• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FMLA/employment law question

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are expecting the birth of our first child in February. My wife is a teacher and, looking at the calendar, very close to the end of the 12 weeks she would take off under FMLA is a scheduled vacation. If she is on leave going in to the vacation, she doesn't get paid for that vacation (it doesn't count against FMLA, but it is still unpaid even though the school is closed) - if she is back to work, of course, she does get paid. Therefore it may be advantageous for her to return to work slightly before the full 12 weeks in order to be paid for a week and a half that she will actually have off.

What is the minimum amount of time she would have to be back at work to be considered off of leave and eligible for the paid vacation? I don't know if this actually falls under FMLA, if there may be state regulations or if it may be dependent upon workplace policy.

FWIW, she did ask HR but the response doesn't sit right with me. The HR rep is the type who normally responds very quickly to email inquiries. With this one, a few days went by and my wife had to send a follow-up email. The rep said to come down to her office to explain and then told my wife 2-3 weeks before the vacation. This indicates to me that HR a) didn't want to put anything in writing and b) probably doesn't have a written policy to support what was said.

The way I see it, when she returns to work she is expected to be treated as any other employee, with the same entitlements. In this case, the school requires teachers to work the day prior to and the day following a vacation in order to be paid for it. Therefore, IMO if she works a full day (or hell, even 2) before the vacation she should be paid for it as any other employee.

This is a private school, no teacher's union. The rule that says the one day before/one day after a scheduled vacation is in the employee policy guide.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Confused...
if there is a rule in the guide that says one day before/one day after...isn't that the answer to your question?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Confused...
if there is a rule in the guide that says one day before/one day after...isn't that the answer to your question?

I would think so - seems straightforward to me, just wanted confirmation that I'm looking at this correctly and not missing anything...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What state are you located in? I thought you may have to use 1-2 weeks of vacation before FMLA or the state version of FMLA kicks in kicks in-at least in CA.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
What state are you located in? I thought you may have to use 1-2 weeks of vacation before FMLA or the state version of FMLA kicks in kicks in-at least in CA.

In MD. Vacation can be applied to the FMLA time to receive it paid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads