Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Folded Up Shirt P0rn

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, May 23, 2007.

1. kcc

kcc Senior member

This batch was a mix of two button barrel/no gauntlet button and French cuffs with gauntlet buttons. Next batch in Simonet-Godard chambray will be all barrel cuffs.
    - B

The round model is my default choice. Less of a fuss when getting dressed.

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Next batch in Simonet-Godard will be all barrel cuffs.

p l e e e a a a s e [​IMG]

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

The fit is such a dramatic difference from all my RTW shirts (mostly from the usual Neapolitan RTW subjects...Borrelli, Barba and Kiton) that I'm loathe to wear the RTW (except for OCBDs) anymore.

Did you ever try taking your Napolitan RTW shirts to the tailor to improve the fit?

I ask as I'm considering having the sides taken in on some Finamore and Borrellis.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Did you ever try taking your Napolitan RTW shirts to the tailor to improve the fit?

I ask as I'm considering having the sides taken in on some Finamore and Borrellis.

I did, and then I decided it would make more sense to apply that money to picking a shirtmaker and getting new shirts made.

There are aspects to how the Dege fit that could not be addressed adequately by taking in, say, a blousy RTW Borrelli. The shape of the collar, the dimensions of the neckband, the fit around the shoulders and neck, the height and orientations of the armholes, taking into account different aspects of how each shoulder stands, the curve from upper to lower back, and so on. And the Dege don't fight the fit of my bespoke jackets like RTW shirts do. My jackets almost feel like they are "snapping" into place over the shirts.

I was prepared for a big improvement, but it is more dramatic than I thought it would be.

I have no idea how much of this is because Robert Whittaker is a great stylist and shirtmaker, or if most bespoke shirtmakers can duplicate the type of result that I have gotten with him. I can say that I'm very glad that I picked him.

- B

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

orientations of the armholes... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I have odd shoulders myself, so I appreciate Vox's comment. My pattern is adjusted for the slope (less than usual), the pitch forward (more than usual), protruding shoulder blades (more than usual), etc. The shirt hangs off the shoulders, so it really makes a difference.

That said, I've found that I don't like an aggressive armhole on shirts. I spend too much time with my arms forward, typing at a computer, and they tended to dig in.

7. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

I've had this done with fantastic results. Most of my Euro Borrelli's have only needed darts as the shoulders, yoke and arm-holes fit perfectly off the rack. I've had alot of RLPL shirts completely re-cut that have also come out perfectly. For me this has worked out better than bespoke and much cheaper. I guess it's a matter of finding the right bespoke maker that can get your patterned nailed down quickly, I just haven't been able to find one or willing to deal with that hassle anymore. I will probably give T&A another try down the road and maybe Geneva but I'm very happy right now with picking up high-end RTW on deep discount and having them altered.

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

orientations of the armholes... [​IMG] [​IMG]

There's one on each side. [​IMG]

- B

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I've had this done with fantastic results. Most of my Euro Borrelli's have only needed darts as the shoulders, yoke and arm-holes fit perfectly off the rack. I've had alot of RLPL shirts completely re-cut that have also come out perfectly. For me this has worked out better than bespoke and much cheaper. I guess it's a matter of finding the right bespoke maker that can get your patterned nailed down quickly, I just haven't been able to find one or willing to deal with that hassle anymore. I will probably give T&A another try down the road and maybe Geneva but I'm very happy right now with picking up high-end RTW on deep discount and having them altered.

I'm surprised that you've found a tailor willing to do all that to a RTW shirt without charging you a lot...but since you have, more power to you.

Maybe it is worth doing that to some of my favorite old RTW shirts. We'll see.

- B

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I did, and then I decided it would make more sense to apply that money to picking a shirtmaker and getting new shirts made.
    I've had this done with fantastic results.
    Thank you both for your thoughts. I'll start out with one and see how it goes.

I was prepared for a big improvement, but it is more dramatic than I thought it would be.
    Good to hear. My own experiment with 'bespoke' shirts never yielded the results I was hoping for. I say 'bespoke' as I wasn't able to meet the shirtmaker in person, me being in Denmark and him being in Brittain. So while a personal pattern was made up, it was based on my own measurements, as was the following changes to the pattern. But after four tries we still couldn't adequately nail the pattern.

Of course, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that it requires the personal touch of a skilled shirtmaker for the best possible fit.

11. OffTheRack

OffTheRack Senior member

I have no idea how much of this is because Robert Whittaker is a great stylist and shirtmaker, or if most bespoke shirtmakers can duplicate the type of result that I have gotten with him. I can say that I'm very glad that I picked him.

- B

If you don't mind my asking, why/how did you decide to try Dege for your bespoke shirts? Were you recommended to Dege by a suit maker? Or do they have a reputation for doing a style you were interested in? Just curious why you chose them given all of the potential options.

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

If you don't mind my asking, why/how did you decide to try Dege for your bespoke shirts? Were you recommended to Dege by a suit maker? Or do they have a reputation for doing a style you were interested in? Just curious why you chose them given all of the potential options.

this will answer all your questions:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=142239

13. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Maybe it is worth doing that to some of my favorite old RTW shirts. We'll see.
    - B

I have found that my RTW shirts can be improved and that this is fine for casual shirts. On the whole, though, I strongly prefer my custom shirts and buy as many as I can afford each year.

I, too, really like the blue micro-check in your latest batch, Vox.

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I just ordered a cut of the grange, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try. It's 36", which I've never bought before, so I hope 3m is enough. I guess I'll find out the hard way if I'm wrong.

15. OffTheRack

OffTheRack Senior member