1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Folio Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sartorially Challenged, May 17, 2006.

1. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

Are Folio brand shoes (Saks Fifth Avenue mail order/house brand) of decent quality? What point of the the quality/price (or "value") spectrum do they occupy?

How do they compared to, say, Barney's house brand shoes?

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

They are in a word, shit. Don't waste your hard earned dough...

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Are Folio brand shoes (Saks Fifth Avenue mail order/house brand) of decent quality? What point of the the quality/price (or "value") spectrum do they occupy?

How do they compared to, say, Barney's house brand shoes?

If you can get them at a Sak's outlet for say, $80, they probably represent a decent value above other shoes in that price range.

However, do not buy at full retail.

I find that Folio (which completely abounds Saks outlets) is really only worth less than 60% of retail price.

However, if the shoes are in a somewhat classic style, and the price is right, they could make a good 'first shoe'.

4. Sartorially Challenged

How do they compare to Johnston & Murphy (not the older ones; the newer ones obviously), Cole Haan and Barney's house brand?

For J&M and Cole Haan, I am obviously referring to ones sourced from more upscale locations (Italy & England), not the ones made in China, India or Brazil.
    What make good "10th pair of dress shoes" for cheapskates like me?
    Thankfully, my dough was earned rather easily. [​IMG]

5. Sartorially Challenged

Are they really that bad?

I saw a pair ("brandy" colored cap toes) that had reasonably attractive leather and maybe welted (stitched on the bottom). Looked pretty good to me at about $100 after a heavy discount.

What makes them so bad?

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

What make good "10th pair of dress shoes" for cheapskates like me?

Knowing you do have more than enough shoes in your rotation and now you are at the level of being a shoe collector/enthusiast,

I'd say save the 150 dollars or so a few several times you would have spent it on shoes like these (Folio) and buy a much richer and nicer 1 pair of shoes.

Same concept of if I won a thousand dollars, I would not buy a thousand Big Macs if I were a steak lover.

7. jarr25

jarr25 New Member

I've had a pair for a couple of years, and I've worn them quite frequently. I've had no problems whatsoever with them. I also own the exact same style made by Via Spiga, they're both of the same good quality and made of the same good Napa stretch leather. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

They are in a word, shit. Don't waste your hard earned dough...

8. jarr25

jarr25 New Member

Knowing you do have more than enough shoes in your rotation and now you are at the level of being a shoe collector/enthusiast,

I'd say save the 150 dollars or so a few several times you would have spent it on shoes like these (Folio) and buy a much richer and nicer 1 pair of shoes.

Same concept of if I won a thousand dollars, I would not buy a thousand Big Macs if I were a steak lover.

Is there such a thing as "more than enough shoes"?[​IMG][​IMG] What would you then say of thirty or so (not counting the close to forty bought within the previous twenty years) all Italian-made? [​IMG]
    It used to be women only that were allowed to say such things; however it's a fallacy, men have as much right to have tons of very fine shoes and spend lots of times shopping for them![​IMG] There![​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member