Fly fishing

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Jul 26, 2010.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Flying into Bozeman, staying outside of Ennis. Mostly fishing the Madison down into Yellowstone. Sometimes they fish the Big Hole, Jefferson, or Beaverhead, though apparently those can get very crowded.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Hell of a trip. Have fun.

lefty

3. classicgrey

classicgrey Well-Known Member

Expected as much out of you Lefty. You've never been a big supporter, and I don't give a rip about your opinion anymore.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thanks, I'm definitely excited. I'm sure I'll look like a fool given how long it's been since I've fished, but it'll be a great time.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

That's fair.

As a ff video it's not particularly compelling. As a brand video for a clothing company it's too studied and earnest; tepid and precious, and therefore doing the company a huge disservice. The problem is that many retailers don't realize that what works in a lookbook photo shoot does not work in a video.

lefty

6. classicgrey

Lefty, thanks for your opinion, but you don't you have a clue what you're talking about. Do yourself a favor and quit talking.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

You're welcome. But I guess you're right. After 20+ years of award-winning film and TV experience what could I possibly know?

lefty

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

snarky lefty is second only to well-versed lefty.

haven't done any fishing in a long time. Was going to go a few times but we got some (sorely needed) rain each time. Oh well.

Going to Charleston, SC this weekend. Any places to fish (any style) or rent gear? Small car don't want to haul my pole (twss?).

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Think that's mostly redfish in the marshes. Need a boat.

This kind of stuff drives me crazy. Kids in brand new clothes (with some really awkward shots of the logos) doing everything on the requisite hipster fuckhead list. The random shot of the cigar box with no one smoking was great. Honestly, the DSLR is the worst thing to happen to the video world.

I know I'm being an asshole but I love the way you give a young kid a mild criticism and they lose their fucking minds.

lefty

10. classicgrey

Who do you think you are? Why are you so angry that you can't be happy for a young kid passionate about his job and feel the need to mock me? I don't need your approval, but you've already stated your dislike of the video. Give it a rest.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Well now I just feel like a bully. I'm not mocking you, though helpful hint time - if someone criticizes your work try not to fall apart. Not everything you do is worthy of a pat on the head.

The problem with the video is that it's inauthentic and a poor representation of the Filson brand. Try harder.

lefty

Last edited: May 17, 2013

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

cg, you may want to listen to lefty. The man knows of what he speaks.

13. classicgrey

Fall apart? I'm not going to sit back and let you bash my work. Of course I'm going to stick up for it.

It doesn't get much more authentic. The whole thing was done just following a few guys around and capturing them in the moment.

It's interesting you say it's not a good portrayal of Filson because they've hired the guys behind the video to do personal work for them after seeing this.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

What was your role on this video?

Anglers who carry a fly rod like Opie carried a pole don't really come across as authentic. Besides looking like a video of kids who are playing at traditional ff, I guess my biggest problem is that it's just dull.

It's unfortunate that Filson hired them. Such is the way of modern marketing.

edit: In retrospect, I doubt Filson is using these guys. This is the kind of ff video that Filson features on their site:

Do you see the difference?

lefty

15. classicgrey

What happened that made you so jaded toward life and happiness? I feel sorry for you.

Argue if you want about Filson hiring them, but it's true. Sorry to turn your world upside down.