• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JFC, dude. I gave you a website, a pic to emulate and a video to watch. And some pretty direct advice - don't hold trout like that if you intend to release them. Past that, you're on your own.

But if you want some wisdom, whoever told you to lip an eight-inch trout for a selfie is a ******* moron. Stop listening to them.

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those in NYC (@romafan), we're hosting Ed and Judy Van Put next week.

zr1_CVRaPEHFdKMe03FDXu4fdrM9tDgX5iPXZWqkget2IS0MYgDywkgdmxp1lXo4HZVeKwk8gEkMxDBrGyze7iub7EzzbMph7tX8sWsscmbZG5HoagBXAQ=s0-d-e1-ft

_UMKdBvk8YG4j29Re6Znas7YTUnn8vIYLam082842_gcGxXaHUg2lQwyXmeT4Z0Crrd6kdmEoT-ph_gV1nhUUyuESjD2IqXh6zGOawfTi-h_OaMof_mYrl_EUvKJwy_0_ynEzBIkTHDhZ3w=s0-d-e1-ft

First off, congratulations to member Morgan Krell for the NYT article on his attempt to be the first person in NYC to catch a snakehead on a fly rod.

And then a quick reminder about next week's speaker event, where we hope to see everyone at what should a fantastic night!

An Evening with Ed & Judy Van Put!
BQB2NfFOPvIRm4w-1FQp3kqkGBOnnd7DYyDIU4oFgF-Sux-wu01rCIe1AEn9EHt_QSzknZE0bUI9ftKDdSJwOOnOQ-7eyuMP0Ql6Gjx58t0AGoKu1YNXTlVd9wv6kw=s0-d-e1-ft

November 14th
The Downtown Association: 60 Pine St, New York, NY 10005
Happy hour: 6:30 – 7:30
Speaker: 7:45 – 9:00

lefty
XHNcrW8PFJZoQsHM_Y-U_8F1WRVa9QdGj1HyEYJi2m1Y205pC67MqXZ7q_wifJ1pDVl7wC7uMIwuNQSq77wdbPhxpibJDfA5tTgN3QU=s0-d-e1-ft

I got this email, thanks lefty. No denim rule will be enforced! I read that snakehead article and figured Morgan might be a local member - do you know him? I thought I had the EVP book but got it mixed up w/ the Austin Francis one (Land of Little Rivers)? Unfortunately Tuesdays & Thursdays find me slogging out to Hackensack for kids' hockey practice :plain:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if you were on the list. Sorry, we won't see you.

Ed's book is great. Really an overview and history of the Catskills from the 1600's.

Morgan's a cool kid. If your kids are ever looking for a fly-fishing mentor closer to their age, he'd be a great choice.

lefty

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody been to healing waters lodge in Montana? I'm going in June and thinking of stopping by Yellowstone after for a few days since I'm going to be in the neighborhood

http://www.hwlodge.com/

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never been to YS. I believe roma has and may be more help. The place looks good and I doubt you can go wrong.

Trying to book a last minute trip to Honduras, either Roatan or Utila, if anyone has any experience there.

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a bunch of nice lodges in SW MT, but I'm not sure I've heard of Healing Waters, which doesn't mean anything of course. The lodge looks pretty sweet - Twin Bridges is home to Winston rods, and you're right in the heart of some of (the?) the best fishing in the continental US. The salmon fly hatch on the Big Hole is an awesome event if you can hit it right (early-mid June generally). One of their guides is Bart Doig - would not be surprised if he is related to the writer (Ivan Doig). You are probably 70 miles or so from W. Yellowstone, so it is a quick (by MT standards) jaunt over to the park.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have decided to go big on the vacation. Will be doing June 7-12 fly fishing with my father then June 12-19 hitting Yellowstone/Grand Teton with my GF. If anyone has suggestions for out of the way places in Yellowstone/GT that I shouldn't miss I'd be thankful to hear them.

I've actually been really lucky picking up cancelled reservations and will be staying 3 nights in GT and 4 in Yellowstone (though I imagine I'll be only seeing the sights in GT for 2 days and I'll spend the third in Yellowstone). Plans are still very much in flux, only the flight and car reservations are not subject to change at this point

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
A FF thread...cool! I'm grew up in eastern Canada and have been fly fishing since the nineties. Not getting out enough these days. My most recent trip was chasing steelhead on the Salmon River, NY, in November. Here is one that did not get away. Well, for the moment, anyway...she did live to swim another day.
IMG_4014.JPG

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ No. Ended up going south. But a buddy and I are in the midst of planning a Nova Scotia salmon/upland trip for early fall.

Any advice or tips on Cape Breton fishing would be great.

lefty

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ No. Ended up going south. But a buddy and I are in the midst of planning a Nova Scotia salmon/upland trip for early fall.

Any advice or tips on Cape Breton fishing would be great.

lefty

Sure, I'll shoot you a PM.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have decided to go big on the vacation. Will be doing June 7-12 fly fishing with my father then June 12-19 hitting Yellowstone/Grand Teton with my GF. If anyone has suggestions for out of the way places in Yellowstone/GT that I shouldn't miss I'd be thankful to hear them.

I've actually been really lucky picking up cancelled reservations and will be staying 3 nights in GT and 4 in Yellowstone (though I imagine I'll be only seeing the sights in GT for 2 days and I'll spend the third in Yellowstone). Plans are still very much in flux, only the flight and car reservations are not subject to change at this point

How active/old is your dad? A little hiking goes a long way toward getting away from the crowds. We were in GT almost thirty years ago and memory is very hazy - the Snake is the big water, I seem to recall the Gros Ventre & Buffalo Creek (?), but I would check in w/ a shop in Jackson Hole to get info. DIY will save you $$, but booking a guide will save you time and frustration - there is a lot of water and they know it (and you don't). Where are your Yellowstone reservations? There's all kinds of online info and books re YNP fishing, and a bunch of shops in West (Craig Matthews' Blue Ribbon Flies :thumbs-up:),and a couple up in Gardiner at the north entrance. Floating would be the Madison or the Yellowstone (outside the park). You could also spend a day over in Idaho on the Henry's Fork (Mike Lawson's shop in Last Chance is great). The Gibbon/Firehole/Madison in the park are nice but are readily accessible and see a lot of anglers. Go a little out the way - the Lamar, Soda Butte, Slough Creek, etc. are still popular but I believe get less pressure than the water closer to the west entrance. Obviously June is prime time - again a good guide will get you away from crowds (let them know if that's what you want) and keep you from spinning your wheels.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi guys,
A FF thread...cool! I'm grew up in eastern Canada and have been fly fishing since the nineties. Not getting out enough these days. My most recent trip was chasing steelhead on the Salmon River, NY, in November. Here is one that did not get away. Well, for the moment, anyway...she did live to swim another day.
View attachment 934140
:fistbump:

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How active/old is your dad? A little hiking goes a long way toward getting away from the crowds. We were in GT almost thirty years ago and memory is very hazy - the Snake is the big water, I seem to recall the Gros Ventre & Buffalo Creek (?), but I would check in w/ a shop in Jackson Hole to get info. DIY will save you $$, but booking a guide will save you time and frustration - there is a lot of water and they know it (and you don't). Where are your Yellowstone reservations? There's all kinds of online info and books re YNP fishing, and a bunch of shops in West (Craig Matthews' Blue Ribbon Flies :thumbs-up:),and a couple up in Gardiner at the north entrance. Floating would be the Madison or the Yellowstone (outside the park). You could also spend a day over in Idaho on the Henry's Fork (Mike Lawson's shop in Last Chance is great). The Gibbon/Firehole/Madison in the park are nice but are readily accessible and see a lot of anglers. Go a little out the way - the Lamar, Soda Butte, Slough Creek, etc. are still popular but I believe get less pressure than the water closer to the west entrance. Obviously June is prime time - again a good guide will get you away from crowds (let them know if that's what you want) and keep you from spinning your wheels.

Last year I read this book that got me really stoked to check out a lot of the places you are talking about. It is a fun read...

index.aspx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads