Folded Up Shirt P0rn

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, May 23, 2007.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The blue and white stripe is a beauty.

Yeah, that's my favorite. The other two are still useful, though. The "white" one is not really white, but a very light cream, maybe "eggshell."

2. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

While I realize that Acorn is supposedly the shirting of the English upper class, deployed like a secret handshake [​IMG], every shirtmaker I know swears that the quality is well below par, especially for the price.

[​IMG]

My shirtmaker believes that the quality is on par with TM Silverline. Even if the quality is inferior to the TM offering, I would still stick with it as I buy direct from Acorn at ~$10-$15 a meter. For whatever reason, I have never really developed an appreciation for the high count shirtings and am easily pleased with the simple stuff.

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

[​IMG] My shirtmaker believes that the quality is on par with TM Silverline. Even if the quality is inferior to the TM offering, I would still stick with it as I buy direct from Acorn at ~$10-$15 a meter. For whatever reason, I have never really developed an appreciation for the high count shirtings and am easily pleased with the simple stuff.
    Many of the English shirtmakers love Acorn. Acorn concentrates on a fine but basic quality and finish which Every honest shirtmaker I know appreciates. I myself have been putting the Acorn fabric through its paces and have been impressed with the results.

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Many of the English shirtmakers love Acorn. Acorn concentrates on a fine but basic quality and finish which Every honest shirtmaker I know appreciates. I myself have been putting the Acorn fabric through its paces and have been impressed with the results.
    I don't know if that's the best recommendation since a lot of the English shirtmakers also use Ringhart.

Personally, I don't like the Acorn patterns & colors as much as TM Silverline but reasonable minds can obviously differ on that.

I've also heard that Acorn isn't quite as good but at that price, it could definitely be worth it if your CMT cost is low enough

5. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

The pale peach and the blue stripe are both linen/cotton blends.
    T-shirt is not necessary as they are not that gauzy.

I have not seen any bamboo shirt fabric, though I know it is being developed.

I will not say anything about Acorn as I do not work with them. no one stocks the fabric in the states. the shipping charges are a bit high for me to by in cut lengths.
    Ringhart produces in India. nice designs and quality and fair prices. again the shipping for cut lengths make it hard to order.

Carl

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I don't know if that's the best recommendation since a lot of the English shirtmakers also use Ringhart. Personally, I don't like the Acorn patterns & colors as much as TM Silverline but reasonable minds can obviously differ on that. I've also heard that Acorn isn't quite as good but at that price, it could definitely be worth it if your CMT cost is low enough
    I dont think theres any inconsistency here and i think it would be careless for someone to assume that the English shirtmakers do not understand cloth. The shirtmakers i am speaking of understand the shortcomings of Ringhart fabric but still offer them because there's a demand in the City for their more aggressive and experimental patterns; patterns the higher end fabric merchants cant afford to take a chance on. These same shirtmakers have related they think Acorn is an excellent all around quality indeed on par with Thomas Mason whom i think also offer quality cotton. Indeed, they think some of the Swiss mills offer even better quality or finer cottons (Although the Grassmere quality from Acorn is considered great for silkiness/durability). So there is "better" than Acorn, as long as you understand that this is in the same vein that pure spun cashmere is "better" than worsted wool and that something's being better does not make what it is better than, inadequate.

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Just in time for spring, linen BDs:

[​IMG]

Very nice Manton. Love the collar roll.

Nice work there Carl. [​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

These just arrived from Ian at Shopthefinest.com today. A couple of white Anna Matuorro shirts. This is my second shipment of them. I was so happy to find them with the extra wide spread, almost cutaway collars. I have found this collar style to be "just right" with my tailored jacket-sans-tie look. The tips stay back neatly tucked just under my lapels for a neat look. At $139.00 and with an ever weakening Dollar to the Euro, these are quite a deal. And, a fraction of the price of my MTM Borrelli shirts but every it as good IMO.

[​IMG]

9. Eustace Tilley

Some linen-cottons for the summer - D&J Anderson and Loro Piana (initials buzzed out):

[​IMG]

Loro Piana

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D&J Anderson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sweet ET![​IMG]

I have two linen/cotton Loro Piana stripes on order with Geneva as we speak.

11. Eustace Tilley

Sweet ET![​IMG]

I have two linen/cotton Loro Piana stripes on order with Geneva as we speak.

Thanks. That's a great order - I love the LP linen / cottons.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Geneva? They look great, but so similar!

13. scruff

scruff Senior member

22 bucks

No longer. It's between 35 and 50 now (the latter with MOP buttons, special detailing and Egyptian cotton).

14. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Thanks. That's a great order - I love the LP linen / cottons.

How does the cost of LP linen / cotton compare to TM Silver line? Or D&J Anderson?

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

How does the cost of LP linen / cotton compare to TM Silver line? Or D&J Anderson?

It's a lot more.