• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folio Shoes

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Are Folio brand shoes (Saks Fifth Avenue mail order/house brand) of decent quality? What point of the the quality/price (or "value") spectrum do they occupy?

How do they compared to, say, Barney's house brand shoes?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are in a word, ****. Don't waste your hard earned dough...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
Are Folio brand shoes (Saks Fifth Avenue mail order/house brand) of decent quality? What point of the the quality/price (or "value") spectrum do they occupy?

How do they compared to, say, Barney's house brand shoes?

If you can get them at a Sak's outlet for say, $80, they probably represent a decent value above other shoes in that price range.

However, do not buy at full retail.

I find that Folio (which completely abounds Saks outlets) is really only worth less than 60% of retail price.

However, if the shoes are in a somewhat classic style, and the price is right, they could make a good 'first shoe'.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
How do they compare to Johnston & Murphy (not the older ones; the newer ones obviously), Cole Haan and Barney's house brand?

For J&M and Cole Haan, I am obviously referring to ones sourced from more upscale locations (Italy & England), not the ones made in China, India or Brazil.
However, if the shoes are in a somewhat classic style, and the price is right, they could make a good 'first shoe'.
What make good "10th pair of dress shoes" for cheapskates like me?
Don't waste your hard earned dough...
Thankfully, my dough was earned rather easily.
smile.gif

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
They are in a word, ****.
Are they really that bad?

I saw a pair ("brandy" colored cap toes) that had reasonably attractive leather and maybe welted (stitched on the bottom). Looked pretty good to me at about $100 after a heavy discount.

What makes them so bad?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
What make good "10th pair of dress shoes" for cheapskates like me?

Knowing you do have more than enough shoes in your rotation and now you are at the level of being a shoe collector/enthusiast,

I'd say save the 150 dollars or so a few several times you would have spent it on shoes like these (Folio) and buy a much richer and nicer 1 pair of shoes.

Same concept of if I won a thousand dollars, I would not buy a thousand Big Macs if I were a steak lover.

jarr25

Reaction score
I've had a pair for a couple of years, and I've worn them quite frequently. I've had no problems whatsoever with them. I also own the exact same style made by Via Spiga, they're both of the same good quality and made of the same good Napa stretch leather. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Originally Posted by whnay.
They are in a word, ****. Don't waste your hard earned dough...

jarr25

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
Knowing you do have more than enough shoes in your rotation and now you are at the level of being a shoe collector/enthusiast,

I'd say save the 150 dollars or so a few several times you would have spent it on shoes like these (Folio) and buy a much richer and nicer 1 pair of shoes.

Same concept of if I won a thousand dollars, I would not buy a thousand Big Macs if I were a steak lover.

Is there such a thing as "more than enough shoes"?
smile.gif
smile.gif
What would you then say of thirty or so (not counting the close to forty bought within the previous twenty years) all Italian-made?
blush.gif

It used to be women only that were allowed to say such things; however it's a fallacy, men have as much right to have tons of very fine shoes and spend lots of times shopping for them!
smile.gif
There!
smile.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folio shoes =

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads