• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flusser: Navy Suits "Overpowering" for Young Men

Paul3144

Reaction score
I was reading Alan Flusser's Clothes and the Man and I came across a quote that I found interesting: "However, it [solid navy suit] may look a little overpowering on a young man." I never thought of it that way and I'm not sure if I agree with that statement. What do you all think?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I look smashing in my solid navy suit. However, I have a very conservative style.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bead or chalk stripes definitely

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know there was a great picture of Flusser looking like a cross between Yoda and the Unabomber floating around the net a couple months ago. . .

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I may understand what he's saying. Many young professionals can look a bit uncomfortable in a suit in the first place. Given the bold statement that a navy suit makes, I can see how the "mommy told me I should dress like this" effect could be intensified.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Flusser is much more dated than people think.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, many young men do have an aversion to navy. They prefer gray and, the less stylish ones, black.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF? How is navy "overpowering" or "a bold statement"? It's probably the most common suit color, and that includes young men. In and of itself as a suit color, it's pure vanilla.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I am 31 and look to be in my early twenties, or so jurors tell me. I think part of the reason they take me serious is that I dress "old." Navy suits are my bread and butter, although I only own one solid navy. Flusser is quite smart, but from time to time, may be a tad dated. Young professionals should all own a solid navy suit, IMO. Appearances lend a first impression, but nothing more. The rest is up to you.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, making good impressions...of course, but many young people do believe navy is harder to match than gray or black. It seems a little bit weird with navy-base ties (which may give it that near match feeling) as well as other standards.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
WTF? How is navy "overpowering" or "a bold statement"? It's probably the most common suit color, and that includes young men. In and of itself as a suit color, it's pure vanilla.
I disagree, I think it's bolder than pretty much any shade of gray. Not that it's more elegant or dressy or tasteful or anything of the sort, just more eye-catching. If you're going to wear an ill-fitting or poor quality suit, you're better off in a grey - its flaws will stand out far less readily.

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
I prefer solid charcoal over navy, but it most certainly isn't "overpowering" for young men. Another reason why we shouldn't take the fashionistas too literally, even if it is Mr. Flusser.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Alan Flusser is a twat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads