• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folding a pocket square

CBDB

Reaction score
How to you place/fold a pocket square? Do some methods work better with silk/linen/cotton? I'm caught between folding it so I have a little square peeking out of my pocket and "stuffing" it in, which looks like I just...uh...stuffed it in.
smile.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
How to you place/fold a pocket square? Do some methods work better with silk/linen/cotton? I'm caught between folding it so I have a little square peeking out of my pocket and "stuffing" it in, which looks like I just...uh...stuffed it in.
smile.gif

Only experimentation will yield a satisfacory result.

migo

Reaction score
adding on to this, if I may, how does one decide what color pocket square to wear? I'd never match my tie, but it always leaves me with a problem...I'm getting a bit bored of straight white (I love it though) but I'm always scared of shifting all the focus onto the pocket square (which is a rarity among my fellow college peeps)

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
adding on to this, if I may, how does one decide what color pocket square to wear? I'd never match my tie, but it always leaves me with a problem...I'm getting a bit bored of straight white (I love it though) but I'm always scared of shifting all the focus onto the pocket square (which is a rarity among my fellow college peeps)

You can really use the same "rules" as for choosing a tie, or you can pick from the same color family, but not an identical color, as your tie. I like to choose a square that contains colors from the same family as at least two other items I'm wearing, i.e. shirt, jacket, tie or even trousers (I'm not very adventurous with socks, so I don't try to match them). You really have many, many options. White is my default, safe option, but it can be boring.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty true. Also, remember that the tie should receive more attention than the pocket square. You probably don't want to have more than three color families in the jacket/shirt/tie/pocket square ensemble (excluding patterns not visible from a distance).

cuffthis

Reaction score
IMHO, if you have to think how to fold it, you've spent too much time on it. Sometimes it's simply better to throw it in and move on. The fact that you went to the effort of using one is more important than how it is folded.

To borrow a line from Nike, Just Do It.

JayGatsby

Reaction score

This is how I wear mine, I prefer white linen pocket squares. They're simple and elegant, in my opinion.

Jay Gatsby

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads