Fly fishing

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Jul 26, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I was condemned to a year in SanFo for past sins. Few survive unscathed.

lefty

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

3. romafan

romafan Senior member

Hey - thread's heating up! Lefty - where did that clip come from? I fished with Alex Hall a bunch of times up in northern NM on a property owned by the Jicarilla Apache tribe. HOOGE fish - Alex would come down from Pagosa Springs and take us around - he is a true fishing maniac, and steelies are at the top of his list. Other guy is Towne Van Zandt's son JT (sounds just like his dad now) I'm flabbergasted....

We're off to New Mexico in a couple of weeks - they've been getting some good late season snow.:slayer:

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  4. lefty

lefty Senior member

5. romafan

romafan Senior member

I just did - thanx man!

6. Kai

Kai Senior member

From Utah's Green River on Monday: Caught this nice brown lurking at the edge of the river in 6 inches of water on a hopper.

[​IMG]

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Screening at your place.

6 inches of water on a hopper must have been a hell of an explosion.

lefty

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

I don't swing wet flies or streamers that often but how are you guys recasting after the swing on a single-handed rod? I have been using a Snap T illustrated here:

There is an easy way to do this, but you’ll need to master a couple of simple tricks: the roll-cast pickup and the snap-T cast. It’s a three-step process. First, a roll-cast pickup allows you to get the line to the surface, so you can move it upstream more easily. Then, the snap-T moves your line from downstream to upstream. And finally, another roll-cast pickup gets the line airborne, so you can make the presentation cast. Here’s how the whole process works:
    1. At the end of the swing, allow your line to straighten in the current downstream. Then, raise your rod tip and make a long, aggressive roll-cast stroke. Don’t worry about what the cast looks like or how the line lands. All you want to accomplish here is getting the heavy sinking tip to the surface. With very heavy tips or shooting heads—especially when paired with a heavy, waterlogged streamer—you may have to make two or three hard roll casts in a row to get the fly to the top.
    2. As soon as you’ve got the fly line on the surface, immediately raise your rod diagonally upstream until the tip is pointing slightly upstream and upward at about 35-40 degrees to the water’s surface. As soon as the tip reaches this point, “snap” the tip downward and downstream in a chopping motion, as if you were forming the bottom leg of the number 7. As your rod tip travels underneath the line, the line will shoot upstream. Trust me: it will.
    3. Now you’ve got the line dumped on the water upstream of you. Before the line has a chance to sink, rotate your body upstream and immediately go into another roll-cast pickup aimed in the direction you want the final cast to go. You can make a full roll cast, if that’s all you need to get the fly where you want it. Otherwise, as the roll cast straightens out, don’t let the line the land and go into a back cast instead. You should now be casting normally in the correct direction.
    Although this sounds complicated, once you’ve done it a couple times, you’ll realize how simple it is, and the process will become second nature to you. The snap-T is one of many two-handed-rod techniques that has applications in single-hand fly fishing. By using the water tension and the weight of the sinking tip, you can move the line without having to aerialize a lot of line. In fact, when you become really proficient with this technique, you won’t have to strip in any line at the end of the drift, thus allowing you to get the fly in the water more quickly.

lefty

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  9. classicgrey

classicgrey Well-Known Member

Filson has a cool story up on their website about fishing the Driftless Area in Iowa. It's extra special for me because I'm part of the story.

Filson Life

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

You went fishing with Pugsley Adams, John Krasinski and Michael J Fox?

[​IMG]

lefty

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Trout mouthing nymphs; angler has no idea. This is why they tell you to set on the slightest twitch.

lefty

12. classicgrey

classicgrey Well-Known Member

Four Questions with Jene Hughes. Taken from my blog, Rod and Rivet.

[​IMG]

A couple years ago I went trout fishing in Iowa for the first time. My boss / fishing buddy took me over to the Second Avenue Bait Shop in Des Moines and told me to buy this book called “Iowa Trout Streams” by Jene Hughes. He being my boss I did as I was told. It turned out to be a good decision. Now, whenever friends ask me about trout fishing in Iowa, I always mention the book. Last month Jene spoke at the Trout Unlimited North Bear Chapter meeting, and I asked him to answer a few questions for Rod and Rivet.

What’s the best fishing advice you’ve ever been given?

1. The fish aren’t in the air; false cast only as much as you need to. I can’t begin to count the number of times I’ve wanted to give up on clients I was guiding because they kept false casting as fish rose in front of them. Learn to shoot the needed line at once (double hauling is every bit as important at close distances in tight cover as it is for distance on big water). Scatter five large paper plates on your lawn and cast from one to another, making sure that your tippet lands on the plate and the piece of bright yarn, your fly, lands a foot and a half or two beyond the plate where it will drift across the previous rise (the plate). Practice side arm casting to get under willow branches. Adapting from the farthest plate to the nearest one can be tricky. Pick your targets at random and allow only the customary two false casts to dry your fly and build line speed.

What’s the draw to fly fishing for you?

2. The appeal of fly fishing, to me, is fooling fish into eating fur and feathers, so I love dry flies. To me, the excitement is not in fighting big fish I’ve hooked. I’s just as soon they get off after I get a good look at them (usually). At the water, I always wait, sometimes even sit, at likely looking spots and wait to see a rise. It’s amazing how often a fish will rise after two or three minutes (that’s a fish you would have scared away by being too eager. Even if you prefer nymphs, it’s good to know where a fish is. Often it stays in the same place; sometimes it’s moving around to pool, run, or riffle. Learn to relax and fish deliberately, if not leisurely. Leave aggression to the bass pro guys (or until you’ve mastered reading the water).

What’s your dream fishing destination?

3. Honestly, the Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin streams are my favorite destinations. I do want to fish Crane Creek in MO, and I hope to fish the Wisconsin Coulee Country soon. I’d love to spend a night at that cabin on Timber Coulee sometime. For high-profile destinations, you can’t beat the Railroad Ranch section of the Henry’s Fork of the Snake River near Last Chance, ID. It’s just a ways south of West Yellowstone. I’ve never fished the Southwest’s desert streams and would like to; I’d also like to take a pack trip just to get some riding in. The Bob Marshall Wilderness Area is high on that list, but I don’t do well with high cliffs (or even mountain roads). I’d look into Argentina’s searun browns (Mel Krieger does that annually) before considering New Zealand. Big-fish fans go north for salmon and steelhead, but I’m not them. Give me small, technical streams any day.

What’s one piece of fishing equipment an angler should invest extra money in?

4. I say this in my book: a warm, wind-breaking, waterproof jacket (they used to be called steelhead jackets) will let you fish comfortably on days you might not have fished at all. They cost $200 – $300, more than some good rods. At the other end of the spectrum, I always have three TyRite tools hanging on my vest. They let you hold and tie on flies of any size without mushing the hackle. And I always carry an Amadou. After releasing a fish, I shake the fly vigorously under water, squeeze it dry with the Amadou, shake it for a second or two in a little bottle of drying crystals, and spritz it with floatant. The whole thing takes 30 seconds, and your fly floats like new.

Besides being the author of “Trout Fishing in Iowa,” Jene is the owner of Second Ave Bait Shop, a Professor of English, and the Associate Editor of Eastern Fly Fishing, Northwest Fly Fishing, and Southwest Fly Fishing magazines. You can purchase his book here.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Line management clip for spey casters.

Quote:

lefty

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Spent Saturday morning helping the Friends of the Delaware put it an new access point on the WB near Deposit. Hella hot work. The river was blown out so we went down the the Beaverkill to fish when done. Nailed a 16" football of a brown on my second cast. Two more within the hour, but the fishing wasn't great so we waited it out on the bank until sunset. Then bam! Spinner fall. It's insane standing in a river with fish rising 12" away from you in every direction. Fished until the black.

Unfortunately the river was high and to get in we had to wade up to chest level that allowed access a small ridge where you could cast to the far bank. With no light it was like trying to walk across a room filled with bowling balls with your eyes closed. We all went in.

lefty

15. romafan

romafan Senior member