Folded Up Shirt P0rn

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, May 23, 2007.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

For me this has worked out better than bespoke and much cheaper.

really.

just in case. vox' quoted price for the dege's is much lower than most popular RTW.

despite the nick nacks and fittings nonsense, which is popular among the sf-crowd. a custom made shirt has more soul than anything out of a seamstress. if you can duplicate this with your alteration tailor.

more power to you.

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

NVM. I can't read.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

NVM. I can't read.

how many fittings?

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

A few from Manuel Martinez in Baton Rouge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

The collar shape looks similar to the standard H & K collar.
    Am I correct?

i brought in an H&K OTR to Sean, and said i liked their collars. He showed me a collar type he does that was similar, but in his opinion more stylish, so i went with his suggestion for a collar which was a bit longer on the tip

6. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Sean O'Flynn in Alumo cotton (Zaphir I think)

[​IMG]

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Is it the photo angle or is this collar very high ?

Great shirt btw

8. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Probably a combination. The collar points are 3" and the neckband at the front is 1.5"

They are taller than my bespoke T&A, but work much better as a consequence. I have quite a thick neck for my size, and the taller collar makes it seem more proportionate

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

They are taller than my bespoke T&A, but work much better as a consequence. I have quite a thick neck for my size, and the taller collar makes it seem more proportionate
    Interesting - I've always thought about this the other way around. Tall collars for thin or elongated necks.

10. richardcharles

richardcharles Well-Known Member

I must admit the martinez boys in LA have very good taste. I have seen photos of their work and have always been impressed.

11. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

Did you ever try taking your Napolitan RTW shirts to the tailor to improve the fit? I ask as I'm considering having the sides taken in on some Finamore and Borrellis.
    I got the same issue, but in order to not destroy the armhole handwork, I can only add darts on the back while closing that obnoxious double pleats on the back that look me feel humped. How are you gonna do? I hate darts on dress shirts, but seems the only solution , as I can´t recut them as I do on no handmade rtw ones. I am too slim... 2nd question, on all the Mason swatches from this Summer, 99% of them were zaphyre and not very expensive. I thought it was the $$$ cotton used by Kiton, as got the same touch as my super $$ Kiton and Zileri Sartoriale 350 euros shirts. What do you think about Zaphire cotton ? Best one?

12. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I must admit the martinez boys in LA have very good taste. I have seen photos of their work and have always been impressed.
    Manuel is an exceptionally nice person. He has great taste, understands what does and doesn't work, and he is very service oriented. I'm impressed he's been able to maintain a robust business in Baton Rouge. I'm not sure he's appreciated to the degree he deserves.

13. anon

anon Senior member

Manuel is an exceptionally nice person. He has great taste, understands what does and doesn't work, and he is very service oriented. I'm impressed he's been able to maintain a robust business in Baton Rouge. I'm not sure he's appreciated to the degree he deserves.
    How much does the average shirt from them run? I saw a blurb online that said they start at $85, but what's reasonable to expect for a decent shirt that's not made of top-of-the-line fabrics?

14. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

How much does the average shirt from them run? I saw a blurb online that said they start at $85, but what's reasonable to expect for a decent shirt that's not made of top-of-the-line fabrics?
    I don't know where you saw that price, but that's low. I believe I was quoted $195 on up, depending on fabric and I think I paid in the $275-$350 range.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I have quite a thick neck for my size, and the taller collar makes it seem more proportionate

me too.

despite i cannot imagine that more height would be helpful in my case. i'm easy on feeling cramped around the neck.