• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The light-blue shirt at the very botton is perhaps the best of the lot. Though I would strong suggest you opt for a more regular spread instead - I understand the impulse to get something distinctive when you enter the bespoke world, but you'll realize over time that its best to let the fit of the garment, and other assorted 'little' details, do the talking.

The cutaway-spreads (incl. the Finamore) have always struck me as a bit much.

See if you like the one below - its my standard collar - a bit more spread that a regular English spread, but nothing crazy.

Last edited:

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
That is a very attractive collar and I appreciate you talking me back from the leadge. It is invariably an impulse of mine when doing MTM/Bespoke to get a statement piece, even when the best thing would simply be another grey suit or blue shirt.

I will let you know how it goes and will try to post photos when they arrive

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I just got some sample shirtings from Acorn, and while I love the King AQ ginghams, I'm not wowed by the Oxford 50's x 2/24s or the 100% linens. Which weavers, in your opinion(s), make the best oxford broadcloth or linen?

Last edited:

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is a very attractive collar and I appreciate you talking me back from the leadge. It is invariably an impulse of mine when doing MTM/Bespoke to get a statement piece, even when the best thing would simply be another grey suit or blue shirt.

I will let you know how it goes and will try to post photos when they arrive
There's a poster here, Cayman I believe is his screen name, who posted some cutaway collar pics and I thought they looked ridiculously bad.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just got some sample shirtings from Acorn, and while I love the King AQ ginghams, I'm not wowed by the Oxford 50's x 2/24s or the 100% linens. Which weavers, in your opinion(s), make the best oxford broadcloth or linen?

I've had the opposite experience - their 100s (Grange and King) are meh, but their oxfords are pretty nice. I find no need to get fancy with oxford cloth, and think the simple, coarse stuff is sufficient.

As for linen, I've had good luck with Grandi & Rubinelli.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My shirts were, as all of mine are, made by Joe Hemrajani. I have a great relationship with him and he is very reasonably priced. I learned of Joe through Will of ASW. Joe will do anything you like with a shirt and, once he has your measurements, his turnaround time is outstanding--4 weeks for the above.

Burton - I have made an appointment to see Joe in the middle of May.

I reviewed their collar choices and wanted to know if you had used a custom desi

gned collar with Mytailor. I asked Joe and he said to bring in a picture and if possible a cardboard cutout of the collar shape, but if not possible then a picture would suffice.

Have you (or anyone else feel free to chime in) done a custom collar design with mytailor? How has it turned out?

I've attached a picture of the collar shape I am interested in so if anyone has a Finamore with a similar collar shape I'd greatly appreciate helping me with the dimensions as well.

I like this collar. try it
Avoid udeshi

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice one! I'll be contributing to this thread myself in a few days, will finally get to see the new kitons and a patterned isaia MTM from my last nyc visit!

See if you like the one below - its my standard collar - a bit more spread that a regular English spread, but nothing crazy.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I've had the opposite experience - their 100s (Grange and King) are meh, but their oxfords are pretty nice. I find no need to get fancy with oxford cloth, and think the simple, coarse stuff is sufficient.

As for linen, I've had good luck with Grandi & Rubinelli.

Thanks! Just placed an order for a length of G&R linen from badsha.

I seem to remember someone posting a link to the company that makes oxford cloth for BB, does anyone have that link or company name handy?

johanm

Reaction score

I seem to remember someone posting a link to the company that makes oxford cloth for BB, does anyone have that link or company name handy?

It's Supima. If anyone knows how to order cloth from them, I would definitely be interested to know

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

It's Supima. If anyone knows how to order cloth from them, I would definitely be interested to know

I don't think that's it...looks like Supima is a grower's coop or something similar. They produce the cotton, but somebody else weaves it into oxford cloth.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supima is a type of cotton as well. If you want nice Oxford cloth just look for the big mills like Canclini, Albini Group, Alumo, SIC Tess, etc.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm specifically looking for sturdy, thick oxford cloth like the classic BB OCBD. None of that namby-pamby Royal Oxford, thankyouverymuch!

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm specifically looking for sturdy, thick oxford cloth like the classic BB OCBD. None of that namby-pamby Royal Oxford, thankyouverymuch!

i am trying to buy a roll of pima cotton oxford cloth that was woven in the USA for Brooks brothers.
it was woven in 1992. i am waiting for a sample.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads