• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

rubykris

Reaction score
I did fly fishing in Salt Lake City a year ago.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How active/old is your dad? A little hiking goes a long way toward getting away from the crowds. We were in GT almost thirty years ago and memory is very hazy - the Snake is the big water, I seem to recall the Gros Ventre & Buffalo Creek (?), but I would check in w/ a shop in Jackson Hole to get info. DIY will save you $$, but booking a guide will save you time and frustration - there is a lot of water and they know it (and you don't). Where are your Yellowstone reservations? There's all kinds of online info and books re YNP fishing, and a bunch of shops in West (Craig Matthews' Blue Ribbon Flies :thumbs-up:),and a couple up in Gardiner at the north entrance. Floating would be the Madison or the Yellowstone (outside the park). You could also spend a day over in Idaho on the Henry's Fork (Mike Lawson's shop in Last Chance is great). The Gibbon/Firehole/Madison in the park are nice but are readily accessible and see a lot of anglers. Go a little out the way - the Lamar, Soda Butte, Slough Creek, etc. are still popular but I believe get less pressure than the water closer to the west entrance. Obviously June is prime time - again a good guide will get you away from crowds (let them know if that's what you want) and keep you from spinning your wheels.

Thank you for the helpful advice and input. My father is a former marathoner but at 73 he is slowing down. We are going to be staying at Healing Waters with a group of 10 and doing guided fishing. My girlfriend and I will be visiting YNP for the first time and there will be no fishing, just hiking and sightseeing.

So far we are staying 3 nights in grand teton (at least one of those days will be spent in YNP) at Colter Bay Village. Then we are going to Old Faithful lodge for one night in the "old house" (it was all we could get) and three nights in Mammoth hot springs cabins. . . . . the last night I haven't been able to find a place yet

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is still the best view in Eldorado Canyon. I fished and bouldered for a few hours this afternoon despite the 68 MPH wind gusts (wind speed reported in Eldorado Springs, just a little downstream of where I was fishing in the narrowest part of the canyon).

27F1FEA8-C3A7-4CDA-B995-BC8B05CACD4A.jpeg

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today, I caught my first trout inside the city limits.

12A46298-1127-46BF-9B03-E38081AFBFAE.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent a couple of hours today fishing new waters, close to home. It’s a gorgeous day here in the Front Range.

1B386A5F-ABBC-4B71-960E-28710511489F.jpeg
3E3D6F1E-C371-47F9-8BFF-0E74F25FC514.jpeg

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father has built his life around fly fishing and hunting and he finally extended an invite to me to what he calls "Tarpon Camp". Every April since '95 a bunch of his friends have descended on the Florida Keys to catch Tarpon on the fly. He had some guys drop out this year (some are getting pretty old) so I went. But I hadn't thrown a fly rod since I was a kid.

So I took some casting lessons here in Pittsburgh before going and my teacher, speaking of Lefty Kreh, was good friends with the man and a student himself. Got to hear a few Lefty stories during the lessons.

Anyway, I was down in the keys for 4 days and finally caught two Tarpon on the fly on the fourth. Super happy about it. I'll get some pics up soon. I'm supposed to be doing some smallmouth bass fly fishing with my teacher this summer.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fishing in downtown Boulder between groups of college kids tubing on the creek? Check.

A2114E6B-26B6-463B-97E6-98C29FB9CCD8.jpeg

i10casual

Reaction score
I really want to start fly fishing, however, I live in the West TX desert. It looks so fun though. I think there may be some spots in New Mexico that I could drive up to.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9F2E0828-24A0-4976-AB93-5944B20E2983.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fishing in the Wilderness.

47EF0137-FED6-4BEA-AF66-586655C01CAD.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caught this beauty of a brown trout at about 9,000 feet in Rocky Mountain National Park. I’ve caught 8 today.

7FB7DB84-8FB6-4373-8F25-5DFAA850685E.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads