• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folding, Hangars and the quest for closet space

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you fold, what do you hang? How do you do so?

Do you fold your t-shirts? How do you fold without massive wrinkles/creases?
Do you fold your polos? Without massive wrinkles or creases?
Do you fold your non-dress pants? Without massive wrinkles or creases?
Do you fold your sweaters? Without massive wrinkles or creases?

What do you hang besides suits and dress shirts? Do you hand your slacks on the same hanger as your suit jackets?

What type of hangers do you prefer for all of the above?

I am reorganizing my closet. I would prefer to fold t-shirts, polos, non-dress pants and then hang suits, and anything that buttons all the way down. However, I can't figure out how to prevent disaster like wrinkles and creases when folding.

Is it a never ending battle? Am I chained to the iron for life?

goodlife

Reaction score
I keep t-shirts, polos, rugbys, sweaters folded. If a collar or thick folded end is causing a stack to lean, I rotate each item 180 degrees to the one below. I get wrinkles sometimes, but if you make sure the entire garment is very flat before folding, and don't try to smash the stack creases are generally avoided.

I hang jeans (raw denim) on a hook by the center belt loop to avoid developing fold marks.

All other pants are hung on those flat felt covered hangers. I recently found some that have a notch so they can be daisy-chained together saving bar space.

As you have mentioned anything that buttons all the way is hung, in my case on a regular wooden hanger.

Suits are hung on more appropriately shaped hangers with the pant hung on the same hanger.

All shoes are kept in their original boxes allowing them to be stacked in tall pile wherever space permits.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
What do you fold, what do you hang? How do you do so?

Do you fold your t-shirts? How do you fold without massive wrinkles/creases?
Do you fold your polos? Without massive wrinkles or creases?
Do you fold your non-dress pants? Without massive wrinkles or creases?
Do you fold your sweaters? Without massive wrinkles or creases?

What do you hang besides suits and dress shirts? Do you hand your slacks on the same hanger as your suit jackets?

What type of hangers do you prefer for all of the above?

I am reorganizing my closet. I would prefer to fold t-shirts, polos, non-dress pants and then hang suits, and anything that buttons all the way down. However, I can't figure out how to prevent disaster like wrinkles and creases when folding.

Is it a never ending battle? Am I chained to the iron for life?

tees, i keep folded, shoulders back and cut in half at stomach. stacked into the cabinet
polos depending, some i keep folded with the tees, others, i hang
cotton khakis , non dress pants, i keep folded once and then twice into a square and into drawers
sweaters i either hang on thick bulky hangers or fold shoulders back and cut in half at stomach and into drawers
dress pants i hang on dress pant hanger. some i fold over and store in drawer.

i dont have a problem/issue with the slight wrinkle in any of these. some natural wrinkles are bound to occur i just wear it, it looks fine.

if any dress shirt is wrinkled too much i just take 5 mins to iron it satisfactorily.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the most folding problems with polos, just can't seem to get it so they don't get jacked up with creases and wrinkles. Perhaps I don't unfold and wear them enough.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a flip fold, we'll see how that goes.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
I bought a flip fold, we'll see how that goes.

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

but if you are, you could just use a piece of cardboard and get the same effect

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
not-sure-if-serious.jpg

but if you are, you could just use a piece of cardboard and get the same effect

Cardboard is for poor people and I pretend I'm not poor.
Today I folded everything not business wardrobe related and it cleared a lot of space. Tshirts, sweaters, gym gear, casual pants, sweats all folded and stacked elsewhere. Closet is in good shape not but will have trouble accepting more garments. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads