1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Folded Up Shirt P0rn

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, May 23, 2007.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Distinguished Member

Nice pics. What is your opinion of Frank Rostron?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

They were good shirts. I ordered a few many years ago. Most are still wearable.

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Distinguished Member

They were good shirts. I ordered a few many years ago. Most are still wearable.

Thanks. I believe he does a lot for Corneliani MTM these days.

4. jamesbond

jamesbond Distinguished Member

Manton, what color are the stripes on that last shirt? Black? Thanks.

5. Manton

Lightish medium blue.

6. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior Member

going to need collar replacement. Interesting that the cuffs on some of Manton's shirts have not been replaced with white when the collar was.

My shirtmaker also mentioned that it didn't have to be white. Since some of my shirts are tattersalls and colored solids this should be an interesting picture to post should it come to pass ...[​IMG]

7. Manton

Interesting that the cuffs on some of Manton's shirts have not been replaced with white when the collar was.

The blue one got a new collar and cuffs, because the originals (all self) were shot. The pink one got new collar, but the cuffs were OK, and remain the originals. The blue stripe is a new shirt, ordered with a white collar, only the second shirt I have ever had made that way (and it will probably be the last).

8. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior Member

and cuffs. Can I / Should I, ... with a blazer ... &etc.

When my shirts' time comes to do this 'mod', I think I'm going to wear them right out of the dryer with jeans and chelsea boots and pretend I've come home from work and couldn't have been bothered to change. Yeah, that's the ticket.[​IMG]

I remember a tall fit gray haired man of about 70 in my nabe who walked a dog and wore obviously bespoke shirts with colored bodies and white collars in a getup like this. Smoked a cigar. Everyone was impressed in a good way. [​IMG]

9. WestIndianArchie

WestIndianArchie Senior Member

Best post i've seen on SF.

Great job guys.

*ponders paying off student loans or buying shirts*

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

More pink and blue end on end:

[​IMG]

11. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Distinguished Member

Nice pics. What is your opinion of Frank Rostron?

He rides around Manchester in a Jag with the number plate SH1RTS...[​IMG]

12. whnay.

whnay. Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Are you speaking from first-hand experience or are you simply judging a few crappy internet pictures?

I own probably 80-100 shirts from most makers discussed in this forum and my Jantzen shirts (when they actually show up) are definitely in the top quartile for quality and fit and easily rank #1 for value. I paid 5 times more for shirts and I feel like a fool for that.

Bolded for truth. Quality customer service has value, not 10x the value to be sure but it counts for something. I have no doubt there are many satisfied Jantzen customers, I personally wouldn't be one of them given their reputation for misplacing orders, sub par fabrics, etc. That is my opinion not a universal truth.

13. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Distinguished Member

Bolded for truth. Quality customer service has value, not 10x the value to be sure but it counts for something. I have no doubt there are many satisfied Jantzen customers, I personally wouldn't be one of them given their reputation for misplacing orders, sub par fabrics, etc. That is my opinion not a universal truth.

A much better way of putting it compared to your initial comment on Jantzen.

14. Master Shake

Master Shake Distinguished Member

going to need collar replacement. Interesting that the cuffs on some of Manton's shirts have not been replaced with white when the collar was.

My shirtmaker also mentioned that it didn't have to be white. Since some of my shirts are tattersalls and colored solids this should be an interesting picture to post should it come to pass ...[​IMG]

I was once told that it is historically more accurate to have only the collar in contrasting white because it is a reference to detachable collars, and the cuffs on those shirts were in the same fabric as the body, not white. Still, while I'm not really into contrast collar shirts anymore, I doubt I would ever go for the self-cuffs but contrast collar look.

15. whnay.

whnay. Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

A much better way of putting it compared to your initial comment on Jantzen.

Well whatever. For Christ sake this is an online forum not a gentlemen's club. I shouldn't need have a disclaimer that what I write is my opinion on every post.

I think Jantzen is shit, I wouldn't spend money on it, I would think people that do are silly for doing so but I'm sure others would feel the same way about spending on what I do for a demi-measure shirt. Oh well...doesn't affect my spending habits.