Folded vs. Wire Hanger

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kronik, Aug 3, 2006.

1. kronik

kronik Senior member

So..

I just started going to a new dry cleaners/laundry (American Valet in DC, Joe is awesome) and for the first time ever.. I was offered the choice between folding or hanging. Now, I DESPISE the little creases you get on the shoulder from wire hanging.. but wouldn't folding result in creases everywhere as well, from the folding?

Which do you prefer?

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Hanging. Folding will result in far more creases, and my cleaner charges more too for folded.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I DESPISE the little creases you get on the shoulder from wire hanging..

I've found that if you promptly retrieve your shirts from the cleaners and then transfer them to hangers with a wider shoulder area the creasing will be greatly minimized.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Serious response: I have mine left on the hanger, then swap to a better one when I get home. Never know what to do with the wire one ...

6. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Never know what to do with the wire one ...

Please recycle. The cleaner takes them back.

7. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

I used to love getting them folded just because it almost created the illusion of wearing a brand new shirt every morning. It was kind of fun to slip the perfectly-ironed shirt out of its plastic protective sleeve, or rip the paper band from around the middle. [​IMG]

I always found that creases fell out pretty easily just from wearing it. But I guess that depends on the fabric, and whether it's starched. Also it made it easier to store them, since I could stack them on a shelf or in a drawer instead of givng up valuable closet space. Now I do my own shirts.

8. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I prefer folded... but I made my own shirts, and I became a master of the folding shirt [​IMG] , and that is just because I have so many shirts ( long sleeve for winter and short for summer casual ) that I would need another closet to hang them all...

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]
    Yes, what did Joan Crawford shout?

10. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Yes, what did Joan Crawford shout?

No... wire... hangers. What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers EVER? I work and work 'till I'm half-dead, and I hear people saying, "She's getting old." And what do I get? A daughter... who cares as much about the beautiful dresses I give her... as she cares about me. What's wire hangers doing in this closet? Answer me. I buy you beautiful dresses, and you treat them like they were some dishrag. You do. Three hundred dollar dress on a wire hanger. We'll see how many you've got if they're hidden somewhere. We'll see... we'll see. Get out of that bed. All of this is coming out. Out. Out. Out. Out. Out. Out. You've got any more? We're gonna see how many wire hangers you've got in your closet. Wire hangers, why? Why? Christina, get out of that bed. Get out of that bed. You live in the most beautiful house in Brentwood and you don't care if your clothes are stretched out from wire hangers. And your room looks like some two-dollar-a-week furnished room in some two-bit back street town in Okalahoma. Get up. Get up. Clean up this mess.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I do my own laundry, but still fold the shirts. I simply don't have room to keep them on hangers, though I'd prefer that option, since it would save me the time spent folding them neatly. Any creasing from the folding disappears very quickly, I find.

12. drljva

drljva Senior member

I prefer folded... but I made my own shirts, and I became a master of the folding shirt [​IMG] , and that is just because I have so many shirts ( long sleeve for winter and short for summer casual ) that I would need another closet to hang them all...

I, too, prefer to have my shirts folded. Makes things easier when I have to pack for travel. Here in NYC, Hallak does a nice folded shirt (for an insane price, of course...).

13. Pundit

Pundit Senior member

I have had my shirts folded by the laundry for decades for all the reasons mentioned thus far. However, I have now just started ironing and folding by better shirts, but am looking for some type of shirt "envelope" that would lessen the unfolding that takes place one they get stacked up in my closet. Anyone know of such an "envelope"? See any reason not to do this?

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

They recently renovated Joan Crawford's house in Brentwood to something unrecognizable.

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Wire hangers from laundry and then if wish put them on nice wooden hangers at your home.