• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing / Bamboo Fly Rods

Reaction score
I've been fly fishing since I was a kid; a very enjoyable way to spend a day outdoors. Nothing like fooling a trout with a fly. My Grandfather stripped me of the spin cast rod at about age 9 and it was all fly fishing from then on....

Regarding Bamboo Fly Rods: Having had the opportunity several years ago to learn the craft from a Master Maker, I am fortunate to have a selection of rods to choose from; ranging from 6'3'' to 8'6'' depending on the water I plan to fish.

I enjoy handcrafting Split Cane Bamboo Fly Rods.

Nothing like putting your name on something that will be functional long after you leave this world. Sort of an extension of ones life.....

Any Bamboo guys out there?

I enjoy Payne, Young, Dickerson and Gillum. Never fished out West, but I made a Gillum taper for a gentleman in Washington State; and hopefully making a 6'3''soon for a gentleman in Michigan.

Tight Lines !

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a number of them which l inherited from my grandfather - he restored old bamboo rods as a hobby. I've never had the guts to fish with them though. Perhaps one day when my fly fishing skills are a little more polished!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feel free to send me one, but no, I don't have any bamboo rods. I have a short (6'5 or something like that) 4 weight that suits the little creeks I fish.

I have fished out west though (not with that rod). Beautiful country. Didn't catch a whole lot in the day I got to fish out there, just a couple of whitefish. Made for a nice breakfast though.

Reaction score
You should get out to put a line on one of those rods; it will conjour up some memories for you. Some folks think of these rods a fragile but if they are decent rods made from good Bamboo, they are very strong. Sounds like you had a cool Grandfather !

Originally Posted by A Harris
I have a number of them which l inherited from my grandfather - he restored old bamboo rods as a hobby. I've never had the guts to fish with them though. Perhaps one day when my fly fishing skills are a little more polished!

Reaction score
Are you up near the Catskills or West Branch of the Delaware? I bet you have some nice little streams up your way. Even a little graphite rod and a trout with some spirit is good time. I like a short rod too, that 4 weight sounds like fun. Bottom line is you get out to fish !!

Originally Posted by cptjeff
Feel free to send me one, but no, I don't have any bamboo rods. I have a short (6'5 or something like that) 4 weight that suits the little creeks I fish.

I have fished out west though (not with that rod). Beautiful country. Didn't catch a whole lot in the day I got to fish out there, just a couple of whitefish. Made for a nice breakfast though.

BP348

Reaction score
Fly fishing is something I've always wanted to learn/do.

Heck, fishing in general is something I've wanted to learn how to do.

Reaction score
What prevents you from getting started?
A minimal start up expense and your in business....
Fly fishing is a great time.
You can get a great deal right now on some combination packages. As well, waders and such items.
What type of waters are near you? Small streams or bigger waters?

Originally Posted by BP348
Fly fishing is something I've always wanted to learn/do.

Heck, fishing in general is something I've wanted to learn how to do.

BP348

Reaction score
I live in Texas near the coast. Fishing the Gulf would be he best as the closest river is a fair distance away. Problem is I've never done it so I wouldn't even know where or how to start.

Reaction score
I would say start with finding a local outfitter and find out what type of Fly fishing is done in the Gulf. Perhaps Tarpon or Bonefish.....dunno for certain what species? But if the outfitter offers a day rate to go out on a Skiff Boat; he'd also have all the necessary gear for the outing; a great way to find out if it's something you'd enjoy persuing.

Originally Posted by BP348
I live in Texas near the coast. Fishing the Gulf would be he best as the closest river is a fair distance away. Problem is I've never done it so I wouldn't even know where or how to start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads