• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flusser: Navy Suits "Overpowering" for Young Men

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Alan Flusser is a twat.
You, of course left yourself open to this one:

How would you recognize a tear if you saw one?
wink.gif

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
I disagree, I think it's bolder than pretty much any shade of gray. Not that it's more elegant or dressy or tasteful or anything of the sort, just more eye-catching. If you're going to wear an ill-fitting or poor quality suit, you're better off in a grey - its flaws will stand out far less readily.

I don't understand this. If it's ill fitting grey or navy it looks like young guy in a old man's suit. I think dark charcol might be a better first choice for a younger guys suit but if it were navy and it fit well it wouldn't be a mistake.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
I don't understand this. If it's ill fitting grey or navy it looks like young guy in a old man's suit. I think dark charcol might be a better first choice for a younger guys suit but if it were navy and it fit well it wouldn't be a mistake.
My first proper suit was a dark green check Aquascutum. After that piece of poor judgement everything has seemed rather easy to wear.
biggrin.gif

TD

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
I think I may understand what he's saying. Many young professionals can look a bit uncomfortable in a suit in the first place. Given the bold statement that a navy suit makes, I can see how the "mommy told me I should dress like this" effect could be intensified.

I completely agree. That or it looks like your trying to hard.

Caomhanach

Reaction score
I remember the last day my training company formed up on the grinder at Government Island where the big Pan Am clippers used to head off for Hawai'i and beyond. Seagulls were calling, wind flapping our tarbacks and Chief Wiliams barked 'dress right dress' to the survivors of basic training. Overpowering?
lol8[1].gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
god forbid you look like your serious about what you do, and you care about your appearance.

"try hard". this country could stand to try a little harder at something other then looking like a mess.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's stupid. navy is the basic entry level suit color, maybe the best

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I got my first custom suit at age 22, from Flusser's shop, and it was navy, on his recommendation.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That book was written a while back and that caveat for navy may have been more of a "heads up" than a suggestion that you don't wear it. Certainly he likes navy suits for most men. http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...back-to-basics Flusser doesn't like black suits for day wear. If he could choose today he would probably choose a navy blue suit over a black suit for a new entrant. Again, back when that book was written, American men did not wear very colorful or boldly patterned shirts for work and the navy blue suit might have overpowered the rest of the ensemble in the same way a black suit can sometimes do today. But with the riot of color going on for shirts and ties...

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I am not a young man and I prefer gray, but solid blue and solid gray are probably the first two suits a man should own regardless of his age. I think this is poor advice from Flusser.

Cheers, Jim.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
aflusyb3.jpg
Stick with blue as a young man, and this as an old man.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since I was a child I've always had a navy suit. I've gone through many over the years but my worst one was when I was about 7 years old - the suit had short pants. My best include the two currently in my rotation.

EuropeanInterloper Redux

Reaction score
Contextualize this. Yes, maybe a blue suit worn by someone who doesn't have the presence to carry it is a mistake.

But how much more of a mistake would an overpowering pinstripe be? A PoW check on the first day of work?

It's hard to imagine an senior partner decrying the dress sense of "That young turk in the navy blue suit!" whereas I could easily envisage someone being hung out to dry for their OTT pinstripe.

Flusser, as ever, must be taken with a grain of salt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads