Folded Up Shirt P0rn

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, May 23, 2007.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Beautiful shirts whnay! How is the fit with demi-measure?

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Beautiful shirts whnay! How is the fit with demi-measure?

Very good, in fact the last time I was there one of the tailors asked if my shirt was bespoke. I was surprised by how much input I was allowed to have with regards to fit...etc.

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Very good, in fact the last time I was there one of the tailors asked if my shirt was bespoke. I was surprised by how much input I was allowed to have with regards to fit...etc.

Nice! Are any fittings offered with demi-measure?

4. whnay.

Nice! Are any fittings offered with demi-measure?
    Other than the initial fitting..not that I'm aware of...

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

B., you give me hope. I will be in Paris at the end of June, but not long enough for grand-mÃ[​IMG]sure. Would you be so kind as to give a run-down of what you were able to specify? For example, was it your sense that one could specify a smaller/higher armhole?

Thank you.

- B

6. Biscione

Biscione Senior member

Charvet is such a terrible store. It should really be re-done, and completely re-hired: every time I've been there over the past few years I've found them completely hopeless and rude (and I speak French fluently, so it couldn't be racism).

When I can afford it I'm entirely relying upon my tailor.

7. the etruscan

the etruscan Senior member

B., you give me hope. I will be in Paris at the end of June, but not long enough for grand-mÃ[​IMG]sure. Would you be so kind as to give a run-down of what you were able to specify? For example, was it your sense that one could specify a smaller/higher armhole?

Thank you.

- B

Experience may vary person to person, but I was able to specify collar length, width and shape, arm length, body length, and general diameter.

Specifying higher armholes, smaller sleeves, larger cuffs, or changes to body shape beyond general diameter were turned down as "this is not grand-mesure, sorry we don't do that on demi-mesure." My saleswoman was very friendly and helpful, but the demi-mesure experience was quite limited for me.

8. whnay.

Thank you.

- B

Well vox I don't want to give you a false impression, I'm pretty much right on a 15 to 15.5 body and spot on 15.5 collar. I was given the option to choose different buttons, diameter of the cuff, and minor estetic touches like no placket, etc. The shirts themselves in my experiance are cut with a high armhole, not as high as some of my Borrelli's but high.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Experience may vary person to person, but I was able to specify collar length, width and shape, arm length, body length, and general diameter.

This is more than they'll let you do at Bergdorf. You can't pick the length of the collar points and you're stuck to stock body sizes within a certain range of your neck size.

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Whatever Bergdorfs and Saks call their offering, they're only selling a stock special shirt from Charvet. If you go to the shop you might have a more flexible made-to-order offering, I don't know.

I do know that I've always been treated very well there. It's like Cheers', where everybody knows your name...

"Makin' your way in Place Vendome today takes everything you got...
    Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get a shirt?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
    and they're always glad you came."

11. whnay.

My opinion is that you go to Charvet to buy an overpriced well-made shirt with arguably the most comprehensive fabric selection in the world. The history, atmosphere, and the surprisingly friendly sales staff...not to mention the location will keep me coming back every time I go to Paris.

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

My opinion is that you go to Charvet to buy an overpriced well-made shirt with arguably the most comprehensive fabric selection in the world.
    That's rather well put.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

They have never been anything but super friendly to me, and the fabric selection is unmatched. I don't think their shirts are really all that overpriced.

14. whnay.

They have never been anything but super friendly to me, and the fabric selection is unmatched. I don't think their shirts are really all that overpriced.
    Overpriced is a relative term I guess. 100% of my friends outside places like SF would never even think of spending $500 on a shirt, even the guys that are hitters in NYC. But when you really think about it I could go down to NM today and a RTW Kiton is going to cost me close to $600, Brioni and Borrelli slightly less. Fine RTW to be sure but nothing like Anna or Charvet. Of course the all-in cost of such items is significantly higher, but its not as if your coming away with nothing other than the shirts.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Of course the all-in cost of such items is significantly higher, but its not as if your coming away with nothing other than the shirts.

So true. For us Americans in particular, I'd suppose there is always added value in the adventure to get such shirts. You wind up seeing some beautiful places and meeting some really wonderful people. When you buy a Kiton or Borrelli at Saks, you don't have the same sense of place tied to the shirt's origin.