1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fly fishing

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Jul 26, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Yeah spring run off can be insane. Then there's the tailwaters. If you hear a few long blasts of a horn you get your ass out of the water pronto. They've opened the dam gates and the river could rise a metre or more in a matter of minutes.

lefty

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Same here there are a few tailwaters that through summer are insane, they have high flows of around 9000ML per day for irrigation. Pretty well un-fishable on fly at that flow here and just plain dumb with bait and spinning. Lots of farmland around here that needs the water. But, the water corporations that control the dams and releases are pretty forward thinking and you can look up what the flows are or will be for the near future on their websites and plan around.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Longer piece on 90-year-old Frank Moore:

lefty

4. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

The horizontal rod, bent wrist, open loop, poor timing on the haul ... agreed.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  6. lefty

lefty Senior member

The Fly Fishing Film Tour hits NYC tonight. http://urbanangler.com/news/122.html

Wednesday, March 20th
    Doors open at 6:45 pm - Film starts at 7:00 pm

139 West 26th Street
    (between 6th & 7th Avenue)
    Tickets:
    $25 in advance (at Urban Angler and online)
    $30 at the door

While I kind of hate FFF there's an update to an earlier film I want to see. Hit 'em Again, Doc! is a sequel to Doc of the Drakes which follwed an 83-year-old fellow stricken with Parkinsons on one of his final fishing trips. However, last year he had an operation that curtailed much of the muscle shaking, so he's back on the water.

Trailer:

Doc of the Drakes:

lefty

7. Henry Carter

Gin Clear films are about to release there newest one called Predator this month. I was lucky enough to both see it previewed at the Rise Fly Fishing festival in Australia last year and meet Nick Reygaert, the owner/film maker. He films with 4k camera's like used in top films and the footage is amazing. This one is less trout fishing and more really big predatory fish, like giant barramundi and queenfish (barra & queenies as we say) in Northern Australia.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

You know, that clip is a good example of what I don't like about FFF. The slow walk from the truck, swelling music, longing look at the water, the prefect loop... they all seem the same. The 5D is the worst thing to happen to these types of productions.

Someone needs to create a rock 'n roll fly fishing film.

lefty

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have heard rumors that the season known as piss poor sledding is around the corner, some say it even officially started today. Couple feet of snow on the ground and temps not breaking into the double digits above zero F I find it hard to believe. But the ships are planning on shipping ore from the Iron Range out on Superior starting 1 April, so it must be true. To others April 1 means other things, especially if you know what DEC stands for.

Been tying my own flies for a long time, used to get polar bear hair from Herter's back when you still could. Last couple of years have less and less time for some reason and find myself buying most of them. Especially now that females are putting hackle in their hair and the price of a decent neck has gone through the roof. Just picked up quite a few from Sierra Trading Post and with 35% off from those email fliers they always send most of them worked out to ~$5 a dozen. All except 1 dozen of them were made in Thailand which since the 70's has been providing decent quality flies. And they do look pretty good from what I have seen. They have a decent selection of dries and wets, most importantly in the smaller sizes. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing-flies~d~94/

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Iv'e been buying flies at stp for a while. Had a few copper johns disintegrate but that may have been the fish.

lefty

11. Henry Carter

The Trout Bum guys tried that and it didn't work I didn't think, though it has more to do with there manic direction and filming techniques that could bring on a seizure if your not careful. And heavy metal means that there is no chance of my wife watching it with me.

Interestingly, Nick Reygaert was their main camera man early on when they were still the trout bums. In comparison hiss new stuff is miles in front. I think most of that slow mo stuff is used for trailers and the such, not that I'm defending the use of it.

I see what you mean (it's all a bit wanky right?) though. The thing I like with the Gin Clear films is there is always a theme followed through. Hatch last year explored all the different hatches around the world, this one looks at predatory fish etc etc. It's educational which is what I like about them. Not just double hauling and slow mo, though of course they are there :)

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Froze my ass off this weekend.

Heavy rain Friday turned the Williowemoc and Beaverkill into chocolate milk so no fish on Saturday. Hit the WB Delaware on Sunday - big caddis and hendrickson hatch, but the fish were not responding. Too cold maybe. Stood for two hours in waist deep water waiting for something. Switched to streamers, but again no love. Decided to leave and just about stepped on a rising brown in a riffle. Waited him out for a moment to calm him down and caught him on my second drift. 14" wild brown and my first Catskill trout.

lefty

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. Kai

Kai Senior member

It's unusually cold here in the West. Not much bug activity, and not much fish activity. Still waiting for spring to finally show up.

Loved the SI article on Leonard. I love bamboo rods. (Along with Tenkara, they are all I fish these days.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  15. lefty

lefty Senior member

The weather is changing rapidly up here so I might sneak out next week for a day trip and try and bust that 20"+ brown.

lefty

16. Henry Carter

Getting cold here too and we are desperately in need of some decent rain to start the spawning run properly. We have a trip planned in to the high country in 2 weeks time so fingers crossed.

Took my first fish for the season last weekend (out of about 100 releases) and boy oh boy was it delicious. Nothing like wild brown trout compared to the farmed rainbows we get at the fishmongers here.

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

Don't think I've ever had brown trout. Different that a rainbow?

lefty

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

19. Henry Carter

Headed off to the high country tomorrow morning for an overnighter to fish the spawn run. Rivers are very low still and we haven't had a heap of rain but a little over the last few days and a bit of snow too which should stir them up a bit. Going to be -4 Saturday night so camping should be fun!

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Can you target spawning fish in AUS?

I was skunked two days ago on the Delaware which was pretty frustrating. Just couldn't get the drift or fly right.

lefty

Last edited: May 3, 2013