• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Follow up to Injured Back

aleeboy

Reaction score
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about a possible back injury picked up after a dead lifting session. As others have prescribed, I went to see the Doc yesterday and it turns out I have a herniated disk.

This, as you would expect, is not something one would want to hear... especially when one has workout goals to achieve. My questions to those who have experienced this are:

- What kind of treatment did you seek? What worked best and what to avoid?

- Is this something that your body will heal by itself?

- What impact did it have on your workouts? Did you have to give it up or did you work your way around this?

Looking forward to your help and support.

AL

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the disk. I'm glad you went to the doctor and now can avoid further screwing up your back.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Surely there are people who have been in a similar situation with a story to tell...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
had 2 ruptures in l5/s1 and 2 neck herniations. the term is vague as it seems most people as they age have some degree of disc herniation. is there nerve impingement? what did the doc say beside that its herniated?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for the most part, i avoid super-heavy deadlifts, squats and have had to re-jigger my leg workout in general. hate to be the bearer, but since i injured my back, my daily lower-back pain level fluctuates between a 3-5 on good days to a 7 on bad days. power cleans and heavy shrugging are probably out too.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a herniated disk and continue going to the gym and lifting heavy weights, you are a bloody idiot.

No offense to you if you did that kunk but, well, look where it got you and you're still a pretty young.

The recommendation currently is to continue with normal daily activities as opposed to the previous "lie in bed all day" school of thought. Some mild exercise may be okay but I really don't see heavy lifting or even going very light with something like squats or deadlifts which tend to put a lot of strain/pressure on your back would be a good idea.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^you're the doc, i'd go with your advice since i'm sitting here in pain now as it is.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not yet and, to be honest, I don't have any "field experience" with herniated disks. It's all book knowledge (and common sense) on this one.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Don't do anything that aggrivates the hernia, I believe this would be any extension of the back. (Unless I have this backwards) Strengthen the core to take the load off your spine and back, posture and technique are absolutely critical from now on.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^wouldn't you agree that it's important to find degree of herniation and nerve involvement? my physiatrist friend says he's seen thousands of varying degrees of herniation. all the jelly in my donuts has been squished out and i have major issues with sciatica.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
If you have a herniated disk and continue going to the gym and lifting heavy weights, you are a bloody idiot.

Originally Posted by thekunk07
^wouldn't you agree that it's important to find degree of herniation and nerve involvement? my physiatrist friend says he's seen thousands of varying degrees of herniation. all the jelly in my donuts has been squished out and i have major issues with sciatica.

I have modified my lifting programme and have now excluded my two main lifts, the squat and dead lift. So, I am avoiding any potential exercises that would aggravate my back further. Especially those that require extrension at the hips, including RDL, good mornings and rows.

My MRI scan showed some deterioration in my disk between L4 and L5. There is a bulge which is pinching the nerve stem that runs along the core. This is what is giving me pain. So far, sitting on my arse and being immobile is giving me more pain than when I am out and about. So I am trying to keep active and keep in the gym too.

I have a concern about overhead pressing and doing dumbbell work. The reason is is that for DB bench, I would need to bend down to pick up heavy DBs, which I think would fall into the same category of "idiocy" as doing a deadlift.... is this correct?

Also, when I do shoulder presses, I think there is a lot of pressure on the lower back. Especially when it's the anchor point to bare all the weight as it is overhead. Are me concerns on over head pushes correct, or am I being overly cautious?

The Doc I went to was not very professional in my opinion. He said I should avoid all workout and to jump onboard his three month programme. My gut reaction is to keep lifting smartly, but in order to to this, I would like you all to educate me on your experiences.... especially when it comes to DB work (i.e. damage caused from lifting them off rack/floor) and overhead presses (i.e. the pressure it places in your lower back and any likely disk damage that follows).

Thanks all,

AL

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Make sure you recruit your core muscles and not your lower back whenever you lift weights. Use the legs and not teh back, all that. You can lift weights off the ground but do it carefully and with reverence!

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you take up swimming for a couple weeks.
Whatever you decide to do be careful and good luck.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Guys,

The spasms in my back were really getting to me, so I went to the hospital last night to get one of those 8 inch needles stuck into my spinal core. Have to say that the spasms have gone, but there is some tenderness in my back still.

I am hoping to have a full recovery and so far have taken in that I should:
- not be doing overly heavy exercises
- not do exercises that involve bending at the hip/waist
- do core training exercises
- do continue training under modified programme
- consider employing overhead presses - anyone can help me out with this?

Thanks,
AL

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just had an 8 inch needle stuck in your spine?
Maybe you should just take it easy for a while (walking, light stretching, etc.)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads