Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Follow the rules in B&S

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, May 7, 2012.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yes.

2. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. :D

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

LA Guy: Please update the official list of rules. There is nothing in it now that explicitly mentions a seller cannot request an additional percentage to cover PayPal seller fees. It only mentions personal payments:

If you don't sync the contents of your first post in this thread with the official list of rules, I suspect you will see a lot of people unknowingly violating this new explicit rule.

Last edited: May 7, 2012

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Also, I had no idea that "surcharging" was against the "terms of use" for PayPal until tonight. I stopped taking personal payments after you requested that we not to do it. To get around eating the fees, I just asked that buyers cover them. It's really not ideal for a hobbyist forum seller to be eating a $20 fee (4-5%) on each $400 thing he sells via PayPal. Especially if he's selling something at cost that he doesn't want anymore/doesn't fit perfectly. I noticed that this has become standard practice in many seller threads.

Is there any way I can get around this? I think I will just begin charging more for "shipping and handling" for all forms of payment on big ticket items. I can handle paying a buck or two on small ticket items, but $20 on a bigger item is really freaking annoying. We're not all retailers "keystoning" (100% markup), so it's hard to offset the fee.

The handling phrasing seems perfectly within the PayPal terms of service, since I only accept PayPal:

Last edited: May 7, 2012

5. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Like davesmith wrote, but no one answered him.

Is it okay to write ''sold'' and remove the price (in the information-field)? And put the picture in the spoiler when the item is sold? Or shall no information be edited at all?

Edit: Is it okay to write payment via paypal?

Last edited: May 8, 2012

6. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i don't know of any seller on styleforum B&S who advertise that he accepts other forms of payment such as cash in person or a check/money order in the mail ...
    so if you're only accepting paypal and you know that paypal charges you a fee for the transaction, then just PRICE YOUR ITEM ACCORDINGLY
    :facepalm:

and the sellers aren't even doing the math correctly when they say add x% for paypal

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

There's a psychology behind pricing that you're missing.

Say a person buys something from a retailer for $499 in final sale. When it arrives, he decides he doesn't want it.

He puts it up on the B&S for "$499 shipped + 4% handling," and declines all personal payment requests.

That looks "better" than "$520" in the mind of the buyer.

If a hobbyist seller doesn't mention that he doesn't want to eat the PayPal costs in a "Goods" transaction, the buyer is just going to attempt to "talk him down" below $499, and he will be losing money.

8. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

Makes sense to me. My issue is that there are some sellers who assume that having the buyer add the fee to the total price paid is just standard practice, so they aren't very clear that they expect it. Others do not have this expectation. I think there should be some kind of rule that the seller just has to state the total amount due up front, which the buyer can then accept or not. Maybe this rule already exists, and I just haven't known about it.

9. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

^ Agree that the seller should put % paypal fee in the price already (or dont put anything, be a nice guy and sell cheap, you bastards!)

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Quick question:

I've been known to put imgur-hosted images into the body of the body and then remove them later because imgur has a limit on the number of free images, and I want to free up space on the account.

But the photos are also uploaded using SF's hosting system (from which you can't inline quote in a large format, which is why I also host them externally).

As copies of the image are still available from the SF host, it's OK to remove the imgur-hosted photos, right?

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Someone just bumped your 2010 Tweed contest too. :lol:

12. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I'd just like to thank you for doing that because browsing the images hosted on SF is like eating ice-cream using a straw... I get frustrated and my face eventually goes red.

13. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I take cash and money orders. Though 75% of what I sell is $6 shoelaces and $9 cufflinks. I wouldn't take cash or a money order on anything costing more than $50.

I have also sent cash, money order, and even western union to fellow Styleforumers who don't use paypal.

14. mymil

mymil Senior member

Screw PayPal, just use Dwolla. $0.25 flat fee per transaction.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Have B&S rules been formulated yet on selling swag obtained at the StyFo 10th?

:confused:

I'm thinking here, in particular, of all those napkins or red-marked cut label brand tags autographed by celebrity StyleForvm posters. These items might be at the height of their value at the moment.