• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. emptym's shirts seemed pretty good in person, but I'll have to see how mine turns out.

I'm almost certainly an outlier here because I'm not particularly interested in handsewn details on my shirts, and I don't really care about MOP buttons. Those things are great, but I don't want to pay for them. I wear MTM shirts because I have no other choice. If Luxire can make me a shirt with the correct measurements out of a decent cloth, constructed well enough that it maintains its shape, I will consider it good value for the money.

emptym

Reaction score

emptym, those shirts look good, a bit fuller than what most here like but I like the way they look on you. I would only suggest slightly longer points on both collars and I think maybe a bit taller height? If you wear these with a jacket, how much collar would you see from the back?
BTW, those pants are very nicely cut, are they Chan?

Thanks Ed. Yep, the pants are by Chan. They do a great job.

The collars are 1 7/8" in the back. I think they show a little more than a half inch. The spread has 3" points and the bd 3.25". Bigger might be better, but I have a narrow head. I ordered a couple shirts from Carl when I was in NYC recently (due mainly to your shirts). We went the same size collar points but w/ 2" in the back. I ordered one in the basic SG-killing chambray and a basic blue/black check in a fancy fabric. Looking forward to those too.

...I dropped off the swatches at imatlas's place on Saturday.

Perfect. Thanks B.

I don't mean to dump cold water on your enthusiasm here, but I received a shirt from Luxire about a week ago...

Ya, it is a machine-made shirt that can be customized. But I think you underestimate the quality. The construction's definitely above LE or regular BB shirts: the collars are unfused by default, the lining, buttons, and thread are of better quality, and the stitching's probably twice as dense. I'm w/ SB in that I don't really care about handwork on shirts, at least for the seams. I have some w/ very nice handmade buttonholes and shanking, both of which I like. But I'm not convinced handwork in other areas adds much beyond romance. In any case, Luxire is working on adding handwork and other details for those who prefer them.

Which fabric did you order? The Monti is wonderful irl, while the "warzone" oxford seems more special on paper. Time will tell more. They sent a bunch of swatches (since I asked about a couple fabrics and promised to pass swatches on to friends) and it was interesting how varied the fabrics were in sheen, wrinkle-resistance, thickness, etc.

I do agree with you on the monogram's size. But I asked that a single letter be placed toward the bottom of the placket. It's hidden when the shirt is tucked. And they did the letter in a matching thread (white on both), so even when untucked the monogram isn't noticeable unless you're close and looking for it.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
My second order arrived today, The checks are Monti and the oxford and chambray are Brembana: [/I]

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My trial shirt should arrive tomorrow. Of course, I'm on the other side of the country... :fu:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Unfused collar

Came with metal stays which I put in for the headline shot above.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just tried it on, and the fit, she is nice. I'll have to whip out the tape measure, but I think the collar may be shy of the measurement I gave. Also, like the ModernTailor shirts I have, the buttonholes on the French cuffs are too small for my favorite links (pretty standard BB ball-end links). I'll probably wear it tomorrow and post pics.

BTW, Ashish from Luxire sent me an e-mail yesterday to ask about the fit after he got the delivery confirmation. So far, I'm pleased with everything else. I also noted that they have already incorporated some feedback that emptym gave them about the shirts he received, completely without prompting by me.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

sugarbabe, post a fit pic please if you get a chance, I'm not really feeling that collar for you.

Will do, but if you don't like that, then I suspect you haven't liked most of my fit pics because that's my default collar shape. The standard advice would have me in a less spread collar, but I just don't like 'em.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Will do, but if you don't like that, then I suspect you haven't liked most of my fit pics because that's my default collar shape. The standard advice would have me in a less spread collar, but I just don't like 'em.

you are correct sir. if you like that spread and collar height, I would suggest lengthening the points by about 1/2-3/4 inches.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At this length the points are already well tucked under my lapels. That's a 3" point.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

At this length the points are already well tucked under my lapels. That's a 3" point.

its not about your lapels, its about your face. We have similar builds and head shape and I think you would benefit from another 1/2 in the points and a smaller spread. Also, what is the height of that collar, looks to be at least 2 inches which is pretty high. Anyway, its impossible to tell how it is going to look until you are wearing it so don't pay me any mind. One thing I will point out is that wrinkling around the collar is not a good sign on a new shirt, wash/wear it a few times before ordering more.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads