1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Flusser: Light, Bright and blonde (pics)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, May 7, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

This fellow obviously feels much better in the right photo[[​IMG]] as does Conan O'Brien. The white dress shirt doesn't do any favors to lighter complexions. Flusser does the tie to hair match again.
    [​IMG]

2. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Knowing his photoshop history, I'm reluctant to put too much weight behind his arguments. Sure, he may be right, but why can't his point stand on its own? Why resort to photoshop?

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

In this picture I just think that the shirt/tie combonation on the right is a bad one for just about anybody.

Not that I think this whole complexion thing never matters, I think a lot of times it does. For example, black guys usually look really good in pink or yellow shirts whereas those shirts don't always look good on light white guys. But, this whole thing about matching your tie with your hair and whatnot, I think Flusser just needed to write something to add pages to his book so that he could sell it.

And again, it's very misleading that he has his model smile in the picture where he wants you to think that the model looks good and be expressionless in the picture where he wants you to think he looks bad.

4. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

But, this whole thing about matching your tie with your hair and whatnot, I think Flusser just needed to write something to add pages to his book so that he could sell it.

QFE. I always found the section with lots of vaguely contradictory guidelines for working with your complexion/hair the weakest part of the book (excepting, of course, the business casual bit, which is more or less inaccrochable.)

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Matching ties to the hair often does work very well. But it is a just an option, and Flusser sometimes comes across as too opinionated and restrictive.

What's his photoshop history?

6. dah328

dah328 Senior member

QFE. I always found the section with lots of vaguely contradictory guidelines for working with your complexion/hair the weakest part of the book (excepting, of course, the business casual bit, which is more or less inaccrochable.)
    No, it's just among the hardest sections to understand and/or appreciate. Part of the problem with the example above is that Flusser's example of a poor color choice isn't an egregious choice so the difference is less obvious. Had he put the model in a pale yellow shirt, the difference would have been much more obvious.

This is all to say that you can be put together in clothing of the highest quality with impeccable fit, coordination, detailing and occasion-appropriate colors, but if the colors of your clothing run sufficiently counter to the tone of your skin and hair, you will not look good. This is not to say that the guidelines here are not fluid, but for a forum dedicated to the finer points of men's clothing, I find the general pooh-poohing of color awareness to be baffling.

dan

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

No, it's just among the hardest sections to understand and/or appreciate. Part of the problem with the example above is that Flusser's example of a poor color choice isn't an egregious choice so the difference is less obvious. Had he put the model in a pale yellow shirt, the difference would have been much more obvious.

This is all to say that you can be put together in clothing of the highest quality with impeccable fit, coordination, detailing and occasion-appropriate colors, but if the colors of your clothing run sufficiently counter to the tone of your skin and hair, you will not look good. This is not to say that the guidelines here are not fluid, but for a forum dedicated to the finer points of men's clothing, I find the general pooh-poohing of color awareness to be baffling.

dan

I wasn't pooh-poohing color awareness, I was pooh-poohing the examples that Flusser was using and the intellectual dishonesty of having one model smiling and the other with a plain face.

As I said, certain colors work better with certain complexions, but the differences are much more subtle than what Flusser is trying to make them out to be. In fact, I would bet that this is why he has to touch up the photos with photoshop - because in real people the differences aren't that dramatic within the same person unless the changes in color are dramatic.

For example, the difference between a black guy wearing a yellow shirt and a white guy wearing a yellow shirt is pretty dramatic. Also the difference between a white guy wearing a yellow shirt and a white guy wearing a blue shirt is pretty dramatic. However, the difference between a white guy wearing a light blue shirt and a white guy wearing a medium blue shirt is pretty subtle.