, call your contact and tell him about it, and, by the way, see what he has found for you.

mikeber

Reaction score
I second the above advice. Try, if possible, offering them something of a a value to them. A piece of information, a solution to a problem. etc. If you have personal relations with some of these people, invite them to lunch.
Just a note of caution: Some places which claim to be "waiting for positions to open" will never offer you a position. My advice is to keep looking for places who need new employees at the moment. A common occurrence on these crazy days having seven "almost" sure positions, but no work.

DeSica

Reaction score
Bill, if everything they said about you on SNL is true, you're one heck of a guy, people will be glad to network for you, and job hunting will not be a problem.

smile.gif

Best of luck (not that Bill Brasky needs it) in landing a whopper of a job.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeber
I second the above advice. Try, if possible, offering them something of a a value to them. A piece of information, a solution to a problem. etc. If you have personal relations with some of these people, invite them to lunch.
Just a note of caution: Some places which claim to be "waiting for positions to open" will never offer you a position. My advice is to keep looking for places who need new employees at the moment. A common occurrence on these crazy days having seven "almost" sure positions, but no work.

+1

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Send thank you notes when they give you suggestions... follow-up with your contacts after you've talked to any possible companies about openings... quite honestly overcommunicate.

The worst thing you can do is to fail to keep your contacts up-to-date and thus have them forget about you or worse, have them assume that you've found something.

Having been in a similar situation, it sucks to still be out there looking and to run into someone you know and have them say, "so where are you working now?"

larryr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Send thank you notes when they give you suggestions... follow-up with your contacts after you've talked to any possible companies about openings... quite honestly overcommunicate.
Good advice. Don't be afraid to call often or email, you'll stay fresh in their minds when openings arise. Be persistant, but not annoying. They get paid when you get a position, so they'll choose the candidates who are eager and who will also get them paid.

Featured Sponsor

What gift are you planning to give your dad this Father's Day?

• A set of whiskey rocks

• 99 Luft balloons

• Tickets to the new Barbie movie

• A lifetime membership to Topgolf

• Personalized temporary tattoos

• Peek inside to read our selection of (less ludicrous) gifts for Father's Day 2023!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wik