Flusser on The Sartorialist

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by designprofessor, Feb 11, 2007.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I rather like it or at least aspects of it! I esp like the red trim of the coat. It is adventurous to wear the plaid shirt (the green in the pics) with this coat that has another plaid. Not something that comes to mind quickly. With the solid suede blazer these two work together. Not too sure abbout the scarf though. Maybe a little too much going on.

I like richness of patterns
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=2860&page=54

lol. the only way those two plaids work together is in a forced labor camp like the one flusser has set up.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

lol. the only way those two plaids work together is in a forced labor camp like the one flusser has set up.
    Where? Tell the world your story. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Those who can't do...

Somehow, I'm having trouble believing Flusser's implicit laments about the decline of men's fashion. He seems to be a perfect poster child for guys who know how they should dress but just don't care enough to bother.

How can he really make fun of Thom Browne?

I do like the coat however...

4. Soph

Soph Senior member

Flusser has the most expensive sweatshirt and sweatpants look I've ever seen.[​IMG] At least he looks comfortable.

5. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Those who can't do...
    How can he really make fun of Thom Browne?

No joke; Flusser looks like he just came off a weeklong plaid bender.

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I suppose I shouldn't really care but I sort of feel betrayed.

I still consider Dressing the Man to be the best guide to classic style in book format (Tutee's e-essays being the best overall) but now that it's quite clear that it was (ghost-)written rather cynically I reach for it a little less often.

I say it must be written cycnically since he author seems to have quit dressing up when he realized that he can sell as many pseudo-bespoke suits in sweat pants as he could dressing how he ostensibly recommends.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

The author seems to have quit dressing up when he realized that he can sell as many pseudo-bespoke suits in sweat pants
    He's gained a significant amount of weight since he had his shop at Saks. He may have eaten himself out of his wardrobe and resorted to the sweatsuit look as others have done. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes to wearing a caftan next.

8. The Happy Stroller

The Happy Stroller Senior member

You've got the right idea, Soph, pure comfort. The only missing to protect him from the elements is a hat.[​IMG]

Flusser has the most expensive sweatshirt and sweatpants look I've ever seen.[​IMG] At least he looks comfortable.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

He's gained a significant amount of weight since he had his shop at Saks. He may have eaten himself out of his wardrobe and resorted to the sweatsuit look as others have done. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes to wearing a caftan next.
    He'll try to pass it off as being "influenced by Paul Bowles".

10. James Douglas Collection

James Douglas Collection Active Member

I hope this is a bad day look for him because if it's not It's sad to say people actually pay money for his fashion advice. AND FOR WHAT!!!!!!!!!

11. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Close-up shot

[​IMG]

Found on the same page [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Perhaps a man 30 years your junior can pull this off, but not on you Mr. Flusser. I still love your books though.

13. Soph

Soph Senior member

Found on the same page [​IMG]

[​IMG][/quote]

My first thought is a homeless man.

14. graphix

graphix Senior member

hmm.. im really surprised by all the hate on this image...

to me its something akin to picaso to degas, adams to man ray. i mean the guy is making fashion, breaking rules, having fun. The colors and textures are rich,warm and inviting. The kind of person id want approach and talk to and find out more...

the fit is 'old' prolly the way he feels when he gets out of bad on a cold winter day and his joints hurt and back hurts...yet he embraces it with style and a youthful playfulness.

I guess i always give older people a bit of slack as well, i mean when im old and sore and tired i expect to be able to do whatever the hell i want and really not give a damn what people think.

to me it just screams "i love clothes!!!" even if it is a bit wild.

peace,
    B

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Well, he has a range of alternatives: ponchos, muumuus, capes, jumpsuits, unisheets, muslin body rolls, academic and judicial robes...